Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when it's time for surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irene

Thank you for posting the link. I will see another PT after my revision surgery and ask about Pilates, and other alternatives. Some of those look painful , others look not so bad.

I was thinking about your weight, and did your ortho ever tell you to gain some as it may help not feeling the hardware so much? I used to be not even 100 pounds after surgery, but after putting on 20 pounds it helped, or maybe it was the muscles and time that did too, but it can't hurt to try. It's tricky to not be overweight but not too underweight either, when it comes to our situation. I know putting on weight for some is not easy-from personal experience- but now it's the opposite for me Eating is fun
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Weight

Sweetness ~ For the first 56 years of my life, my weight was always around 128 to 135 pounds... After surgery, my depression really set in, and I didn't care about myself. I was stuffing chocolate down my throat like there was no tomorrow! I shot up to 158 pounds!! I looked like an idiot because I remained skinny everywhere... face, neck, chest, arms, legs... but my butt, waist, hips and thighs looked like I had swallowed a whole pig! I couldn't get up from a squatting position at all without either holding on to something to pull myself up, or I would have to ask my husband to help me get up. As soon as I lost the weight (I am now 138), I'm able to get up and down like old times. It's wonderful. Having the extra weight hurt me even more. I'm finally beginning to feel pretty good again. I know you guys are going to get sick of hearing me say this, but losing the weight combined with my Lexapro, I'm feeling wonderful. The terrible discomfort from this "suit of armor" of titanium and stainless steel is actually easier to handle! I don't seem to notice it as much! Dr. Lenke told me that my extra weight was NO GOOD, and to get it off!
      ~ Irene ~
      Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

Oh good. Yeah when the weight doesn't go where we want it to or is uneven, I would say stay thin
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X