No announcement yet.

Considering surgery...Question on bathroom stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it all depends on how low the fusion goes & if you have brace on?? Are most people expected to leave your brace on while using the bthroom? I would hope you could take it off????

Comment

For the first 3-4 months, I had to have my brace on every time I got out of bed with the exception of taking a shower.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was only allowed to take my brace off to take a shower, no exceptions
        SandyC

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
          I guess it all depends on how low the fusion goes & if you have brace on?? Are most people expected to leave your brace on while using the bthroom? I would hope you could take it off????
          Lynne,
          I was ordered to wear mine all the time except while sleeping and showering but I took it off to use the bathroom.
          My brace comes below my hips and so getting pants undone and undies down, the brace made it impossible. So I would take it off, use the bathroom and put it back on.
          I think when they say wear it all the time, they don't intend for you to struggle using the bathroom. They just want you to wear it to stabilize you while walking and sitting, standing etc.
          But if you have any questions about taking it off to use the restroom, please, ask your doctor. He will be the only one who can tell you how long to wear it and what you can do with it/without it, how many hours a day etc.
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Toilet tissue aid

I tried it for this last surgery, b/c I could reach my butt but not the front too well and oh it's heavy and I didn't like it at all...Maybe some of you will have better luck with it but the salad thingie sounds like a good idea too i got a trick after a while; I just squat really low with my knees and then I can reach down there. For my first surgery I did have a problem wiping my butt and not the front, but I still managed and it's not as hard to wipe when you are constipated and you know what I mean, it's "cleaner" I'm fused to L2 though, can't imagine what some of you who have been fused much lower and had to wear braces went through.

Kat, I have to say that every time you talk about your boys I'm amazed, and if you think about it, tell them that. What great boys they are and all this sure builds character and makes them mature and aware about life
            Last edited by sweetness514; 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Yikes Once Again

I must admit I am glad this topic was brought up. I have been practicing and hoping my arms are long enough to do the job. I know I would never ask my wife to take care of that. KatBlack- those are two great ideas- esp the shower one. I am having trouble wrapping my mind around salad tongs. I will have to experiment before Tuesday. I am getting a long fusion down to S1 so I think it will be needed.
              Once again- what a great board even with its potty talk
              Eric
              Eric
              Army LTC
              13 June 06
              L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
              T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

Sweetness, they are great boys, I couldn't have asked for better sons if I had gotten to hand pick them.

Eric, I understand about the salad tongs but trust me, it's the same basic idea as the bathroom aid for a whole lot less money.
                It can be sort of a private joke you'll have for the rest of your life but it really did work. I'm glad sis bought it for me. I had days where I would literally cry over bathroom usage issues.
                Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                No pain anymore!!
                Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

self care post-op

I am fused T-4 to sacrum and never needed such aids even when newly post-op. Maybe my long arms are an advantage and I'm not "fluffy".
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Another hint.....I had major abdominal surgery a few years ago and it was excruciating for me to get up and down from the toilet. For several weeks I kept a large plastic cup to "pee" in while standing up. Then I just poured it in the toilet and rinsed it out for the next time. This would not be an issue for guys, but for women the pain of getting up and down from the toilet numerous times each day is horrible early on. One of the nurses in the doctor's office suggested it and it was a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
                      I am fused T-4 to sacrum and never needed such aids even when newly post-op. Maybe my long arms are an advantage and I'm not "fluffy".
                      Fluffy? Is that a kind word for fat?
                      I lost a ton of weight after the surgery,35lbs., so fluff wasn't a factor. It was bending and reaching while being in horrific pain that made it an issue.
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

Comment

Katblack.

Do you recommend any specific brand of saran wrap? After my last surgery I bought saran wrap and it didnt work! It did kinda keep the water out from my back but not completly. I have long hair so I would have to turn sideways to rinse it or it would drench my back.
                        As for the salad tongs great idea! I didnt ever think of this issue but it is good to be prepared before it could happen! I have had 4 back surgeries and so far not any problems, but doesnt mean I cant have any for my next one. I will be fused to my sacrum and am currently fused to L3. I guess I do have one good thing going for me is I have really long arms and I am extremly thin. I bet one of my arms could wrap around my whole body. Kinda weird I know. I will buy the salad tongs and be prepared and practice. You never know!

Thanks for the advice! I love this forum and can never get enough!

Sarah
                        Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                        2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                        March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                        August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                        August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Thank You Thank You Thank You

I was laughing my butt off when I was reading this post!!!! I've got two weeks to go, and have been pondering that exact question. My family and I have been wondering if I would be able to wipe my heiny after surgery! KatBlack- Thank you very much!!!
                          Angela
                          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Originally posted by slprncess
                            Katblack.

Do you recommend any specific brand of saran wrap? After my last surgery I bought saran wrap and it didnt work! It did kinda keep the water out from my back but not completly. I have long hair so I would have to turn sideways to rinse it or it would drench my back.
                            As for the salad tongs great idea! I didnt ever think of this issue but it is good to be prepared before it could happen! I have had 4 back surgeries and so far not any problems, but doesnt mean I cant have any for my next one. I will be fused to my sacrum and am currently fused to L3. I guess I do have one good thing going for me is I have really long arms and I am extremly thin. I bet one of my arms could wrap around my whole body. Kinda weird I know. I will buy the salad tongs and be prepared and practice. You never know!

Thanks for the advice! I love this forum and can never get enough!

Sarah
                            Yeah, it's not saran wrap. It's called Glad Press N' Seal. That stuff they advertise that sticks to itself? That's the stuff. It sticks to skin really good.
                            http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal.php
                            No pain anymore!!
                            Google is your friend

Comment

Ok, I will be sure to get that kind. I will let my dr know too so he can recommend it to his other patients instead of saran wrap.

Thanks
                              Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                              2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                              March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                              August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                              August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

I wasn't overweight either and had trouble wiping, but my arms aren't that long.

I used a waterproof taping over my dressing that a nurse gave me when I had reached the ten day mark this last time b/c I wanted to wash my hair without wetting my incision, after I tried and did get it wet with the normal tape, so this saran wrap Press 'n Seal idea is a great one. I had tried with the normal Saran an it didn't work either. I will use it now when I get my roots done, don't like the idea of my scar getting hair dye on it.
                                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                                X