Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Have Post-Op Discomfort after THREE years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! I love ice packs... I lay on them (under the lumbar area) to make myself numb! Heat feels wonderful, but somehow when I get up out of bed, I feel worse!
    ~ Irene ~
    Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

Maybe i will have to try getting rid of my heating pad for awhile...It seems to help a little bit but i guess i'll never know if its making it worse untill i try going without it for awhile. The only thing is is that i love being warm..and like my feet have been cold for just about the whole last two months so it makes them feel better..i'll let you guys know what i find out!
      18 year old female
      scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
      corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
      After second surgery, fusion was a success.
      Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
      Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

I also like warmth but only nice warm baths help.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Abbyjo, Have you ever tried to lay on an ice pack?
          ~ Irene ~
          Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

Yea i have tried using ice packs..i usually find them to make me have more pain, especially right after surgery. I also really dont like beind cold, consindering i am always cold anyways. I guess i'll just have to try it some more tho because i need to find something that will help!

Thanks again!
            Abbyjo
            18 year old female
            corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
            Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Hi again, Abbyjo! I just wanted to let you know that when I first lay down on ice packs (under the "suit of armor" in my lumbar area) ~ it hurts like hell from the freezing cold... but after I do some deep breathing and my "Pilates" excersices, and I relax completely, the area starts to go numb... That's the part that I like! By the way... I recently made the decision... I've read enough on this Forum to say that no one is going to cut my back open ever again! ~ "NO MORE SURGERY", unless I have a strong urge to die! Try the ice a few times, Abby... If it continues to hurt too much, then just forget about it!
              ~ Irene ~

Comment

Irene..I still haven't found time to try to do the incing...with being a junior in high school i find that im completely loaded to the point where i don't really ever have much time to just sit and rest. I do agree however that it it really nice once the whole area goes numb. I like my pain pills too tho..although i rarely take them..i just took a couple though because i have the PSAT test today and i dont want my back hurting the whole time and not be able to concentrate. Why have you decided not to have another surgery? I guess i said the same thing after my third surgery...i told my doctor im never having a surgery again! But now im almost hoping and praying they find something wrong and they can go in and fix it to put my out of my missory because i do have that strong urge to die! Its aweful that we can even say that..its hard to believe that a persons body can cause them so much pain. I guess if i was you i wouldn't just outrule surgery..unless thats what you really want. You've already made it three years, and i know i could never make it that long. Keep strong and keep in touch!
                Abby
                18 year old female

Comment

I sympathize with both of you, I have taken so much but lately the pain is just so unbearable and the wait for surgery is really making me depressed that I too have thoughts of death... That's why I want surgery really bad,(and I never thought I'd say that again) so that's a point that I agree with. One day at a time I try to say
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Abby ~ (...Sweetness and all my NSF Friends too!) ~ Well, I hope you did well on your PSAT test! I'm sure you did! ~ I'm 60 years old, Abby... and I'm so used to pain and discomfort that I've accepted it as part of my life and who I am. I just don't want any one to cut me open again... I can take care of all my own personal needs at the present time, and I have to admit that I'm scared to death of any more surgery. My bones are getting old and I also have osteoarthritis of the spine and disk degeneration. Your body and bones are so young, and you will be able to heal much more quickly than I would. You must do what you sincerely believe is necessary. (Just as long as you get a few opinions before you go under the knife again!) ~ I'm much better off than I was before surgery, so if the pain ever gets to a point (again) where all I think about is "wishing I were dead", then of course I would take action. (...but I'd get many opinions first) ~ Take good care of yourself, Abby! Good luck in high school! Study hard! ~
                    ~ Irene ~

Comment

Working...
                    X