Week and a half before surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pkscott

One advantage you have is that you are YOUNG and you will heal very quickly. This whole thing will pass.

You have your whole life ahead of you with a straighter back!

I was done at age 60 and even I healed!

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Support system uncertainty

I know the feeling of uncertainty with the support system. I'm also 24, single, no kids, but I've been battleing with my mother over the surgery consultation. I'm reallt scared- the surgery is December 16. I really wanted someone to be there with me when he explained the procedures and recovery, but my mother felt as though I was a 'big girl' and didn't need anyone there with me. After two desperate tearful phone calls to her, I felt like giving up. I even slammed my fist down so hard against the table in frustration that I broke a blood vessel in my hand! Finally, my father called me to clear the air- and they both ended up coming to the consultation with me. I feel better about her now- cause I think she is beginning to understand the severity of the situation- but it still concerns me that she feels this way- and she will be the one taking care of me in the recovery.
      It's such a relief to be able to hear everyone else's experiences, fears and frustrations. My mother might not understand what you or I are going through, but everyone on this forum does. I'm so thankful that there are so many people around to help and give advice.
      As for your surgery- just think of how much better life will be afterwards! I have to take so many pain killers everyday- and they don't even do that much anymore. I also found out the other day that I've lost an inch and a half in height in the past year alone! Can you believe that? The surgery is so worth it- I cannot wait! Definately let your sisters and boyfriend know that you need help- this is a very important time in your life- and loved ones should help without a doubt!
      I'll be thinking of you- take care and good luck! I'm right behind you!

Comment

Shllbug-

Thank you, I feel better! What should I take to the hospital with me? I know I'll need a robe & toiletries but what else might help me?

Comment

PKscott...

You can find a list here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda- you are a real sweet lady!

Comment

You're very welcome. Best of luck with your surgery!

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello - Has any one heard from Pkscott? Looking forward to getting some news!!!
                Last edited by Ken; 10-17-2005, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X