No announcement yet.

Giving up vices before surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I wanted was water with lots of ice and fruit salad. Maybe because it was summer and I was ALWAYS hot.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

weight issue

i weigh 130 pounds and im 5'6 ,30 years old.will i really lose about 10 pounds or so? do i need to eat as much as i want now so my weight will even out after surgery?
      Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I lost a bit but then gained more, as my straight back makes the weight kinda distribute itself more since I had a very small, crushed torso before, and plus my body craved food after the first few weeks, and not doing much does make you gain.

Just eat healthy and sweets as well if you want them.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

i lost 17 pounds after surgery..my mom kept encouraging me to eat healthy stuff before..less sugar, more protein...at that time i wasnt a big caffeine junkie so not sure how that would go.
          yah,so all my friends knew i was a chocoholic,so thats what i got as a get well present...and i think i ate 5lbs of chocolate during my recuperation....put all the weight back on when you are in the hospital eat what you want becuz the "unhealthy" food tastes the best, and trust me, you wont be eating a whole lot
          8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

Been throught the lot! LOL

Hi,

I had my surgery at 15, I was a normal weight 125lbs and 5'2", I gained 2.5 inches in height and lost a fair bit of weight b/c I had no appetite. I remember the nurses telling me and my friend Jo we could have ANYTHING as long as we ate SOMETHING, so we got our heads together (not actually as we were both flat on our backs speaking to each other through me bedside cabinet with the sides dropped down so we could see each other!) and came up with Strawberries and Cream. In January. In the UK. Not something our Mums could find anywhere in 1991. I still love strawberries and cream and it always reminds me of my friend Jo.
            We also had McDonalds brought in, and pizza and my Mum cooked my fave home food and brought it in to heat up to get me to eat! It was great!!!
            By the time I left hospital I had to tighten my post-op brace extra so it didn't slip down as I'd lost so much weight.

Now I am 5'2.5" tall, weigh 155lb, my jeans are getting tight so I am happy about losing a few pounds when I go in for revision surgery in 2 weeks time.
            I have stopped smoking 3 months ago(and so the marajuana I was smoking for pain relief 5 months ago), don't really drink alcohol anyway, and managed to go 'cold turkey' on the caffiene by switching to decaf coffee, still like the occasional coke though
            Am also hoping to gain those 2 inches back I lost aswell.

I can't see the point in making yourself unhappy by giving up all your favorite food/drinks before surgery, I mean surgery is such a big thing and to give up everything you like at such a stressful time anyway will be difficult and as I see it an unnessessary stress to put yourself through (apart from smoking of course)

Good Luck Chris

Kat x
            Last edited by RoundTheTwist; 10-25-2006, 06:28 AM. Reason: Can't spell :)
            1st Surgery in 1991 aged 15
            Fused T2 to L2
            'S' curve
            Before surgery T39 L49
            Revision surgery 6th Nov 2006

Comment

Working...
            X