No announcement yet.

burning sensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had it for two years, and then sometimes when inflammation would set in.

This last surgery I had it a lot after the two month mark, as the nerves started regrowing or "waking up" after those first few months. Actually that's when pain starts and for the next year it's a roller coaster ride. I still have it ten months post op, but I also have a screw that hits a nerve on the right side.

I didn't take pain meds after the one month mark, as I have a lot of allergies to many types and I also prefer dealing with more pain than with side effects(like constipation and sleepiness/dizziness). Lying down and walking helped, and not wearing tight clothing-that's the worse.

I think it is mostly in the thoracic region, between shoulder blades and my lumbar fusion doesn't hurt nearly as much. Shoulder blades are the pain.

ONLY time helps, no exercises can make it better as it is about nerves. Some exercises actually make it worse.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by Cakedec
      Dear lBloodojunkieg:

Funny that you wrote on the pain between your shoulders thing because I am going through t he very same thing right now. I am just 12 weeks post-op and have noticed the burning start up the last month, gradually getting worse this week. My fusion goes up to T5 and it is definitely upper back between my shoulders where the burning problem is; especially at the end of
      my fusion.

I am ok first thing in the morning but after I've been moving around about 3 hours, I feel it start in. I think that hunching over makes it worse; whether I am standing or sitting. Changing position helps some or trying to stretch my torso taller. Yesterday it felt like it was making all my upper back muscles tighten up clear up to my neck and I was miserable. I had my husband rub my shoulders and neck and it did help the muscles stop contracting some.

I really think that it is a healing pain of the muscles and nerves like some of the posters have said. I don't like hearing that it can take two years, as I need to go back to work sometime soon, also. Maybe if I can go lie on a couch or in my car every two hours, I could do it.

Are you on any pain killers yet? I notice that it gets worse when my pain reliever gives out and once I take it, the pain lessens. I am seeing my dr. next week and will discuss it with him and let you know what he says. I hope to start physical therapy soon and hope that will help and not worsen it.

Feel free to PM or email me anytime as it sounds like we are at the same stage after surgery and having the same symptoms.

Deb Collin
      age 47
      posterior surgery 7/24/06
      for S curve T70, L76
      30 degrees correction
      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

We are both 12 weeks post-op. I find it wierd that it's getting worse for you. It is not getting any worse for me, if anything it has decreased just a little bit since surgery. I also feel good when I get up, but after a little while it hurts. I haven't taken any pain killers since a week after I got home, which was about 2 weeks after surgery. My doctor wants people to get off pain killers as soon as possible. I thought "What?? No more pain medication only after 2 weeks?" I was fine though.

Sweetness, what is inflammation?

Comment

capsaicin and or express gel

I have burning between my shoulder blades and muscle spasms that make it impossible to continue whatever I'm doing- it usually comes on when I'm cooking. For years I had burning on my lower shin and used capsaicin cream on it. Over time it helped more than all the other treatments. Even better than neurontin. But for the pain between my shoulders, I recommend "express gel". It is made at a compounding pharmacy. According to the patient information sheet it contains a combination of either ketoprofen and gabapentin or piroxicam, amitriptyline and carbamazepine in a proprietary penetrating gel base. As soon as a spasm of pain hits I ask someone to rub a very small dot of this stuff on the painful spot with their finger and within a minute the pain is gone.
        DEFINITELY A ONE MINUTE MIRACLE!
        Hope you can find someone to make this up for you. Don't give up until you try it. I am fused t2 to s2. Take my word for it, after 41 years and 8 surgeries dealing with scoliosis, I have SOME expertise. *SOME*, not alot, but some.
        Jeralyn is Queen!

Comment

Originally posted by lbloodojunkieg
          We are both 12 weeks post-op. I find it wierd that it's getting worse for you. It is not getting any worse for me, if anything it has decreased just a little bit since surgery. I also feel good when I get up, but after a little while it hurts. I haven't taken any pain killers since a week after I got home, which was about 2 weeks after surgery. My doctor wants people to get off pain killers as soon as possible. I thought "What?? No more pain medication only after 2 weeks?" I was fine though.

Sweetness, what is inflammation?
          Hi,

inflammation is when the muscles and tissues get "swollen" so to speak, and it happens when I either do a repetetive movement or get heat or a massage near my rods. I think you are healing, and that's normal.

My doctor was like yours, no pain meds after a few weeks and this has pros and cons IMO. I am thankful I didn't have withdrawals from any pain meds since I wasn't on them too long, and I also don't like side effects that some give, especially since I'm very sensitive to them. On the bad side my recovery was very long, and I didn't get back to a more normal life for months, so in retrospect I should have asked or pressed them for some meds to take on bad days at least. But like you, they're fearful of addiction here, especially for younger patients. Now it's not as bad and they have changed their mentality a bit.

I hear Neurontin is not a narcotic, and some have said they have gotten a lot of relief for their nerve pains, maybe you can ask your doc for that.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
          X