No announcement yet.

Being at home after.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My house was the least of my worries after surgery. During my recovery I learned what was important and what wasn't. I learned that if my husband didn't do everything exactly as I would have...it was o.k....he was doing his best. You'll be so thankful for anyone that does anything for you. I remember telling my husband how much his outreached hand meant to me. I will never forget all the times he reached his hands out to help me up out of a chair or bed. To this day, when I see older folks..I always try to extend my hand and help them, open a car door for them etc. This surgery gives you a new perspective on things.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Thanks everyone. I know the house isn't the most important thing in the world to be worried about but after years of living alone with two kids and doing it all, yeah, it makes me nervous..lol

I talked with my sis tonight while shopping about getting maid service like one day a week and she knows some people who can help with that and also are occupational therapist friends of hers. She's going to talk to them and see if they won't mind swinging by once in awhile to help me out.
      I certainly don't want my sons to have to help me in and out of the shower etc.

We are going supply shopping this weekend for tools like a raised toilet seat and a grabber and small stuff.

You guys are all so helpful with ideas, thanks so much!
      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
      Curve post op = 20 degrees
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

When I was in Rehab and then at home, my doctor "prescribed" a physican therapist and occupational therapist for me. The occupational therapist taught me how to do simple things for myself, but also helped me in the shower when my husband was not around. You might check with your doctor about that...as well as your insurance company. I prefered my husband being there for my shower, but by the time he got home, all I could do was eat & go to bed. I also did NOT want my daughter helping me in the shower. The therapist was a huge help. Linda

Comment

I am definitely going to talk about all this stuff at my pre-surgery consult on teh 25th.
          I think a nurse aid even one day a week would be a huge help.

A strange thought came to me last night and made me giggle but also semi-disgusted.
          How am I gonna shave my legs?...lmao
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

LOL - very carefully. I shave by sitting in my shower chair and putting my foot up on the ledge of the tub. Then I do what I can reach. When I am feeling adventuresome I stand up, then put one leg on the shower chair. (ooohhh, aaahhh) I did try to have my husband do it at first, but that didn't go so well. I just was pretty hairy for a few weeks!

Forgot to add to the pre-surgery list: we installed a detachable/hand-held shower head in the bathroom. Made things MUCH eaasier. It was pretty cheap and easy to do ourselves. Also, LOTS of pillows. I needed about 6=7 in bed with me to prob myself the way I liked. Then needed 1-2 in whatever chair I sat in or on the couch, and also in the car. i have little pillow stations all over the house, so I don't have to carry all the pillows wherever I go.

Plastic cups in the bathroom are handy too. I couldn't lean over at first to spit toothpaste into the sink. I just ended up making a mess on the counter, or down the front of my shirt. I ended up spitting in a cup then rinsing it out. It is just small things like this that you can't let frustrate you, and you'll find a way to improvise and go with the flow! Plus, those things also get easier with time!
            Meg is Spinewhine
            31 years old with thoracic curve
            Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
            Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
            http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Regarding the pillows...I used several at first, also. My husband did buy a wedge pillow (at a back store, but you can get them at a medical store and probably Wal-Mart as well) that worked really well. It put me at an angle in bed, but when I was finally able to turn to my side, we had to move it out from under me! Now, it stays in the living room for me to use in my favorite chair.

Comment

If you can stand the pain, and afford the price, I highly recommend having your legs waxed. I had mine waxed before surgery, and they stayed almost hairless for about a month.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Great suggestion Linda. I'm going to look into that before I go in for surgery.
                  Funny but true story, every time I've had to go to the hospital for emergencies, my legs haven't been shaved and I always felt kinda embarrassed about it.
                  I will definitely look into a salon to do my legs..lol

I will also go pillow shopping. Something I wanted to do anyway as i need some new ones anyway.
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

Comment

Regarding leg shaving, I taped a disposable razor onto a wooden spoon. Tape the razor on the handle end, not the spoon end. I shaved my legs this way for months, even after I was out of the shower chair and showering on my own. But if you can afford it, Linda's idea about getting waxed is better.
                    SandyC

Comment

Originally posted by SandyC
                      Regarding leg shaving, I taped a disposable razor onto a wooden spoon. Tape the razor on the handle end, not the spoon end. I shaved my legs this way for months, even after I was out of the shower chair and showering on my own. But if you can afford it, Linda's idea about getting waxed is better.
                      Very clever!
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

Comment

Reg the raised toilet seat and the grabber, see if your ins will cover it. My Dr. prescribed it and they brought it to the hospital when I was ready to leave. The medical supply store could even take it to your house and install it or whatever you need. We didnt have to pay for it with my first surgery, but with my second surgery we had a 3$ copay (not bad considering what you could pay for it). Just a thought. I would talk to your MD about it before you buy it and see if the Ins covers it.
                        Mandy

(PS: I went one month without shaving my legs. I didnt really care after awhile. I just wore long pants.)

Comment

Ditto on what Curvy said about your insurance covering it, mine covered the walker and the raised toilet seat, but not the grabber or the shower bench. We waited to see what was covered and then picked up the rest as soon as I was released. As for waxing, I didn't do my legs, but did have another area (ahem) waxed prior to the surgery. I also got a pedicure, as I knew it was going to be a long while before I was going to be reaching my feet, and others may be helping me put on socks and shoes. Didn't want to gross anybody out with gross feet! Ha ha!
                          Meg is Spinewhine
                          31 years old with thoracic curve
                          Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
                          Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
                          http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did you have anterior surgery done?
                            I'm having both so yeah, definitely going to pay some attention to my southern region before I go in...lol

Pedicure! Oh my gosh yes!
                            I would hate for people to see my feet all gnarly for however long.

I'm hoping insurance will cover most of what I need and if not, I'll just have to have sis go shopping when I get out.
                            No pain anymore!!
                            Google is your friend

Comment

I thought of something else.
                              My hair.
                              I swear I'm not a vain person at all but some of these things are just female issues in general anyway...lol

Anyway, my next question about hair.
                              I have extremely long hair, almost to my butt, naturally curly meaning naturally tangle prone.
                              How long before I can wash my hair?
                              Will I have trouble brushing it?
                              Any suggestions for what to do with my hair during the two week hospital stay?
                              I have no problem looking completely disheveled in my own home but at the hospital, doctors, nurses, random friends visiting etc.
                              Should I have it braided or something so it won't get crazy tangled or something?
                              Thanks again.
                              You gals are all so helpful and I appreciate so much all your patience with all my questions and "silly" worries...lol
                              No pain anymore!!
                              Google is your friend

Comment

I just wanted to add a pic of one of my MRI films. This is a cross section of my spine.
                                I have about 3 discs missing in this image, 2 cynovial cysts and although not very visible, massive nerve damage and stuff.

When I get better before xrays (prob on the 25th for my consult) I will post them. Having sis bring her digital cam with us to my appointment.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1139/mrinew7bh.jpg
                                No pain anymore!!
                                Google is your friend

Comment

Working...
                                X