No announcement yet.

How was your early recover period...honestly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously didn't wipe my butt quite that well for some time after that first surgery For me, it was the hip pain that hurt so bad and made it hard to reach. This last surgery I had in December was the opposite. I can wipe in the back just fine but have a hard time with the front, as I don't have the hip pain but feel more stiff in the front, perhaps b/c of the added fusion.

I wanted to add about recoveries that forums like these are of great help for those of you who are going to get surgery. With all our sharing, at least you know that it's not a walk in the park, and that it can take longer than expected(or not), as well as get support before and after the op, and get tips on what to do for pain and how to do things differently and that there are tools to help. If I would have known that grabbers existed and certain stuff that I read about now, it would have made me more independant and lifted my morals. Like I said, I had no computer when I had my surgery(bought it a year later in '98), and the fact that my doctor didn't tell me about PT, good chairs, and what to do after to help my pain, for sure made my recovery longer than what it would have been, even if some types of pain like the pulling and healing of scar tissue and flexibility takes time. There is a fine line where you have to do things an rest, and it's sometimes very hard to know especially for a person like me who was not told what to do except walking, going to the pool and rest. Only when I was in contact with another woman who had the surgery a few years earlier and had a lot of the same symptoms did I get emotional support and understanding of what I was going through and also given tips by her on what to do to feel better(like the pool, bath, etc). I also didn't get any pain meds after a few weeks to a month post op, since I was young, they didn't want me to get addicted to narcotics and it's harder to get meds here in Canada(although now easier), the pain made it hard to do anything, and that didn't help. I do have patience, and if they would have told me before that it would take time and be so painful, at least it wouldn't have been as hard to accept and realize that it was normal to experience, and not make me feel like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

I read that most of the healing is done while sleeping, well no wonder my insomniac butt didn't heal quickly About choosing a person that is good caregiver, maybe some of you can do a test before or have already noticed how people in your lives act in a time of crisis or when you're sick/in pain. I know generally it is expected that women do better in that area, but for me my husband is much more patient and wants to help everybody so much more than any woman in my life. My mom is great for making food and she loves doing it anyway, and everybody else like my sister didn't even ask if I needed any help, not that I would ask her she's just not that type and has no patience whatsoever. And so you learn what you can ask to different people.

I have a cat and she has long hair, so we had her shaved so the cleaning wouldn't be as bad and I didn't need to brush it, if anybody as cats with long hair.
    Last edited by sweetness514; 04-23-2006, 04:55 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
      I'm sorry, but the more I read these posts, the angrier I become. Last night I listened to Jane Fonda discuss her recent hip replacement surgery on the Larry King Show and comment on how wonderful it is that we are living at a time when we can have worn-out body parts easily replaced and within no time resume our lives pain free. Let's face it, ladies and gentlemen...when it comes to treating scoliosis, we are living in the Dark Ages. This is barbaric treatment!!! If more people were afflicted with this awful spine disease, I'm sure there would be treatment modes available today that are far less invasive, painful and life-altering. No wonder when I asked a surgeon what he would do if he had my spine, he commented that he would wait until he could no longer function and then have an operation. I guess by then you're just so beaten up from pain that you become desperate and will try anything. I recall reading one woman's story of her surgery and how she was actually disappointed when she realized she was in the recovery room and had survived the surgery. How sad. I could even go along with the pain and long recovery, if I knew that at last I was treated and all is well. But that's not the case. You don't know if down the road you're going to have to deal with more pain, side-effects, more surgeries, etc., etc.

Lord, give us strength.

Chris
      Chris I wanted to say that I understand what you mean by your post even if I don't agree completely, it's ok to feel angry and let it out. Sometimes I feel that way, and then after going there and getting angry I see the up sides and positives and all the good like the fact that I still have my legs. But I do think that nobody deserves this type of pain, and even less additional surgeries(as I experienced) and other types of pains caused by surgery later down the road like some of us have(like me). I don't know the percentages and don't care, all I know is that too many still suffer post op and it's disappointing at times. But it's like with many other worse disabilities and diseases, look at cancer My friend who was 35 died of it last Summer, after she had beaten stage 4 and had a huge operation to remove a lot of her digestive system and it came back and got her a year later, when she had a young son Life is so unfair and I know it's hard to accept. If only there were no diseases how life would be good for so many who suffer... Btw, I saw the Jane Fonda interviews on Larry King and with Barbara Walters and the woman looks fab, wonder how old she is

Anyway, take care and continue sharing your thoughts and worries, it's what this forum is for
      Last edited by sweetness514; 04-23-2006, 04:38 PM.
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Recovery

You may read this twice. I am not sure how the Forum works!

My wife, mid 50's, will have surgery mid July, which will included fusion and rods from T5 through L2. What I am wondering about are such things as was the trip home from the hospital as bad as I've herd? Can you get up and down stairs when you get home? Has anyone rented a hospital bed for the first few months? Do you have any "secrets" that helped make the first weeks/months easier? Did anyone keep a journal of activity so everyone knew what had been done?

Any comments would be appriciated

Comment

Hi...

I think you'll find that most people feel that the ride home is easier than they expected. It was for me. And, I'm guessing that the hospital will not release your wife until she can climb stairs, since she has to do that at home. When I had my surgery, they had me climbing stairs on about the 5th day.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hello Sir,

The first few months will be a little rough. Get some straws with the bendy type, because there will be days when she doesnt feel like sitting up or getting out of bed. I didnt need a hospital bed but a friend of mine did but she was fused alot lower than i am. I am fused from T3-L4. Get some baby wipes for her. There will be times when she wants to wipe off her face and hands and she can easily grab those off the night stand. I also had a touch lamp on my night stand because i couldnt bend to turn the lamp on and off with a switch. Just be patient. Have her make some quick meals and put in the freezer so that all you have to do afterwards is just pop them in the microwave or oven. Take care of all apts beforehand, all dr's, dentist apts, fuel changes and vehicle maintenance, those types of things. Get some big t-shirts that she can wear. I had to wear a brace and i took some of my dad's undershirts and cut the arms and necks out, because it was hard for me to lift my arms and the bigger the arm holes and neck holes the easier it was for me to get dressed. I also read alot of books, so maybe get some books, crossword puzzles or something that she may enjoy doing to pass the time. yes, my mother kept a journal of what meds and how many i took. Talk to your surgeon about getting stool softeners as well. She will need them. If you have any questions, you may email me at monique5963@aol.com. Good luck!!

D

PS. I came home in a private ambulance but other patients were able to ride in a car. That wasnt determined how i was coming home until i was getting ready to be released.

Originally posted by Mariana

My wife, mid 50's, will have surgery mid July, which will included fusion and rods from T5 through L2. What I am wondering about are such things as was the trip home from the hospital as bad as I've herd? Can you get up and down stairs when you get home? Has anyone rented a hospital bed for the first few months? Do you have any "secrets" that helped make the first weeks/months easier? Did anyone keep a journal of activity so everyone knew what had been done?

Last edited by ; 05-04-2006, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I wasn't able to make the whole ride home. I live 2 hours from the hospital, and supposedly they gave me pain meds before we started, but i couldn't tell it if they did... My daughter lives 20 minutes from the hospital and we had to stop at her house because i was in such agony, i couldn't go any further... and yes, i had pillows and such.. but i felt EVERY bump, ridge, wobble in the road... and every time hubby put on the brakes i'd cry out.. My surgery was the most extensive that my surgeon had ever done and the nursing staff was prone to brush off my complaints until they had seen for themselves the extent of the incisions and hardware, etc. I really think i should have had an ambulance ride home I couldn't go up stairs very well either, but i did learn to turn sideways and hold on to the railing and go up that way...*sigh*... don't mean to be a complainer, but people are different and so are their recoveries. Just be prepared for anything

Comment

i couldnt go up steps either until a few weeks later. Every patient is different just dont expect to be normal in the first three months. It will get better, i promise!!: ) Spinal fusion is a very extensive complicated serious surgery and not to be taken lightly. I like joann, felt every bump and every time the brakes were applied. Make sure you tell the driver to be VERY cautious. Good Luck!!

Originally posted by JoAnn5
                I wasn't able to make the whole ride home. I live 2 hours from the hospital, and supposedly they gave me pain meds before we started, but i couldn't tell it if they did... My daughter lives 20 minutes from the hospital and we had to stop at her house because i was in such agony, i couldn't go any further... and yes, i had pillows and such.. but i felt EVERY bump, ridge, wobble in the road... and every time hubby put on the brakes i'd cry out.. My surgery was the most extensive that my surgeon had ever done and the nursing staff was prone to brush off my complaints until they had seen for themselves the extent of the incisions and hardware, etc. I really think i should have had an ambulance ride home I couldn't go up stairs very well either, but i did learn to turn sideways and hold on to the railing and go up that way...*sigh*... don't mean to be a complainer, but people are different and so are their recoveries. Just be prepared for anything

Comment

Originally posted by Mariana

Hi, I'm fused from T5 to L2.

As far as the ride home, it's different for everybody, and it was very painful for me. I had a pill before and used pillows also. That's why after I had my third surgery in December, a nurse suggested that we rent a van/cab that can put wheelchairs in and that ride was MUCH better, mostly felt nautious, and the pain not so bad. If you can get info on that, from where you live, I highly recommend it.

As for other tips, you can do a search on this forum about tools, but I suggest getting a grabber at least, some pillows, a recliner, good office chair...Just to name a few things. They usually release patients after they are able to do stairs, but I will not kid you they can be hard to climb. For me it was the bone taken from the hip that hurt when I climbed them, so I did what I could those first months. Walking is great and the most recommended exercise. There is a fine line of how much to rest and get up and walk, that can be tricky at first, but after a while routine sets in and she will know what's best for her.

Comment

Here is a copy of one of my previous post...hope this helps.

Here is my list:

Satin sheets- helps you log roll better (you'll hate them b/4 surgery and love them after surgery. Use a cotton pillow case so you can keep your pillow from sliding off the bed.

Long terry cloth housecoat- Put this on after showering to absorb the water instead of trying to dry with a towel.

Two grabber sticks-one to pick up the one your drop. (Trust me...you will drop one)

Plastic bag for car seats- If you have cloth seats instead of leather seats this will help you slide in and out with ease.

Thigh high stockings- If you wear stockings these work well instead of panty hose that are tight around your incision.

Slip on shoes- I wasn't able to tie my shoes initially

Electric razor-best Valentine's gift I ever rec'd. If you are right handed it is almost impossible to shave the outside of your left leg when your bending/twisting is limited. This saves you from getting nicks.

Cuddl Duds- I wore this under my corsett

Treadmill- My surgery was in the winter making it impossible to walk outside. I chose one with side rails. Some have only the rails directly in front of you. I liked to alternate holding on from front to side.

Treadmill Chart- Chart the time you walked, the distance and the speed. This will serve to encourage you as you are able to do more and more each week.

Sensafoam Pillow-again...I hated it b/4 surgery and loved it afterwards.

Lift Chair- I would have traded my car for this. I didn't have any furniture I could sit in after surgery. You'll understand this after you have your surgery. Plenty of people don't invest in it and get by...but for me personally it was a God send...It is still my favorite chair 3 yrs after surgery.

Get all your appointments taken care of b/4 surgery- pap smears, dentist appts. and get your hair trimmed if needed.

Rearrange your drawers- Move frequently used items up. If you underwear is in the third drawer down...move it up to the first etc.

Elastic Waist pants-jogging suits etc.

Raise toliet seat-one with side handles is the best. Helps you to raise and lower yourself on the toliet.

Aerobic stepper with only the top portion with rubber grips on it beside my bed to help me to sit on the side of the bed easier before log rolling in.

Journal- keep a daily journal. On days when you don't think your recovery is as fast as it should be...you can look back and be encouraged at how far you have come.

May God bless your wife with a sucessful surgery and may He heal her body completely and quickly.

Kindest Regards,
                    Gail

Comment

Gail nailed this one the head!! Take her advice and just be patient with yourself. Good luck!!!!! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Originally posted by Gail
                      Here is a copy of one of my previous post...hope this helps.

Here is my list:

Satin sheets- helps you log roll better (you'll hate them b/4 surgery and love them after surgery. Use a cotton pillow case so you can keep your pillow from sliding off the bed.

Long terry cloth housecoat- Put this on after showering to absorb the water instead of trying to dry with a towel.

Two grabber sticks-one to pick up the one your drop. (Trust me...you will drop one)

Plastic bag for car seats- If you have cloth seats instead of leather seats this will help you slide in and out with ease.

Thigh high stockings- If you wear stockings these work well instead of panty hose that are tight around your incision.

Slip on shoes- I wasn't able to tie my shoes initially

Electric razor-best Valentine's gift I ever rec'd. If you are right handed it is almost impossible to shave the outside of your left leg when your bending/twisting is limited. This saves you from getting nicks.

Cuddl Duds- I wore this under my corsett

Treadmill- My surgery was in the winter making it impossible to walk outside. I chose one with side rails. Some have only the rails directly in front of you. I liked to alternate holding on from front to side.

Treadmill Chart- Chart the time you walked, the distance and the speed. This will serve to encourage you as you are able to do more and more each week.

Sensafoam Pillow-again...I hated it b/4 surgery and loved it afterwards.

Lift Chair- I would have traded my car for this. I didn't have any furniture I could sit in after surgery. You'll understand this after you have your surgery. Plenty of people don't invest in it and get by...but for me personally it was a God send...It is still my favorite chair 3 yrs after surgery.

Get all your appointments taken care of b/4 surgery- pap smears, dentist appts. and get your hair trimmed if needed.

Rearrange your drawers- Move frequently used items up. If you underwear is in the third drawer down...move it up to the first etc.

Elastic Waist pants-jogging suits etc.

Raise toliet seat-one with side handles is the best. Helps you to raise and lower yourself on the toliet.

Aerobic stepper with only the top portion with rubber grips on it beside my bed to help me to sit on the side of the bed easier before log rolling in.

Journal- keep a daily journal. On days when you don't think your recovery is as fast as it should be...you can look back and be encouraged at how far you have come.

May God bless your wife with a sucessful surgery and may He heal her body completely and quickly.

Kindest Regards,
                      Gail

Comment

Re:Recovery

Great Job Gail! Satin P.J.s could work with your regular sheets and cost less. As to the ride home I think it depends on your vehicle's ride. I have one that I still can't ride in comfortably. I bought a few warm up suits with elastic waists and kept going back to my draw string excersize pants. With the swelling the elastic was uncomfortable. Also, I was COLD all the time. My electric blanket and heating pad were my best friends. The terry robe worked for me and they sell light weight terry head wraps at beauty supply and discount stores. They aren't as heavy as a regular towel and someone can put it on for you. It's easier then a regular towel due to it's shape and a small elastic loop to tuck the end into. Good luck to you both. Suzy

Comment

Thanks Suzy. I wanted to add one comment, I always wear satin pj's but I still had a problem logrolling comfortably and readjusting in bed with my cotton sheets...but with the satin sheets and pj's it was a breeze.

Kindest Regards,
                          Gail

Comment

Treadmill and walking

The treadmill is a great idea, for days when it rains and if any get surgery in the Winter. Sometimes I wished I had bought one, as I had all three surgeries in the Winter and Fall, couldn't stand the heat in the Summer, I'm Canadian, hehe. I still walked everyday even in the most freezing cold temps(-35 at times ), it took 15 minutes to get dressed with all kinds of layers and I did have my hubby who was my walking buddy most of the time, so he was there in case I needed a hand to hold on to. But we walked all this last Winter in the streets, b/c the sidewalks were too slippery. I needed air and wanted to get out, but I don't recommend it to everybody in case of falling, you have to be used to the Winter and very careful. Satin pj's are a great idea too, never thought of those before I read it here.

Comment

I still want a treadmill really bad because of how hot it gets here. I'll find one eventually...lol
                              36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                              Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                              Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                              Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                              Curve post op = 20 degrees
                              No pain anymore!!
                              Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Thanks

Mariana and I (Chuck, her husband) want to thank LindaRacine; dmb; JoAnn5; Sweetness514; Gail; and Suzy for all your information.

It helps alot to be thinking and planning RECOVERY, rather than surgery!

We have gone over your responses carefully and feel we have a good basis to work from.

We will keep in touch and maybe be able to help someone else later in the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X