I had my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

child birth

Some of you had asked about the epidural situation and my experience with giving birth. I had met with an anesteiologist (sp?) during my pregnancy, who had not recommended an epidural due to my fusion in the lumbar spine. He said most likely I would get scattered relieve, if any and a greater chance of getting a spinal headache. After hearing that, I just decided it was out of the question. Because of my fusion, there's scar tissue within the epidural space, etc and it most likely would have prevented the medicine to distribute evenly thoughout the spine. Many others are fused higher up and their epidural space is not effected, but b/c my fusion is t-11 to L-5, it made it difficult to assess whether or not the epidural would even work.
    Heather
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Congratulations on the new little one!
      I had my second baby a few months before your arrival and had to have a c-section under general anesthesia. The Anesthesiologist (sp) wanted to try the spinal block first, even though I had many reservations about it! I knew exactly what you just stated- lots of scar tissue and the results wouldn't be great if anything at all! So she tried anyway because I was willing to try and avoid another surgery going totally under. After feeling strange sensations in my knees (!) they decided to scrap that idea.
      Enjoy that little one! They grow so fast!!!

Comment

Working...
      X