Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine
    Hi Renee...

Some surgeons remove the spinous processes and use them for fusion. I don't think there is enough bone to facilitate fusion, however, so I'm thinking that he got bone from elsewhere, or used some donor bone.

--Linda

Hmmmm......my understanding was, nothing would be removed and no donor bone would be used, only Joe's.....the way he explained it, he would chip bone directly from the vertebrae. What do you mean by "spinous processes" - (discs?). Perhaps I should ask him for clarification on this. (Even though) the surgery is done with I still would like to know exactly what was done.

Thanks, Linda. I always appreciate your input

Renee

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower
      Hmmmm......my understanding was, nothing would be removed and no donor bone would be used, only Joe's.....the way he explained it, he would chip bone directly from the vertebrae. What do you mean by "spinous processes" - (discs?). Perhaps I should ask him for clarification on this. (Even though) the surgery is done with I still would like to know exactly what was done.

Thanks, Linda. I always appreciate your input

Renee
      It's the most prominent part of the posterior elements of the spine:

http://www.uhn.ca/programs/spine/ima...a_labelled.gif

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

Thanks for the link. It could be that the spinous processes were what was used, and I misunderstood the explanation and assumed it was bone that was used. I do know the surgeon said no other fusion material would be used other then what came from Joe. I do notice that starting about an inch or so below the top of the fusion, the spine feels "smoother". In other words, the vertebrae feel less defined. Could this be a reason, or could that just be from the scar?

Renee

Comment

Linda,

Thanks for the link. It could be that the spinous processes were what was used, and I misunderstood the explanation and assumed it was bone that was used.
          The spinous processes are bone.

I do notice that starting about an inch or so below the top of the fusion, the spine feels "smoother". In other words, the vertebrae feel less defined. Could this be a reason, or could that just be from the scar?
          Sorry, I don't know.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X