My Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monie...again

I just read your new entires on the blog and the answer is no...you do not need to respond to the person that wrote to you. You said it perfectly in your latest entry and there is nothing more to say...blogging is about YOU and your way of expressing it. YOU STATED: "I talk about the surgery so enthusiastically and happily, because of what it's done for ME. How it's changed MY life... the difference it's made in MY world... I had a condition that affected my life negatively, and this surgery changed that for me..." and Monie, that's what you did - you talked about how it has changed you. I felt the terror through your words before the surgery - it gave ME knots in my stomach to read it. I searched my soul recently and went down that road of sleepless nights and I know that you did also. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you do not need to apologize for ANYTHING. You go girl!!!
    48 year old Female
    3 curves...35, 56, 43
    Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Hey Monie!!!

Sorry I have been lax in rsponding, as I am sure you know the days before surgery are kind of frantic...

Anyway, I think your blog is awesome, and is one of my saving graces. Your writing helps keep things in perspective for me, and has helped me feel not alone as I go through something similar. First, writing your blog for you is enough to make it worthy. BUt, helping just one other person makes it even better, and you have helped me. Down with the naysayers and do your thinkg! People can take it or leave it, and I'll take it!

-Meg
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it's the person who has scoliosis and/or is getting surgery to understand the risks, and talking about these I also mean the post op ones, wether the surgery is not always successful for some or brings new problems like additional surgeries or other pains; by asking her doctor. I know I would have loved having the internet back when I had my surgery to research them more and would have preferred my ortho telling me ALL that can heppen, and that way I wouldn't have been so shocked and dumbfounded when I found out that I needed more surgery. He was honest about the risks of not healing all my pains, at least.

So bottom line it's not the fault of a person writing a blog, everybody has to keep in mind that everybody's situattion and recovery is unique, just like I TRY to keep it in mind when a person who has had surgery asks me about when they will get better and how fast they will recover, as well as the results of their surgery, etc.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Monie, please dont let the nay-sayers get you down... i have enjoyed reading your blog so much as many others here have said they do too. The good you have done with it far outweighs any negative comments that one person might conjure. I've always considered a blog to be a sort of a personal journal anyway... one that you are kind enough to share with others.. and it should be taken as such by readers. YOUR thoughts and experiences.. not universal truths.. just YOUR story... Anyway.. i want to thank you for it.. i enjoy it very much...

Comment

To Monie

Keep writing and sharing! You have such a sense of humor and your writing is so down to earth!
            It put it all in perspective and in no way glamorizes this serious surgery.

CSC
            CSC
            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Thank You

I want to say 'thank you' to everyone who's written words of encouragement since I got that nasty email. She's written me 2 other emails since then, and from the theme in all of them, I'm convinced that she's just going out of her way to make me feel bad... I guess everyone needs a punching bag... I don't know. Well, to those of you who understand, thank you... for everything. Your support is definitely something to lean on... :-)
              27 Years Old
              Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
              Post Surgery: 15 degrees
              www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

I know all too well that sometimes in the cyber world, either what we say is not taken the right way and just like in life, not everybody likes us. I really don't care anymore, I know what I mean so that's good enough for me

I do feel bad for this lady, I don't know all that she feels or what she says, but if she did have surgery or not, and is in pain, I'm sorry. I know that from having my surgery and my recovery being so long and hard, I would have not made it as much if I didn't have certain doctors reassuring me that it was normal and another lady IRL telling me how she had a similar experience to mine, just like I remember Kat's experiences helping you Monie when you had pain at some point. If I would have talked to others who were doing so much better than me, that would have discouraged me so much more, b/c it would have made me feel like I would never see the light, but not only are we all different on the recuperation part, but each surgery is different, such as the grafting.

Anyways, rambling on....4 days 'till yet another hopefully easIER surgery
                Last edited by sweetness514; 12-11-2005, 02:45 PM.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                X