Bracing after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

You are exactly my age and I'm working on scheduling surgery right now. I live in Hawaii, so it's almost always hot and humid and I do not look forward to the sweating under a brace. I wear one of those soft ones with the stays in the back for lumbar support even now when I have to stand for more than 20 minutes or so. It really helps the pain, but have been told it isn't good to depend on it for now.
    I still have some night sweats, being 2 years post M, like you. Most likely I'll have my surgery in Oakland at Kaiser. I'm sure I'll stay in Ca. for a few weeks post surgery. Coming home won't be fun with the plane ride and the transition to the heat! Oh well, that's the way it has to be, I guess. Like Linda R says, most adults end up in braces, and if it's neccessay, of course I'll wear it. When is your surgery? What are your curves?
    Berta
    Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Berta,

I have not yet scheduled surgery. I've seen two highly-qualified surgeons in Chicago and I am going for another consultation with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis next month. I have a 75º lumbar curve but only mild discomfort on some days. I take Advil as needed. Sometimes if I go shopping for a couple of hours right after working all day, my back aches and I can't wait to get home to stretch out on my bed. But other than that, I can do pretty much whatever I want. Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to rush into surgery, but almost feel it's inevitable. This past year I've actually experienced a lot more pain in my hands from arthritis than from back discomfort.

Good luck to you.

Chris

Comment

It was the Best thing I ever did!!!!

Berta & Chris,
        good luck to you both! Now looking back on this surgery, I must say it was so overwhelming but I feel it has totally changed my life! I have good days & bad since my surgery date but nothing really horrible. The most annoying pains are those that run thru my legs at times(like menstrual cramps). That's when the pain meds help ! The hardest thing about recovery & peace of mind for me is seeing that my children are looked after for I am slow moving & at times not ready to make a meal..
        Chris-I really do think your recovery will go well with no children involved. That's where most of my worrying came from. Luckily, I hardly asked for help. All my friends with kids the same age just called to take my boys whenever they could. This is my first week alone with them, & so far they have playdates to go to thru Thursday! Even if they were here most of the week, I feel musch stronger & confident that I can handle things now. Last week was a different story & I am so thkful to have had my mom here all week. Keep in mind to try to go to a rehab if insurance covers it & have someone to help you your first week at home & after that you should be able to be fairly self suffiicient...................Lynne

Comment

Working...
        X