Any regrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Paul...

I don't really know anything about Dr. Hammerberg. Dr. Gupta did a fellowship with Keith Bridwell, so he'd probably be my choice for a second opinion:

http://www.uchospitals.edu/physician...n.html?id=5978

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Paul
      Chris, I am curious as to what type of scoliosis you have? I'm 54 and have degenerative adult scolisos which is primarily in my lumbar section. From what I'm told I will need a fusion both posterior and anterior. For this reason I'm being told "the cure is worse than the disease" and not to have th surgery unless I absolutly have to.

I think we might be neighbors since I live on the north shore as well and have seen Eldin Kr.... out of evanston. He did not give me the comfort I needed to consider him for surgery.
      Paul,

I have had scoliois since about the age of 12 (classic adolescent idiopathic scoliosis). It was never treated. Doctors over the years told me there was nothing that could be done. I never gave much thought to it since I never had problems UNTIL THIS YEAR. I had an appointment with Dr. Eldin Karaikovic in July when I was diagnosed with severe adult scoliosis. The Cobb angle measured from T10 - L3 is 74 degrees. It's primarily lumbar with some degeneration. Needless to say, I was shocked to learn this. Dr. K. prescribed physical therapy and said that other than that, my only option is surgery. I did get a second opinion from Dr. Avi Bernstein at the Spine Center at Lutheran-General. He did not recommend surgery since I did not come to him with a history of chronic pain. He said this is very serious surgery. No kidding. He also wanted standing x-rays, which he looked at in my presence during my second appointment with him, but did not comment, only to say that he treated a woman with the same degree curvature by fusing two vertebrae. My feeling about him is that he takes the least aggressive course of action. This may be the best approach since perhaps five or ten years from now they will have better procedures. And, unfortunately, once the spine is fused, it can't be unfused. I'm curious...what treatment did Dr. Eldin prescribe for you? Are you considering surgery at this time?

Comment

Linda, thanks for the referral!

Chris, in my opion Dr. Eldin Karaikovic is a very bright and talented doctor. I went to see him after reading about some of the micro-surgery work he was doing on backs. He told me I was not a candidate. I never saw Avi Bernstein. After just reviewing the web sites of these doctors I didn't see either one taking a scoliosis fellowship. To me that is first branch on the decision tree. These both are probably very good orthopedic surgeons, but I want someone that had dedicated their primary practice to scoliosis care or has a special interest in scoliosis care. I know Linda Racine has recommended a few quality doctors on this site in the Chicagoland area.

I am definelty considering surgery after 5 years of trying to rid myself of pain. I saw Hammerberg today out of Rush (he also has an office out of Holy Family) who was trained under Ronald DeWald, who I understand had and still has one of the best scoliosis fellowships. Also attending DeWald's fellowship program is Keith Bridwell out of St Louis. http://www.spineuniverse.com/authorbio.php?authorID=30 As Linda explained in a previous post Bridwell now offers his own fellowship and Dr. Gupta from U of C participated in this program. There is also a doctor out of Hospital for Special Surgery Oheneba Boachie-Adjei, MD in New York that has done some incredible work on scoliosis.

You may also want to check out this article from US News on the best hospitals in the county. You can rate them by orthpedic care.

I hope I answered some of your questions. Like you I am facing the decision on surgery and am now looking for the same answers you are: was it worth it and would you do it again. I you want to contact me directly you can at: bronyaur@att.net

Best of luck to you.

Paul
        Last edited by Tall Paul; 10-11-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X