No announcement yet.

Could use some good advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've decided to go through with it as scheduled...

I thought about it over the weekend and have reached my decision. It's never going to be a great time to have surgery. I wish I didn't have to have it at all, but I do and it might as well be now. I keep fast forwarding to next year at this time. I imagine how much better my life can be. I need to focus on taking good care of myself and whatever happens...happens. Someone pointed out (on another board) the importance of keeping things in their proper perspective. Scoliosis is not cancer, I am not sick. I can have this surgery and recover and get on with it. And that's what I'm going to do.

Brandi
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Brandi,

I think you made the right decision. And you picked a great surgery date as May 22 is my sons birthday. Its also the beginnig of spring, so think of this surgery as the springtime of your life...where you will have a new start. We wish you all the best...please let us know how your surgery goes.

About your surgery, are you being fused to the sacrum? And who is doing your surgery?

Paul

Comment

Good luck, Brandi. Isn't it amazing how tough a decision this is? It would be so much easier if we didn't have a choice. Even though I have tentatively made the decision to have the surgery next spring, I'm not willing to let go of the word "tentatively." I wrestle with the decision daily...sometimes hourly.
        Sounds like you've arrived at a good measure of peace with your decision.

All best,
        Chris
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I will be fused to my sacrum (joy!). My surgery will be performed by Dr. William Lauerman at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey Brandi,
            I'm with you on your decision. If you need it, get it over with! I feel my momentum is building every mth for this & if something holds me up more than a mth or two I'll scream! Think of how much better shape you'll be in the future! all my best wishes to you & buy some neat pillows that'll cheer you up! I keep buying 'em & my kids are going nuts with all the pillows!!! Ly Http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Brandi,

Aren't you glad to have the decision behind you? Soon, you will have the surgery behind you also.

That was me who posted about keeping Scoliosis in perspective...it's not cancer. Wow, someone actually took my advice!

Wishing you a successful surgery and a quick and complete recovery!

Kindest Regards,
              Gail

Comment

Decision

It is a tough decision. I know I have kept putting it off for different reasons such as young children, daughter's graduation, son being sick, and daughter's wedding this summer. Next year is the year, though! Can't put it off any longer. I'm sure not looking forward to that long recovery period.
                Good luck with your decision. It'll be great to get it behind you!
                CSC
                Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Working...
                X