Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just back from surgery...heres my recovery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

had a set back....OUCH!!!!!!!

Well i haven't been on in while and things we doing so well.Then out of nowhere some really weird and horrible painful thing happened. It was so weird and almost happened in stages.About a week or so ago i was kinda like stretching/adjusting myself in bed when this kinda like pop happened.I was almost like stuck for a second and then felt rib pain and got stiff.I tried to dismiss it and go back to bed.The next day i was just sitting on the couch debating whether or not to see the dr. and i reached for my phone and it snapped/popped again on my upper left side (near the top of my incision ) and this hurt like a pain i have NEVER felt. I had my mom take me to the emergency and i was soooo afraid i would need an emergency re-operation to fix this horrible thing.This car ride was worse than my original ride after my surgery and the pain was 10 millon times more severe.I had x-rays taken at the hospital to check the hardware ( which was fine ) and had pain meds in and IV (super needed).They had no answers for me and thought i may have either 1.tore some scar tissue 2.popped a stich inside or 3.my rib may have fractured? i don't know.All i knew was it was HORRIBLE.I could not sit,lay down,eat,sleep,move,breathe NOTHING.The pain was unbearable.After a like 2/3 days it seemed to get better (i lived in the shower,like 5 a day to help the pain) and then something i never thought would happen.....happened!
    I was in bed and it happend at like 2 in the morning but way worse than the 2 previous times.I cried and crried cause i could not believe this was actually happeneing to me. I was doing sooo well and now i could not even move or breathe without the worst pain ever.My ribs felt so bruised and so abused.The worst thing was it was happening at the most random moments when i was barely even moving.I was that way all week until the best thing happened to me today.My brother walked into the kitchen where i was and i did not know he came in and he shouted something in a strange voice just goofing off and i was so startled i jerked and something else popped and it seemed like in that instant i was fixed.I still have problems but they are the ones i had before when my recovery was going good. I still don't know what happened but i hope that was the last of it and i can get back to my recovery.I don;t think i could have handled much more.
    Stephanie
    Stephanie
    T11 to L3
    1 rib removed
    June 5, 2006

Comment

set back???

I had similar pains in recovery-it's not a "set back" it's healing of nerves. The doc at the spine rehab said that's what it was. Even though it's "bad" it's really "good" because of healing.What I loved about my pain doc was he gave me neurontin which helped nerve pain like no narcotic.

In recovery from this type of operation (adults--teens seem to be spared)expect--at various times--and which can come and go:

Jabs, burning pain, aches, pulls, "shocks", spasms as well as hot and cold sweats, numbness on torso and in feet, sciatica, pops and hot torso.

I had all those things while healing up--and am now pain free.

I always stress--use a pain doc -- probably helps to avoid trips to the ER for pain.

I also tried to keep myself from going nuts about all this by keeping positive. --and looking in the mirror at my new body.
      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 07-04-2006, 07:47 AM. Reason: grammar
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hey Karen-- I am jotting neurontin down in my notes about PAIN...did Boachie recommend it too??? Ly

Comment

I did not use Dr. Boachie for pain management at all; he defers that to pain management doctors.

We really cannot make these decisions because we do not know all the pros and cons. Also, the prescribing doctor is legally responsible. We can ask though.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

1 year & 9 months later

Well I have not been here in a while but I came back for some answers. I thought I had it bad now but re-reading my early recovery, I guess i forgot how bad it was. I am almost 2 years post op and I have way more pain than I thought I would. Some days I can't even tell I had a surgery and then the other 3 days a week ohhhhh does it hurt. My pain is still very intense and sometimes i want to throw up from it. I went back to physical therapy for two more 3 month sesions, saw my dr. a lot and had x-rays and a CT and they say I'm fine. I know I am not. I do not know what is wrong but i think I am going to find another opinion. I use about 1 vicodin 750mg a day about 3 days a week. sometimes 4 days, most days i only need a half of the pill. I have yet to go one week straight without pain. Sorry to report after all of this time I think I feel worse now than before surgery. I will start looking into other options / dr.s and i will defenitly post more updates!

Stephanie
            T11 to L3 - June 5, 2006
            1 rib removed
            Stephanie
            T11 to L3
            1 rib removed
            June 5, 2006

Comment

Sorry...

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry to hear that you are still in such a high degree of pain. I hope that seeking a second opinion will provide you with some answers and ultimately relief from your pain. Good luck.

Linda W.
              Linda
              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
              X