No announcement yet.

Surgery Oct 13th & 17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark - Thank you very much for the update - I am so glad to hear sharon's doing so well so soon!! How are You holding up? It's not easy being the supporting spouse (God be with you too!!)

Comment

Second (Posterior) procedure status update

Hi all,

Guess I was a little optimistic, thinking I'd have enough time to post another status report on Monday or Tuesday.
      The second procedure went well although it took a long time. She went into pre-op at 10:45 Monday morning and I didn't get to see her in the room again until around 4:30 that afternoon. The surgery was about 4 hours of it and the rest pre-op and post-op recovery. Her surgeon, Dr. Fry came by and told me that he was able to correct most if not all of her scoliotic curve. It's now 10 degrees or less and she'll likely be an inch or two taller once she gets back on her feet.
      We had problems with her pain management, so it's been a difficult time and the main reason for taking so long to get this out. I've been at the hospital pretty much constantly helping Sharon in any way I can.
      I believe that the worst pain for her is over with the current medication setup and we can finally start working on the recovery process. She was able to get out of bed and walk a short distance twice today with the assistance of two Physical Therapists and a custom-made torso brace. Sounds modest to a healthy person, but for a gal who was recently sporting a chest tube, has a 14" incision down her back and ~10" or so of steel rod screwed to her spine, that's really something.
      We're very grateful for your continued prayers, thoughts and well wishes. They will be needed over the next few months as she starts the journey back to a "normal" life. She'll probably stay in the hospital for a couple more days and then be transferred to the rehab facility. I'll try to send out another status report then.
      Thanks again and God Bless.
      --Mark
      Singing the Blues
      Female 1951
      A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
      Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

Thanks so much for the update Mark - Continued Prayers going out for you and Sharon!! God Speed!!

Comment

To Ken and all designated caregivers

Ken,

Thanks for the supportive thoughts. I feel guilty complaining when my wife is going through, well you know. It's been hard.

If any supporting spouses/caregivers are reading this, the best I can offer is:

Apologies to sensitive readers, but stripped of the medical mumbo-jumboery, the surgical process would be barbarism without the grace of God and the state of medicine as we know it today. In Sharon's case, it was a two procedure surgical process that was described as; "a huge hit to the body" (both the chest team and the orthopedist on separate occasions); and "looks like a horror film at times" by the lead chest surgeon while describing the posterior procedure to his PA. This is a major deal and shouldn't be entered into lightly.

Get Wolpert's book and read it cover to cover a couple of times in advance. It'll help defuse the awful parts and give you something to anchor to while your loved one is on this journey.

Plan to take time off to help. Enlist the help of others as well.
          I'm fortunate enough to have sufficient time off and an understanding employer. I can't imagine undergoing this alone.

Take notes and keep a journal from the very beginning. It's proved invaluable.

Don't hesitate to ask questions of the medical professionals in whom your loved one's life is entrusted. In particular, nursing staff to patient ratios almost guarantee a certain amount of confusion or inconsistency in the delivery of support to the patient. Don't annoy them by second-guessing them. They are credentialed, caring professionals, but the fact that they are overworked and human means that it won't be perfect. Keeping track of the medication schedule can mean that your loved one won't have to endure a 30 minute gap in pain relief because someone was busy or forgot.

Finally, there is a statement in the book that scoliosis surgery will push you (the patient) to your emotional and physical limits. I agree with that completely. I was surprised to discover how much it's changed me.

Thanks for listening - some folks charge lotsa money to let me go on as I've done.

--Mark (while Sharon's "indisposed")
          Singing the Blues
          Female 1951
          A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.

Comment

Two stage surgery Dec 1

I have not been on for a while but just read all the recent posts on this thread and I am with you all looking ahead to surgery. I am glad to hear that Sharon's surgeries went well. Mark, you sound awesome, I hope my husband will be able to deal with everything as you have. Though we have two young children so it may be enough to put him over the edge at times I expect.

I will have my 6th corrective spine surgery on Dec 1 & Dec 6 at UCSF by Dr. Deverin. I'm curious, however, all of you speak about your scoliosis but do any have kyphoscoliosis like I do...105 degree kyphosis (humpback curve) and 36 degree scoliosis. My scoliosis at 16, 1987, was 44 degrees like Sharon's and was told I needed surgery. The rod broke, had others put in (89) then two surgeries in (94) and a fifth in (95). My kyphosis seems to have started about 8 yrs ago and has just progressed. I have heard good stories thus far from a few who have gone thru the 2-stage revision surgery so I am hopeful. I have experience that is for sure but this one is a little more scary.

I'm 35 now and have a 7 & 4 yr old so I am mostly worried about how it will affect them and my husband in the months after. Anyone go thru this w/ kids at home?

From my experience, you must keep your humor about you even when you are crying in pain and frustration. I've always told everyone that all of this builds character! I must be right cuz it seems everyone who posts has a lot of character...the best kind.

Good luck to you all and God bless.
            Kim
            35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
            *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
            *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
            *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
            *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
            *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

Mark,

Sharon is blessed to have you! The insight and information that you give is invaluable to those of us considering the surgery, and I know putting it into words must be difficult with all that is going on. Keep us posted.

Sue
              48 year old Female
              3 curves...35, 56, 43
              Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Mark, thank God for you. You are a tremendous help to Sharon. I know, because my husband was there for me after my surgery. I'm sure you feel it is probably the hardest thing you two have ever gone through, especially emotionally. You will experience good days, bad days, but in the end you will have each other to rely on. I couldn't have made it without my husband. He took off 5 weeks to be with me during and after surgery. I feel so bad because all the attention has been focused on my recovery and he, as you probably are too, has been in the background, but he amazes me with his support for me. Good luck.
                JudyK

Comment

My thanks to you, Mark! Your words will be read by my husband this evening. I know that he needs all this information as much as, or more than, I do. Our continued prayers are with you! Linda

Comment

Another major milestone...

Sorry to be so inconsistent with the updates, but I thought I'd just let you all know that this afternoon around 4:00, Sharon passed another major milestone. She was transferred from Carson Tahoe Hospital to the Carson Rehabilitation Center. Yeah - rehab. My head's still swimming. In truth, the rehab facility is much more conducive to recovery than the surgical ward in the hospital. It's quieter, and she has more nurses available to her. Barring unforeseen complications, this will likely accelerate her recovery and get her back home faster than we ever anticipated.
                    Gawd - I'll have to clean up the mess I've made of the house sooner than I thought!!
                    %^-)
                    KML - my heart goes out to you. It's really tough and we're just on our first (and hopefully only) one. You are amazing.
                    All - thanks for the kind words. I've been printing out these thread responses and bringing them into the hospital for her to read. I truly believe that this is a team effort here. This would be much harder without all your support and kind words.

--Mark
                    -for-
                    Sharon
                    Singing the Blues
                    Female 1951

Comment

KML, you mentioned concern for your young ones post-surgery. I didn't have spine surgery, but 4 years ago, when mine were 11,11, and 9 years old (yes, I have twins), I had sinus surgery. The doctor had to "break" my nose to straighten the sinus passages, etc., so it was very painful and noone could get near my face for a month. I notified all the teachers and scout leaders, etc., in my kids' classes and extracurricular activities that I would be out of commission for awhile and unable to help the kids with things at home like homework. I also had my mother stay with me and help my kids the first week post-surgery. Fortunately, mine were in school most of the time during the day, so I could "rest" in peace. You may need to prepare the kids mentally that they will not be able to bump you or climb on you, etc. Good luck and God bless! Kris

Comment

Working...
                      X