Getting in/out of car after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzy,

'cept there's no hubby and I'd have to spring for the car myself.

Chris

Comment

It took about a week after I left the hospital, but I was able to get into our Explorer just fine. Last weekend I finally got into our Focus. Just take it slow and easy and hold on to anything you can to give yourself extra stability. I've been going in butt first. Once I'm seated, I slowly pivot my back and legs into a proper sitting position, using my arms to do most of the work. So far, so good. Best of luck.
      Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
      Thoracolumbar Curve
      Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
      Thoracic Curve
      Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Comment

I actually have sold two cars due to these surgeries-BUT they were sporstcars.

The first I sold was years after my first surgery. It was my car, a Honda Civic Del Sol and it's literally one of the smallest lowest cars there has been made. The seats were really round too-and now I have to sit straight so that was a real bummer for me and we had to sell it. Before surgery maybe b/c of my hump it was comfortable, after surgery I tried to ride and get into it and it was nearly impossible.

Second car we just sold last month. Again a sporstcar(Honda Accord, two door, not as low as the other one but roof still too low) AND I could get into it and be really comfy before THIS last surgery. I know that after this first year I could bend again to get into, but was fed up of waiting and using mom's car so we sold for a four door Sedan, Honda Civic, it's SO comfortable and I put a cushion for lumbar support.

So the problem is sportscars, but even then the not too low ones are ok after the healing. If you're a sportscar lover like me, it's a bummer for sure.
        Last edited by sweetness514; 06-15-2006, 02:06 PM.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

When I had my surgery I could not drive for 3 months afterwards. My husband drove me everywhere I needed to go. My Dr. said I could ride but absolutely no driving.
          When I came home from the hospital I rode in the back seat. I tried the front seat but the jarring of the bumpy Illinois highways was to much for me.
          I had to travel about 1 hour and a half home. About 15 minutes from the hospital he had to pull over and let me get in the back.
          I mostly layed down all the way home. We had a Oldsmobile Royal at that time.
          I sure was glad when he did let me drive, which was for short trips to start with. For the first 6 months after surgery I had to wear a brace. So everytime I was in a vehicle I was protected by it.
          Wanted to share my experience.
          Mattie

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
            Hi Suzy...

I'm wondering if you were told not to break the 90 degree barrier (the degree of plane difference between your torso and your legs) during the early postop period. It seems to me that sitting in the seat of a sports car would definitely break that barrier.

Regards,
            Linda
            I was thinking about that, and I did a test. In my car-Honda Civic 4 door Sedan- I noticed that my legs are not straight and they bend a bit, and I'm actually SITTING in it . Checked out my mom's car-Mercedes 4 door Sedan- and I saw that my knees were higher than my butt, and the car is not even really low. I think that a lot of cars are made that way, wich is surprising. I can't imagine people who have long legs and who are tall, and how much of a pain it is to get in smaller cars. Just a thought and some rambling on my part.
            Last edited by sweetness514; 06-15-2006, 02:13 PM.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have a Mercury Grand Marquis which is a good-sized, smooth-riding vehicle, but it is an absolute horror to get into and out!!! The seats are uncomfortable as well, i could never find an angle that was suitable on the ride home from the hospital... i finally had my hubby stop at daughter's house because i could go no farther.. she only lives about 20 minutes from the hospital, while we live 2 hrs. away. Now I drive a Ford F150 pick-up and absolutely love it! I'm tall and long-legged tho, i guess that's why i have so much trouble with the car seats.
              Daughter has just gotten a new Lamborghini .... I stand along side it and smile and admire it... but there is no way i'd EVER be able to get down and into it... and if i ever DID manage to get into it, they'd just have to bury me in the car, because i'd be stuck there for life...lol

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
                I was thinking about that, and I did a test. In my car-Honda Civic 4 door Sedan- I noticed that my legs are not straight and they bend a bit, and I'm actually SITTING in it . Checked out my mom's car-Mercedes 4 door Sedan- and I saw that my knees were higher than my butt, and the car is not even really low. I think that a lot of cars are made that way, wich is surprising. I can't imagine people who have long legs and who are tall, and how much of a pain it is to get in smaller cars. Just a thought and some rambling on my part.
                I agree. I don't think I've ever ridden in a car seat where my knees weren't higher than my butt. In my current car, which has fully adjustable seats, I have raised the back of the seat to be almost level with the front. With my XK8, I had to fold up to get in, which I think might be very detrimental in the early post-op stage.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnn5
                  Daughter has just gotten a new Lamborghini .... I stand along side it and smile and admire it... but there is no way i'd EVER be able to get down and into it... and if i ever DID manage to get into it, they'd just have to bury me in the car, because i'd be stuck there for life...lol
                  Nice, and congrats to her on the new car, is it the one where the doors open up in the air(don't know how to describe it)? I love cars. If you have long legs as well I don't know if that would be comfy to get into ...My dad used to own a Lamborghini and it was so low but it wasn't as bad as my small Honda. Then he had a Ferrari and he has not many back problems and sold it for many reasons but he wasn't comfy in it as well. I think sometimes aging gets us as well and we just want to be more comfortable

Comment

Yes, sweetness.. the doors open upwards.... You'd think it would be easier to get in and out...but the seats are still less than a foot off the ground... so i'd be permanently bent if i ever got into it...lol...

Comment

getting in a car

just back from surgery ( 2 weeks ago ) and i have NO PROBLEM getting in or out of the car. I am fused T11 to L3 ( 5 screws ) and was able to do the car with no problem the day i left the hospital. ( was there for one week ). Whlie i was there i had a couple therapy sessions to get familiar with the right way to get in or out of the car. They had a small fake car thing to practice with. I took a picture of it just have to learn how to get it online. I went to the Dr. today for my 2-3week post op. visit and the ride was not to bad. I put a pillow behind my back and another like hugging it on my chest and stomach and then put the seat belt. Bumps still bother but i just held the handle by the window for some extra support. And believe it or not my Dr. said i was recovering very well could not tell i just had the op. and actually said i could drive now if i needed to. I had anterior 4 hr. surgery 6-5-06. I am still in A LOT of pain. Mainly rib, hip and thigh pain. But about the car, its no problem for me. I have a Toyota Avalon and its fine.
                      Stephanie T11 to L3 ( 6-5-06 )
                      45 to about 10 degrees
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

Working...
                      X