Had my bending xrays today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianB
    I'll have to look into this. My doctor didn't mention anything about it when we were discussing my working out, etc. Is it possible that it may hurt more because of the extra muscle, but also, in turn, would heal faster because of the extra muscle?
    I seriously don't know and have wondered about the same thing. Maybe some who do know can tell you and of course ask your surgeon. I'm curious to know what the answer is. I read muscles don't help in David Wolpert's scoliosis surgery book. I know building muscles help after surgery, like swimming for example.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Physical therapy exercises

Hi bsprings and others,

As far as exercises go, I'll try to outline a few: I've done yoga stretches every morning for as long as I can remember. There is a yoga DVD (and book) specifically for scoliosis patients by Elise Browning Miller. I believe you can order it through the NSF website. There are some good exercises on there, but here's what I do (I hope I can explain it in words):
      I do general stretches and twists of the back (obviously not for post-op patients) like "cat-cow" and the "sun salute."

I have one of those exercise balls and I do a couple of exercises on that: I sit on it and lift one leg at a time, working on balance and core strength, I lay across it and lift opposite arms and legs, I put it between my back and the wall and do leg bends (hope that is clear??), I do leg lifts lying down on the floor (without the ball), the "bridge pose" where you are on your back and raise your hips up (it helps to put your legs on the exercise ball too to work on balance).

At the gym I use the eliptical (sp?) machine, and different weight machines for leg strength. Two are the weights that work either your outer thighs or your inner thighs (where you push your legs apart or bring them together). Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining these.

Finally, I work on my leg strength by doing kicking in the pool and treading water.

Sorry that was long, but maybe something was helpful??? Maybe other people can add exercises that have helped them too . . .
      Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Anya! That really helps!
        Cathie

Comment

Muscle

Hello all,

Regarding the question of building back muscle prior to having surgery and the Dr. cutting through it I actually discussed this with my Dr. It was NOT a concern of his at all. He thought it great I was so motivated to get in great shape. We joked that if I hurt my back in the gym he would fix it in surgery!

Brian, I laughed at the memory of my first time in my pool post-op when you mentioned aquatic programs. I felt so great being weightless! Thought I would try to float just for the fun of it and sunk like a rock! I have always taught my family and friends how to float and I couldn't! Now the rods and screws don't weigh that much so I figured it had to be the fact I lost so much weight. I had no buoyancy left! I also have to mention the fact that when I got out of the weightlessness of the pool I felt so heavy and could feel the pressure on my back again. I wanted to live in the pool to avoid that feeling. Inspiration available whenever you want.

Anya, Good exercises. The leg bends and bridge are great ones. Don't forget your obliques. (on each side of stomach) Try putting the ball against your stomach while laying on your side with knees bent up to the ball. Hands together pushing down on the ball (elbows slightly bent) and tensing/releasing your sides. You can do it with legs bent (on your back) to work stomach muscles too. Push it to the top of your knees and do the same and it works different muscles. Hey, we should put together a list of pre and post-op exercises!

Comment

Suzy--meant to ask you: you seem to be still doing P.T. at this point....does insurance still pick it up for you?? I think I only can go until end of October(I started in Sept.) but my P.T. people said I can use their facility for only $40 a mth which I might do at least for Nov,maybe Dec.....Ly

Comment

back muscles

I am having surgery in January and I asked my surgeon if working out my back muscles with exercises or weights can make my back muscles too tight or build them up too much that it would make it difficult for him to cut through the muscles in surgery. He said No - he thought it was great that I worked out and said I should continue.

Sue

Comment

This is great news - it seems like quite a few doctors seem to think it's okay to work out your back muscles. I'm also going to ask a PT friend of mine and see what she thinks. I'll let you all know. I do know that, among other things, doing pull-ups has completely relieved what little discomfort I have ever felt in my back, so I'm not giving it up! And for those of you looking for ways to increase protein and fiber in your diet (since that seems to be a common theme), I highly recommend Kashi products, especially their GoLean Crunch cereal, energy bars, waffles, and other products. Taste great, all natural, and have lots of protein and fiber. (No, I do not work for them!)
                32 y/o male
                S curve - upper, 50 degrees, lower 43 degrees
                Waiting and watching after seeing 2 doctors...

Comment

Venting!

Okay - so this is to lighten things up a bit, but I have to share. I'm sure we've all been through similar experiences. Most people I talk to about this process wish me all the best, listen to everything, and then say that it seems like I am making the best decision. WELL - I'm on a trip meeting with some colleagues and, of course, this one guy seemed to have other answers. OMG. Have I considered other options? OF COURSE! I'm not first in line to jump onto a table or anything, but will certainly do so if it is the best option for me now and my future! Then he started asking me if I sleep on my tummy and if I stop, it may go away. HELLO?!?! So I explained to him a third time that you can't reverse scoliosis without surgery and, in my case, not even stop it. Then came my favorite part. Seriously... "Well," he says - "I was having back pain last year so I went to get some x-rays. They told me I had some scoliosis. So I went to a chiropractor and she made me feel a lot better. A year later, I went for x-rays and my scoliosis was gone! You should try that!" OOMMGG... I reiterated that chiropractors can't reverse scoli and that I had been going to one this whole time that it was getting worse - even their own national website says that!! So my explanation to him was either an idiot took his x-rays, an idiot diagnosed his x-rays, or something else to do with an idiot... (I'm really not a mean person) But come on, like all of us, we have certainly been doing our research before jumping into this. I know he was just trying to be nice, but he drives me crazy to begin with - if his chiropractor really fixed it in a year, I'll be sure to post his/her name on this site as long as you all promise to let me go first...
                  32 y/o male

Comment

Hi Brian,

Yes, that is very frustrating. A lot of people don't understand scoliosis especially because most people who have scoliosis don't have it as badly as we all do.

People's ignorance can be very upsetting. I also find that people appreciate it when I talk openly about my condition so that they can finally "understand" (to the best of their ability). For example, yesterday one of my friends said, "well you don't look like you have a back problem." I told her to feel my spine and it wasn't until she put her hand on my back and realized how far over to the left my curve went that she said, "Wow - I had no idea!" She thanked me for letting her get a better understanding of my condition. For better or worse, this is a condition where we really have to educate people. I know it is frustrating, but sometimes educating people about it actually make us feel more empowered - if that makes any sense?

Best,
                    Anya
                    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

That guy seems like he's annoying, lol.

But yeah, most people who don't have any type of health issues don't get or understand what they're about. Like for another type of example, certain people with big curves don't experience much pain where others who have small ones do. I also dislike when some people think that b/c one person they know has a certain disease or condition and they are all right or have certain symptoms, that everybody is the same. Like with MS or cancer for example. The one thing that gets me the most is when some say being positive will cure anything. It certainly can't hurt, and can make bad times and illnesses easier to deal with, but I know some people who were extremely positive who lost their battle to cancer and others who were majorly depressed who beat it.

Anyways, some venting of my own All done now.
                      Last edited by sweetness514; 10-21-2006, 02:13 PM.
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Amen to all of that. I am in complete agreement with educating people about it. He started coming around a little more today. (But he is pretty dorky, so how much can you really ask for?) And the ironic thing - his back was hurting him more than mine at the end of the day yesterday after working all day... I guess it all just goes to show you how much this forum should not be taken for granted. I truly feel like I have learned as much here as from my doctor - just "different" things. Kinda like those life lessons that you never learn in college but should know before graduating.
                        32 y/o male

Comment

Brian, I was smiling while reading about the idiot! Isn't is ridiculous how some people are so gullible? I have a acquaintance who is a chiropractor who's wife has scoliosis and he won't touch her!! I feel like going on tour of all the schools of chiropractors and telling them to quit misleading the scoliosis patients and direct them to real Dr's. Geez! There have been some who have spent years and $$$ with one only to have their curves increase then be told they can't be "helped" any more!

Lynne, Yes I am still in P.T. and my Ins. does pay for it. Since this surgery is so big and the recovery is so long I don't fall under the normal "limits" set in my plan. (Which was 20 visits per yr.) Mt P.T. just told me my Dr. wrote a very detailed and generous Rx for my therapy. I can't believe the back muscles I am getting! And my abs look great too! LOL! It is tough but it works.

Comment

Personal Trainer

Hi all,

Well, I met with a personal trainer today and it made me feel better about the whole sit-up thing. He told me he doesn't like to have anyone do situps because it puts a tremendous strain on the back / spine and that there are lots of other ways to work them out. And I believe him, since he worked them to death. Wow. Another interesting thing, which I will check with my doctor about - he told me that, about two months out from surgery, it would be a good idea for me to try and gain some weight - maybe 8-10 pounds combination of muscle and fat so that it won't be so bad when I lose weight after surgery. Right now, I don't have a whole lot to lose and the extra weight would apparently help so that my body wouldn't lose as much weight in my muscles, etc. Anyone go through something similar? I like this guy- he doesn't want me doing any spinal compression or twisting exercises or squats with weights on my shoulders - says we can work all those muscles in other ways. I have my first full session with him on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be able to post after it. lol.
                            32 y/o male

Comment

I was very thin before surgery, and donating blood combined with stress an having been on a low sugar diet had made it worse so it would have helped to have more weight on. By the time I had surgery I was barely 100 pounds(I was 5'4"). After surgery the weight came on naturally for me, after the first few weeks I started eating more again. I'm now always between 120 and 130 pounds, and grew an inch from surgery(5'5"), and yes the weight and muscles help with not feeling hardware as much.

Comment

Brian -

Some people are idiots. There, I said it.
                                Brandi
                                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                                L1-S1
                                Dr. William Lauerman
                                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X