Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recovery--how long

dmb:

Recovery depends on so many factors: fitness going into surgery, age, extent of surgery, other medical conditions like high blood pressure/diabetes/lung disease, post-op complications and extent of correction.

When large curves are reduced all the internal organs are repositioned: the spinal cord, spinal nerves, blood vessels, intestines, stomach and more. It takes the body--longer in older patients--to heal from this.
    That is why I see red when people wait until they are in so much pain and progressing curves are so large. On the other had pain is a motivator for change and that might be the only thing propelling someone to definitive treatment.

It took me a good year and half to feel like myself after my revision. I went into surgery in the best condition I could. I have no other medical problems except for some residual breathing issues(improved from pre-op) which do not keep me from all normal activities and a full life.

I think "pushing-it" too soon impairs healing and causes discouragement. Walking every day 1-2 miles after 7 hours of work might be too much at this time. Your muscles must recover; try it every other day until you feel less fatigue. Lite PT too?

Sounds like too much. Only the young teens having this surgery can really bounce back that quickly.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It doesn't lie.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks Karen,

That is exactly what i needed to hear. i had nothing to compare my recovery to and some days i felt like i was out in left field going. My surgeon said it would take one good year and two weeks will be one year and i only feel about 70-75%. I am a women in my 30's and i just feel that i should be out there doing whatever and yes, it does get extremely frustrating!! I went into surgery in good shape. i worked out at the gym 2-3 times a week doing weight training and walked as well. I drank alot of water and ate all the right foods. However, 9 days after surgery i was back in the hospital with blood clots. They flew me to Washington Hospital Center in Washington DC to treat them. My lungs were filled with clots, i only had one airway open. I spent 3 days in critical care and the other 6 days on the cardiac floor. So yes i did have some setbacks. Thanks for your encouragement!!

D.

Originally posted by Karen Ocker
      dmb:

Recovery depends on so many factors: fitness going into surgery, age, extent of surgery, other medical conditions like high blood pressure/diabetes/lung disease, post-op complications and extent of correction.

When large curves are reduced all the internal organs are repositioned: the spinal cord, spinal nerves, blood vessels, intestines, stomach and more. It takes the body--longer in older patients--to heal from this.
      That is why I see red when people wait until they are in so much pain and progressing curves are so large. On the other had pain is a motivator for change and that might be the only thing propelling someone to definitive treatment.

It took me a good year and half to feel like myself after my revision. I went into surgery in the best condition I could. I have no other medical problems except for some residual breathing issues(improved from pre-op) which do not keep me from all normal activities and a full life.

I think "pushing-it" too soon impairs healing and causes discouragement. Walking every day 1-2 miles after 7 hours of work might be too much at this time. Your muscles must recover; try it every other day until you feel less fatigue.

Comment

Hi dmb,

Don't feel like you're alone!!! My 1 year post-op will be the end of May also.
        I'm not 100% yet either. I can say in the last 2 months I have felt so much better. 2 weeks ago I hit my first 2 golf balls. I didn't swing hard, just wanted to see if I could do it. Last week I got on the big tractor to see if I could mow the grass. I got on it, thinking I would last about a half an hour, but I ended up mowing for 3 hours. I know that sounds like nothing to most people, but to me it was huge. It took me several days to recover from it, but I did it.

Who can say why we all heal differently, I was in great physical condition before my surgery. But it has taken me this long to start to feel able to at least try to do things that I enjoyed doing before. It is way to easy to get down when you don't heal as fast as others seem to, and I do have this one area that causes me a great deal of pain at times. Almost like a screw is stabbing me in the back. But it's not a constant thing, and I'm not a Dr., so I don't understand why I keep getting it. The one thing I'm absolutely sure of, is that my scoli pain is gone!!!

Shari

Comment

Julieanne -

I cannot recommend a surgeon, but I can tell you that you are among people who care. I hope you find a surgeon you can trust. Be sure to get a second and possibly third opinion before you make a definite decision.

Best of luck,
          Brandi
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Dmb

I see you are from Maryland. I am too. Who did your surgery?
            Brandi
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

Dr John Carbone did my surgery. He used to practice at JHU and at UN of MD. He now practices at Harbor Hospital and is the director of Harborview Reconstrucive Spine Services. He is very good and i like him alot. I'm from Western MD, where are you from?

D

Originally posted by bbest
              I see you are from Maryland. I am too. Who did your surgery?

Comment

I live in Germantown in Montgomery County. My husband and I like to go to Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County a couple times a year just to get away. Dr. William Lauerman is my surgeon. He is Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Georgetown University Hospital. Aside from all the bells and whistles he is an awesome doctor. Very compassionate, patient. I completely trust him. Sounds like your surgeon has some of the same qualities.
                Brandi
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

i live about two hours from Deep Creek Lake. it is nice up that way. I too have complete confidence in my surgeon. How far are you fused? i am fused from T3-L4. How are you feeling? May 16th will be one year for me and i feel about 80%.

Originally posted by bbest
                  I live in Germantown in Montgomery County. My husband and I like to go to Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County a couple times a year just to get away. Dr. William Lauerman is my surgeon. He is Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Georgetown University Hospital. Aside from all the bells and whistles he is an awesome doctor. Very compassionate, patient. I completely trust him. Sounds like your surgeon has some of the same qualities.

Comment

Working...
                  X