Patients fused to S 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa
    Kat, One of the exercises I was given to help strengthen my core muscles was to sit on a large ball, get balanced, then march while you are sitting. As your left leg comes up so does your right arm and when your right leg comes up so does your left arm. Take it very slow at first. It is harded than it sounds. I used a small or medium yoga/pilates ball. You can get some of them according to your height. I was not given this exercise to do until I was about a year post-op. If you can get the treadmill, that is what I used all the time. Just remember to hold your stomach muscles in at all times while you are walking.
    Well at my last appt., doc said no core exercises. Just walking for now and then in a few months, I can get a stationary bike. He said when I walk, to just hold my tummy muscles tight and it should help.
    Oh well.
    But thanks so much for the info. Maybe eventually he will let me do more.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I am 3 months post op and still no core exercises for me either - I have been told 6 months post op as a minimum.

Re fusing to the sacrum, my surgeon decided to take the other option and only fuse to L5 rather than the sacrum - he works on the principle that if needed my fusion could be extended later (in fact, it is likely to be extended upwards later in the year - long story!). Anyway, the point is that different surgeons take different approaches. My surgeon decided that my flexibility (hah!) would be better, although of course, my L5/S1 pain will not go away like this.I have a big cage in between L4 and L5 and this is very restricting but I'm just having to learn how to bend my hips and knees more to get at things. My surgery was never intended to treat my pain, only to stop progression as I had a really big sideways shift and was having some serious stuff with internal organs. That had to be sorted - the pain (in his opinion) didn't!

Because of spinal bifida, I was never able to twist, so always did the whole body shift thing to look at people behind me.
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Core exercises

I can't do them either, and it's due to the fact that I had surgery "only" for a non union-so it's normal. Walking is recommended for the first 6 months and then swimming and stationary biking. Weight lifting(light) and core exercises for many is not recommended for at least a year post op, but from what I read Theresa said she didn't do the execises until a year post op either.

Pips, my doc also told me that my surgery was done to reduce the curve, not a guarantee for pain, as in his words "pain is pain" and it's a plus when the pain is relieved afterwards, LOL. I like that attitude, that way when it goes well after and the pain is much less(or gone), you feel like the surgery was even more a success.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X