It's the bill that hurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I am a bit new to all this so, please forgive my ignorance.

Linda, about the conference and rods used in India, please can anyone tell me what the best rods are. I do not know the difference. I want the best because I hope to the the operation once.

Also I know there is a forum discussing breasts an how it is affected by Scoliosis. Did it affect anyone here and how. Is anyone considering breast augmentation.

Thanks

A

Comment

harringtons aren't used in the UK (or shouldn't be, i know tucker doesn't use them) it's not something you have to worry about if he's your surgeon.
      diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
      braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
      fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
      Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
      scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hi Amaka...

There is no way to know which implants are the best. Harrington rods have been around the longest, and are known to cause problems when used in some circumstances.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

UK vs. US

Hi everyone,

The discussion became quite interesting comparing UK and US.

I live in UK, my husband is from Texas. I have been looking for a treatment for my brother who has kyphoscoliosis and his condition is quite complicated with huge lung failure (pneumonia in Feb 2007 and in clinic now to recover after 21 days on respiratory machine). His right lung (that is the bigger part for him) is severely damaged and he needs the surgery to open his left side and give chance for the left lung to breath otherwise he needs oxygen!

I have been looking mainly for surgeons in US although haven't figured out how to approach the payment problem. However, looking at the posts here about UK got me interested and being in London I am going to try and meet with Dr. Tucker to find out more.

Please if anyone has opinion on where I can find better treatment - please let me know. My brother is 34, we have never done anything to improve his condition, I was away for the last 6 years seeing him just once per year and believe his condition has worsen for this period. With the lung problems now things are looking really bad and I need a doctor who will take the risk!

Thank you in advance.
          Daniela

Comment

Dr. who would "take the risk"

If your brother's lungs are that bad now there is no guarantee anyone could operate because of the anesthesia. This is because, when an anterior approach is used-and usually needed for severe cases, one lung only gets the anesthesia while the other lung in the operative fiield is allowed to collapse because it get's in the surgeon's way. Some people whose lungs were overly compressed by the scoliosis cannot tolerate what we call in my profession: "one lung anesthesia".

I suggest trying the German Schroth method which involves intensive PT, exercises, braces, myofascial release. This could possibly get him in shape for a surgical procedure but I am not sure about permanent results for adults. There are definite studies showing adolescents need fewer surgical interventions who use this technique.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
            X