Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPO claim on blood.

Hi Flowerpower,
    I just went in today to get the copy out of my chart at the hospital to prove they used the blood I donated. I am sending in the claim form tommorow so I will let you know how it goes. Health Net PPO is what I have and the claims dept. ASSURED me I would be re-imbursed only if the blood was used. If they try to not re-imburse me they are in for a fight. I got an itemized bill from my hospital and oh my gawd the prices are unbelievieble! I bet I saved them so much donating my own blood! Send me a private message to remind you how it goes. And, in the mean time, call and ask your PPO if they cover blood donated to the hospital (used for you.) and if they do then why not your own? I may just try to find out the price of a pint from the hospital to see the difference in price and to use as ammunition if needed. Good luck.

Comment

I have a question for those of you who were charged by your insurance carriers for donating your own blood. Did you go to a private lab? I am donating mine through the Red Cross. I asked the lady I spoke with yesterday if there was a cost associated with the donation and she said "not with us". Were you afforded the opportunity to donate through your local Red Cross?
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I also donated through our local blood services so there was no cost. You could check to see if any of you have that option instead of going to a private lab if you have insurance worries about it.

If you live in Florida and have to self donate, Florida Blood Services is the name of the no cost centers. They are all over the state.
        36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
        Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
        Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
        Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
        Curve post op = 20 degrees
        No pain anymore!!
        Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

I went to a private lab that stores and transportes blood to the hospital. They are also a huge donation location. I didn't know the redcross did this as it was never offered or suggested to me. I just submitted my reimbursement form to my insurance for the $300 I spent out of pocket. Just for my own information I called the hospital to find out how much they would have charged for donated blood (not mine) and was shocked to find out it would have been $266. So, I may only get that much back. I did contemplate hospital supplied blood but my Dr. said you heal faster with your own. That was the deciding factor for me,as well as insurance telling me I would be covered if it was used. I wasn't worried a bit about the quality of donated blood.

Comment

Working...
          X