Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tasha

Tasha -

I'd love to hear everyone's response to your question. A lot of people here seem to have gotten over the intial fear of certain movements and since you're only 6 weeks post-op I suspect they'll all say it will get better - especially since your lumbar region was not fused.

I know someone (via email) who was a ballet dancer before sugery. She didn't return to it until a year after surgery and even then she was somewhat afraid of certain moves but now she does variance dance and yoga classes (recreationally no longer professionally).

Chris - I sent you a private message. No real reason, I just happened to tbe in my private msg section.

Comment

Originally posted by Rox
      Sweetness,

I see you didn't understand my last question so others may be confused as well. To clarify, I was trying to figure out your (everyone on the blog) deciding factor for having the surgery if you aren't in any immediate pain.....For eg: At this point I really don't have much pain. The only real reason for considering surgery now would be (i) to avoid future pain and (ii) cosmetic purposes.

Rox
      For ME, I had started being in SOME pain(curve and more sciatic pain than before). I went to see a chiro who took care of my pain for two to three weks at a time, but then it would come back and he couldn't help me no more. So in a matter of months, I decided to get the surgery. Never would have had it for cosmetic reasons, but my curve as big as it was(around 6o degrees), was accompanied by lordosis and wasn't THAT bad(in my eyes). I just didn't mind it that much, it was back there and nobody mentioned it to me or made a fuss about it when they saw it. I also had the surgery b/c I was 26, still young and they didn't need to do anterior as well, YET, so I thought I should go ahead and have it now, since I knew I had to have it eventually anyway, and the longer I waited the longer the surgery would be. Also the fear of having problems with my lungs and heart.

Good luck to you.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Tasha -
        I am interested in hearing reaction to your post too. I am 4 months post-op T4-T12 and have been doing physical therapy. I stil lhave my no bending, no twisiting, no lifting more than 10 lbs restrictions. I do move pretty well though. However, there are still certain things I have a hard time with, like putting on panty-hose or socks, and picking things up off the ground.

I was very active before surgery, a competitive tennis player, snow skkier, runner, yoga, pilates... Today at PT I asked my therapist how long before I would be cleared to run. He looked at me like I was nuts. I told him I was signed up to walk a 5k, but wanted to know how soon before I could run a 5k. He told me that I would have to check with the doc, but that he didn't think running would ever be a good idea. My heart just SANK. The whole rason I had surgery was because I understood that I would be able to do all the things I could do before (albeit with possible modifications) but still do them all the same. If I knew that there were going to be MAJOR limitations on my activities (tennis, skiing, no running...) I would have waited much longer to have the surgery.

I had the surgery, because my back pain was starting to impact my activity level, pain was increasing, and curve was progressing. I was told that it is better to have it sooner because of faster recovery time and better correction possibility while younger. But, I would have held out until I was really bad, just so I could do the things I love in life (being ACTIVE!) a little longer, instead of getting "corrected" but having to sit on the sidelines for everything. (Of course, I may have had back pain keeping me on the sidelines, so that was the big chicken/egg question)

So, I have an appt with the surgeon on May 31. I am going to try to really nail him down on what I can/cannot vs. should/should not do as far as activity level goes. Like, I could run, but shouldn't? I was under the impression pre-surgery that I could... but now the PT guy is telling my I shouldn't. I am VERY frustrated.
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spinewhine,

If you were my age (almost 57), you'd be thrilled if you could just get on your pantyhose.

Chris

Comment

Hi Meg...

I'm guessing that most doctors would tell you that it's OK to run when you're 12 mos. or more post-op. However, you should always keep in mind that the discs above and below your fusion are at greater risk for damage because of the fusion. And, activities that put additional stress on those discs, put you at great risk for damage. I think we each have to decide what we're willing to risk.

By the way, depending on the length and location of your fusion, you may always have trouble doing things like putting on pantyhose. I stopped wearing them a long time ago. :-) I also have trouble doing my own pedicures. I can reach my left foot relatively well, but it's really difficult to reach my right foot with any control.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

physical activities post surgery

You might want to try bicycling, instead of running. I found that to be good aerobic exercise. I ran for 10 years until my lumbar curve caused a big discrepancy in leg length, then I bicycled and I still can bicycle, but not the distances that I used to do. Right now, I wonder what damage I am doing running up and down steps all day. I used to walk around barefoot but now I wear sneakers. I hope this will help save those unfused parts of my spine. The acitivity that bothers me the most is reaching into the refrigerator. Most refrigerators here are small and very low, buying else is very expensive. I find myself avoiding using the refrigerator when fixing my lunch so I don't have to stoop.

Comment

My doctor told me NO running. I'm fused from T-9 to L-5. He said the only exception would be if I went to the beach and just wanted to run down the beach a time or two, that would be ok. He took both of his fist and hit them on top of each other and told me that type of impact would not be good for the disk above and below my fusion.

I have this one fear since surgery...the ability to run if I have to. I have always been cautious when I am alone and going to my car in a parking lot. I use to continuously look around and behind myself for anyone suspious. Now it is more difficult, because I kind of have to stop and turn around and look...and then if I had to run I don't think I could. That's where the pepper spray comes in.

Kindest Regards,
                Gail

Comment

Gail...

Wait until you DO have to run. It's pretty gross feeling.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by SpineWhine
                    Tasha -
                    I am interested in hearing reaction to your post too. I am 4 months post-op T4-T12 and have been doing physical therapy. I stil lhave my no bending, no twisiting, no lifting more than 10 lbs restrictions. I do move pretty well though. However, there are still certain things I have a hard time with, like putting on panty-hose or socks, and picking things up off the ground.

I was very active before surgery, a competitive tennis player, snow skkier, runner, yoga, pilates... Today at PT I asked my therapist how long before I would be cleared to run. He looked at me like I was nuts. I told him I was signed up to walk a 5k, but wanted to know how soon before I could run a 5k. He told me that I would have to check with the doc, but that he didn't think running would ever be a good idea. My heart just SANK. The whole rason I had surgery was because I understood that I would be able to do all the things I could do before (albeit with possible modifications) but still do them all the same. If I knew that there were going to be MAJOR limitations on my activities (tennis, skiing, no running...) I would have waited much longer to have the surgery.

I had the surgery, because my back pain was starting to impact my activity level, pain was increasing, and curve was progressing. I was told that it is better to have it sooner because of faster recovery time and better correction possibility while younger. But, I would have held out until I was really bad, just so I could do the things I love in life (being ACTIVE!) a little longer, instead of getting "corrected" but having to sit on the sidelines for everything. (Of course, I may have had back pain keeping me on the sidelines, so that was the big chicken/egg question)

So, I have an appt with the surgeon on May 31. I am going to try to really nail him down on what I can/cannot vs. should/should not do as far as activity level goes. Like, I could run, but shouldn't? I was under the impression pre-surgery that I could... but now the PT guy is telling my I shouldn't. I am VERY frustrated.
                    Meg,

your post hit something with me and how I have felt about certain things. For me, I wasn't a big exercise person(actually I didn't like much of anything concerning sports except swimming that I LOVE and walking, but those are the best exercises for us anyway, so no big deal right). However, before surgery, I used to love driving my very low sportscar. I always owned one, and maybe it's something in the family but we love cars, as weird as it may sound or unecessary for some, it was one of the things that I adored doing. After surgery, years later I had to resign myself that I couldn't be comfortable AT ALL driving and even getting in it. To this day it hurts, as I'm 35 and had the surgery at 26-very young. I say that maybe I should have waited but you know, it could be selective memory on my part, but I had pain before the surgery and even if I could sit in it without having back pain, my sciatica started to kill me at that time and so I realize that I wouldn't have been able to drive in it much longer anway, and that I was at my limit to get surgery before it was too late IMO. So that's life Btw I had to run one time during a very bad episode that I will not get into right now, and it did feel heavy. But you know what I was not an athlete before like you and if you can get back there, and you know the risk I say do what feels good to YOU and live life. When I was pain free for those few years I still did ride some roller coasters and did certain things that would not be "recommended". IMO it has to do with the fact that if there is not too much pain, why not(but that's just me).

When I talk about flexibility, that's what I mean when I say I miss some of mine. I just miss being carefree and coming back from a pic nic lying on the grass without having pain, but it's what had to be done in my case and I have to accept it. I'm sorry for the lenght and I hope I didn't ramble too much but I wanted to share how I felt on the subject and did get exactly what you mean.

Give yourself time, it takes time and things change and come back more to normal
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I know its frustrating right now, not being able to do some of the things you thought you could do after surgery... but remember that most of the restrictions are temporary... Probably you will be able to do most things again eventually, but you will have to work up to them step by step... kinda like learning to walk again after extensive surgery.
                      About a month ago (5 months post-op), i had a terrible scare. I'm prone to panic attacks anyway now :S .... I had just gotten to school (i'm a school counselor and my office is at one end of a long hall) when my son called my cell phone to tell me they were sending my husband to the hospital in an ambulance thinking he was having a stroke!!! I panicked!! I knew i had to get to the main office to tell someone that i was leaving to go to the hospital.... i started out running.....YEAH RIGHT!! lol.. i made just a couple of steps when my back reminded me viciously that i couldn't DO that anymore..lol.. by the time i got to the office, i was in terrible shape, shaking, crying, limping, and hyperventilating... and they wouldn't let me drive, one of my friends took me. Anyway, long story short... it turned out ok... no stroke...hubby's fine.... but i did realize that i couldn't just "cut and run" the way i used to...
                      Now i listen to my body... if it shouldn't be doing something it lets me know... and if something is ok, i've usually already done it before i realize it.. Time will improve your agility. Just be patient and don't get discouraged!!!
                      and dont panic!! ((hugs)) JoAnn

Comment

Everyone is SO different!

Hey Rox Welcome. I too like you read a lot of posts before starting my own. I am 43 & 7 weeks post op. T10-L4 fusion. As I heal I realise we all have scoliosis but all have similar yet different healing. I am so happy to have found this forum with so much info. I took all posts I read and considered the persons age and curves and put myself in the middle as to their experiences be them bad or good. I was very active,flexable and considered youngish for the *49 lumbar curve I had.(per Dr.) I am 10* now! I was able to dress myself (including socks) pretty quick as well as wash my hair. (polished my toes yesterday!)I believe it depends on what kind of shape you are in going into surgery. I was surprised at the pain but there are great meds to control it. I MUST keep track of time between dosages or boy do I hurt. I feel as tough as this has been I can't imagine having this surgery in my 50's or 60's. Hats off to those of you who have! Also, less curve better correction, younger heal faster, pain that leads to healing instead of more pain. I couldn't wait after taking all that in. Plus, my curve was advancing almost 4* per yr. The only sport my Dr. said I shouldn't do again is water skiing. I didn't ask about running as I hate it. I will be back to scubadiving, rollerblading and Snow skiing 1 year post-op he said. I was able to get in but not out (Without husbands hand) of our low sports car at my 2 week check up. We are all different, I read that over and over and it is so true. You will get a great idea what is in store for you through all the wonderful people who take time to post. (THANKS TO ALL!) best wishes Rox! P.S. read the blogs of those who kept daily recovery notes!

Comment

I second that

I do believe it's true that we're so different in healing as well. As far as myself though, most of my pain is in the thoracic region, more where they put screws between the shoulder blades, and that causes a lot of stiffness in my neck and upper back region, therefore doesn't allow me to bend confortably in that area(for example, putting my head down over the sink), and also where I get trouble getting in low cars. But that's where it can differ on wich vertebreas we are fused as well(thoracic vs lumbars, or both, etc), and wether it hits a nerve, it is all so unique and complex to every person. I was extremely flexible before my operation, and maybe that is why I notice the loss of some flexibility more than others who would go into surgery being not very flexible to start with and in more pain than I was. That must play a huge factor as well.

Comment

To Meg, Tasha and everyone elso who is less than 18 months post-op,
                            Take it easy, follow your surgeon's instructions as carefully as possible and have patience. Once you have healed, you will be able to gradually resume physical activities. Of course, proceed gradually and reasonably. At some point, you will be able to look back and see how much progress you have made. When you receive clearance from your doctor, start strengthening your hips, abs, hamstrings and legs. The flexibility will improve your quality of life and help you to be sports-ready. Good luck to all of you!
                            Shelley

Comment

Ok, I am a sap. I am literally sniffling back tears reading these kind posts. God, I love this forum. Some days are frustrating, and this is the kindest place I have found to get myself refocused and recentered. It helps to know there are others out there going through something similar and can share their thoughts, wisdom, and experience. Thanks!
                              Meg is Spinewhine
                              31 years old with thoracic curve
                              Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
                              Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
                              http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X