No announcement yet.

Surgery next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joan, congratulations on being on 'the other side' of your surgery!! You will have some rough times yet, but each day will see some small improvements. You are in my prayers!

As for your questions, it's a good idea to 'stagger' your pain meds and muscle relaxants so that you will be taking either one or the other every 2 hrs or so.... depends of course on your prescription dosage... but i found that by taking pain meds at one time and then halfway along take a muscle relaxant, that i managed to keep the worst of the spasms away.
    Walking: start with a few minutes in the morning and a few in the afternoon, and gradually increase times... You don't have to try to do the whole time in one go. By my 6 week check-up, dr. wanted me walking a mile a day...
    Constipation will be a bother for as long as you take pain meds, i'm afraid.... Ask for some Glycolax aka Miralax.... it's a very gentle but effective laxative that you can take from now on if you need to... You mix it in with a liquid and i promise you don't taste it or feel grit or anything... I still take it myself at 1 yr post op. It isn't fiber or stool softener, but a real laxative. was a life-saver for me..
    Sleeping.... well... it's difficult. As long as your recliner feels good to you, stay there. When you start lying in bed, pillows under your knees help, and between the knees when on your side... also a lower pillow under my head felt good to me instead of being propped up. I felt like it kept my spine straighter while it healed too....
    God bless you... Hang in there, it will only get better!!!

Comment

Joan,

Best of luck for a comfortable and speedy recovery. For me, my spasms were relieved by Flexeril (a muscle relaxer). Walk around the house a couple of times a day and gradually increase the amount of time you spend walking eventually walking outdoors. Constipation is an unfortunate consequence of taking narcotic pain relievers which will not entirely resolve itself until you wean off the pain meds. As far as sleeping, if you are comfortable in your recliner (which I was as well) continue to sleep in it until you are ready to sleep in your bed. Or, you might want to rent a hospital bed to use at home. I know my bed was too soft for me to sleep in for the first week or so. I was used to the ones in the hospital. They provide more support. Hang in there, things really do get better.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Glad that you are on the road to recovery. Constipation was BAD! I took stool softeners and I am taking senekot which I think really helps. If I still get stuffed up for lack of a better word I will take a gentle laxative. I also tool my muscled relaxer in between pain meds. Don't need it as much except on bad days. I will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Joan,

If you have one of those cloth bags that is filled with some sort of grain(?), (you can usually heat them in the microwave or put them in the freezer) putting mine in the freezer helped me out with the spasms. Also, just trying to lay in your recliner and clear your mind to where you are concentrating on those muscles relaxing. Sometimes we are all tensed up without realizing it and really thinking about it helps to relax. I took stool softeners three times a day and drank plenty of water to help with constipation. Just remember to let yourself cry if and when you need to. Don't try to be a hero and hold the tears back. They will come whether you want them to or not. It's surprising how much I was comforted just by my son coming home from work and laying on the bed with me to watch an animated movie. He didn't have to say anything, just being there helped. Take it easy and get plenty of sleep.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Joann-congrats on being post-op! I am now about 3 mths post-op & it does get much easier as the weeks go by.. I loved my big ice pack and always had my husband bring it up to me for night time...it helped me greatly! The constipation bothered me more than the aches & pains thru all of this...once I got Senocot, it helped me greatly.& I was also on a stool softener pill.
            good luck..............Lynne
            http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
            fused T-11 to L-5/Dr Boachie/Kim@HSS in NYCity
            95 curve reduced into the 50's/hump reduction..

Comment

Wow Joan --online at 8 days post-op!

Hi Joan and welcome back home and online to our forum.

The worst is behind you and now it's healing and regaining your strength. Some on here suggested a rehab hospital but I didn't go to one after my surgery. I came home 8 days post-op and recovered fine at home; it probably depends on your surgery. As long as you have a helper around for the first few weeks, you'll be ok.

As for your questions, you've already gotten some good answers.

I kept the Dulcolax suppositories in the bathroom as even taking stool softeners wasn't enough for the constipation and laxatives were almost too harsh. Just keep trying the suggestions and eventually you'll find something that works. Once you can cut down on the pain relievers around 6 weeks or so, it really improves. But don't be in too big of a hurry to get off those either as you need them now to rest and be comfortable.

Wow, 70% reduction is great! Did you have anterior/posterior surgery or posterior only? I had posterior and got 50% correction of two double major curves (70,76) which is considered very good at my age!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Deb
              age 47
              posterior surgery 7/24/06
              for S curves T70,L76
              50% correction!
              DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!!!

Comment

Hi Joan,
                Congrats on being post-op. I wish I had known about this forum before my surgery.

I am 4 months since my two surgeries, July 10 and 13. I came right home from the hospital after 10 days, but I did walk up the steps once a day to sleep in my own bed. I have a step-stool to help me into my bed as it is kind of high.

My physical therapist helped me to get comfortable in bed by using a small pillow under each arm and a different one under one leg. Sounds complicated but it really helped.

I found that Peri-Colace 3 times a day was very helpful, as well as the Ducolax suppositories.

Are you in a brace? I was in a leg brace attached to the body brace and that made me so uncomfortable. My recliner was comfortable at first, but then I switched to laying down on the couch.

I didn't drive until 8 weeks, mostly because of the brace being so bulky. Now I got used to it, but I prefer to back into parking spaces using my mirrors so that I don't have to back out and possible hit someone walking. Plus, if you have a handicapped parking permit those spaces have extra room when they are van accessible.

Try to relax and let others help you out. Good luck with your recovery.

Sandy
                [SIZE=3]Sandy B
                Spinal Fusion 7/13/06
                Dr. William A. Lauerman
                Georgetown University Medical Center[
                /SIZE]

Comment

Thanks to all who replied!

I am feeling better just knowing everyone has experienced the same things I have had. I will take all of the suggesions to heart and let you know how it goes.

I just ordered a zero gravidty interactive health chair. The "Relax the Back store" prices were too high, but ebay had a store with these refurbished chairs for lots less. I hope it will be helpful. Delivery on Thursday.

thanks again.
                  Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

I just read through all the posts about surgery. Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5 weeks out of surgery. I still have spasms in my back and I had asked my Dr. if a heating pad would be ok to use - the weather in Cincinnati is all over the place - dropped 20 degrees in 1 day and that really hurt me (that was about 3 weeks ago). He said a heating pad would be ok to use - just keep walking. I also get releif on my back if I lay on my back (with my brace) and prop my knees up - a couple of pillows usually does the trick - it seems to take some of the pressure off.

We have a 2 story home and I was going up and down the stairs upon my return. That was one of my requirements prior to leaving the hospital - PT made me do it....

I'm currently walking over 1 mile a day - I walked 3 a few days ago and the following day I spent in bed - I was exhausted!! Everything takes time. ...And every day gets better.

Constipation?? Well, that's a tricky one - I hadn't passed gas till my last day in the hospital and didn't have my first bowel movement till 5 days after my return home. I'll tell you, it was a party at my house. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything, I was just happy when it finally happened... I called my parents to share :-) If you continue to have problems, there's over the counter medicine that's a stool softener, that may be of help - pushing may be painful - sorry if this is too much information......

I had problems sleeping at first - I needed medication every two hours, but I needed to be turned every hour and 45 minutes. That was driving my husband nuts!! At first I would lay on my back with the hospital bed we rented with the back up, just slightly and the pillows under my knees. Since then, I've noticed that I'm more comfortable with on my sides and need to be turned every 3 hours or so. I also find sleeping on my back without a head pillow comfortable. More often than not, I have my arms up over my head too.

I hope things start to get better for you - hang in there, I promise things will get easier - I hope I've answered all your questions, as best as I can...

Nickie

Comment

Working...
                    X