One week to the surgery and have some concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mariya,

I just wanted to mention that you really are a sweet person and I appreciate how you took the time to reply to everyone of us If I can give you a piece of advice without telling you what to do is try not to regret your decision and move forward thinking of the future and what you want to try to get relief. The bottom line is you can't have surgery when you have too many doubts and especially when your doctor is not communicating well with you about your concerns and expectations. Even if you decide to have surgery in 6 months or a few years, it won't make a difference, and you need to do it when you're ready in every way, it's a very big thing.

Good luck and appreciate this time with your family, and I hope you find relief
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
      Hi mariya,

I just wanted to mention that you really are a sweet person and I appreciate how you took the time to reply to everyone of us If I can give you a piece of advice without telling you what to do is try not to regret your decision and move forward thinking of the future and what you want to try to get relief. The bottom line is you can't have surgery when you have too many doubts and especially when your doctor is not communicating well with you about your concerns and expectations. Even if you decide to have surgery in 6 months or a few years, it won't make a difference, and you need to do it when you're ready in every way, it's a very big thing.

Good luck and appreciate this time with your family, and I hope you find relief
      Hi,

Thanks for writing back that made me feel better knowing that someone read my very long post. lol. When I received so many responses from so many nice people I was just happy to know that so many people cared and that they all thought that I made the right decision. I waned everyone to know that it meant so much to me that everyone had such great advice and because of people like you and others I am so relieved to know that I made the right choice. It really helped me get through the week because it was not easy to let everyone know that I am not going to have surgery which I was so prepared for!! Today I was suppose to have the surgery and I am so happy that I am where I am right now: a home with my kids and honestly pain free.

Like you mentioned I had too many doubts and concerns and that is why I put it off for now. My mom called me today and she was just so happy that I did not go through with it because she says that I rushed into it too soon and that it is never too late to have surgery. She said that she and my dad were both very proud of me and they thought that I made the right decision as well!

Thank you so very much and I am greatful for everything!!! Best wishes to you as well!!!

Mariya
      30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
      8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
      3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
      4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
      2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Working...
      X