doubts from close ones.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynne,

I'm so glad you got away and got some much needed rest and fun. It does wonders for the spirit to do that.
    I still take mini breaks from this whole thing and just chill out with friends.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I'm glad you got some rest Lynn, physicaly and emotionally.

People around us can't make the decision for us, and sometimes they are scared for us and also let's be honest, for them as well and what they will go through and if they will be able to help you right. My family was the opposite when I was supposed to get surgery at 18(I wasn't in much pain), they FLIPPED when I left the hospital, b/c they believed the doc who wrongly said that I wouldn't be able to get much correction at a later age(in my twenties), wich was bull. But the bottom line was I listened to MYSELF, and did it when I was ready.

Take it a day at a time, and take it easy(try to).
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

i thought it was just my family!!!

i haven't been on in a while and i just came across this thread......and funny enough......it helped me too! I thought my family was the only one like that. My surgery is June 5th and all of my dr. visits i went to ALONE! Even though i had been told to have this operation some 10 years ago they still do not believe i need it. I have been suffering ever since. I had trouble getting someone to go with me to my blood donation tomorrow. Nobody in my family even knows my surgeon..my mom and husband did not care to meet him. I too did a lot of research and everytime i found out something i wanted to share...with who????? they weren't listening! It has been real hard. I have about 3 weeks to go and nobody around me really knows whats going on. I guess i just accepted it and i don't bother taliking about it anymore. Oh well!
        I just hope after the operation they come around, i'm sure i'll be needing them. Otherwise, you'll be hearing from me soon...lol...just kidding. But for real, thank God for this group!
        Stephanie, 26 yrs. old...MI
        Stephanie
        T11 to L3
        1 rib removed
        June 5, 2006

Comment

This group is such great support!

I was sitting at my computer this morning reading posts when I came across this thread. I can't tell you how glad I was to find it and read that everyone is going thru the same thing. My family is creating doubt for me that "how can I put my only child thru this?!", as if I had any other choice! We've had our surgery date changed 3 times now due to different circumstances (he was having rapid heartbeat due to anxiety and had to wear a monitor, and then we got denied because of the rapid heartbeat twice at The Red Cross for blood donation and the last date change was because of that), and I'm hoping the third time is the charm as my 13-yr old just wants to get it over with. He has been having pain now for the past few months, having only been diagnosed with 77/55 degree double curves in mid-January. This is a wonderful site and I thank everyone for sharing their stories!

Laurie
          mom to Josh age 13 having surgery July 10, 2006
          Laurie
          mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Laurie,
            I will keep you & Josh in my thoughts. He's too young to have back pain,poor guy! Wishing you & your family all the strength, courage & most importantly, your faith that will get you through. In our hearts, we know what's right ! He's at the age where he'll bounce right back after this & play sports like nothing ever happened.........good luck!
            Lynne

post/ant surg..aug 1st......... http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

60/60 curv...

Comment

Stephanie, I sent you a private message.

Laurie - Hopefully third time is the charm for your son. Try to tune everyone else out. As a parent, you know what's best for your children. I wish you and Josh all the best.

Brandi
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Stephanie, I'm sorry that you feel so alone in this. It's a scary time for you and you need some support. We are here for ya, just a few clicks away at any time. Hope your family soon wakes up to the reality of your situation. In the meantime, i'll be sending you good thoughts and best wishes and even some prayers for what they are worth

Laurie, bless your heart and your son's too... What an emotional roller coaster this has to be for a young teen who needs the surgery, but keeps being postponed. He will also be in my thoughts and prayers and YOU as well... Moms have the worst of it i think.

This is a great place isn't it? Sure has helped me so many times i can't count!

JoAnn

Comment

Hi Laurie, I did have rapid heartbeat as well once when I had to donate blood for my first surgery, and was sent home. In my case, due to my insomnia and not having slept at all the night before made my heartbeat even more fast than it usually did-it was 120 and they told me that it needed to be under that. I went back after getting a restful night's sleep(after taking my sleeping aid), and they took my blood. Hopefully it happens for him, if not I'm not certain but maybe they can use your blood(or your families)? Sometimes it is suggested here for teens.

Stephanie, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of support you're getting. At the pre op, they usually ask if there is someone back home that will take care of you, since it's very rough for a while, and you will need help, until you learn how to do things in a new way and recuperate. Maybe you can convince one of your family member to go with you to your pre op and the nurse will explain to them the support and care you will need. Just a thought. Take care of yourself, and remember you can come on this forum for any type of support and help You are very strong.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Wonderful support

Lynne, Brandi, Joann, and sweetness514:

Hi! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have people who understand what I'm going thru and have been there themselves. When I do get online, it's so nice to be able to come here and get the support everyone provides. This site is a godsend! As much as I try to forget this is going on, it's a part of our everyday life and having people to share with is immeasureable. So thank you everyone!!

I'm hoping our doctor lets one of us donate at least one unit so Josh isn't so weak from having to donate all 3 himself.

I'm also worried, besides everything else of course!, if he will be able to start school again on time in the fall. What was everyone's recovery time like? I think they said 6-8 weeks, and his will be about 6-7 weeks as school starts here about September 1st.

Laurie
                    mom to Josh age 13 having first time surgery July 10, 2006 for 2 severe curves 77/55
                    Laurie
                    mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

I thought kids his age bounce back pretty fast........compared to us old folks......I think just from reading about kids his age here on the forum, he'll recover fast. I'm sure someone w/ a child who has been thru this will post........Ly http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 05-13-2006, 05:10 PM.

Comment

thanks all

Thank you all for your kind words. It is always nice to come here. I am just very glad i found it. It has been so helpful in so many ways. Not just in finding out so much helpful info on what to extpect before and after but as we find here such welcoming support. So thanks to everyone!
                        Stephanie
                        Stephanie
                        T11 to L3
                        1 rib removed
                        June 5, 2006

Comment

Working...
                        X