No announcement yet.

Relentless Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Unfortunately, I don't have family that is willing to help. My sister has two little ones and a job. My aunt has two kids at home also and works. No one else is willing to help. But I will look into the shots and getting some help with Sam. Thanks again!

Comment

Don't give up! Keep a positive attitude, please. PM me at royandlinda@ev1.net. I will try to find someone in the area that can help. Let me know the general area that you live. Linda

Comment

I guess I'm going to be known as the discourager in here, but I feel very strongly about this, atleast based on my experience. After I had my baby, I experienced horrible pain all through my back, specifically in my shoulder and one particular side. It became so bad that I got more desperate for surgery as a cure. When my son was two, I finally got the surgery. I regret it more than anything I've ever regretted. I would give anything to be able to pick up my boy and have the back pain I used to have, compared to the back pain I have now-one year after surgery. Scoliosis causes a lot of pain, but back rubs, hot pads, PT, and lots of other things can make it feel better, even if momentarily. But after surgery, back rubs don't even feel good anymore. I've lost the ability to do so many mommy things, when before I could atleast do them, whether painfull afterwards or not, atleast I had a choice. My boy is three now and everyday this summer, I've been desperate to be able to bend over and put his little feet on the bicycle pedals and teach him how to pedal, but I can't bend in that way anymore. My advice is to take advantage of hot baths and heating pads and back rubs as a way to get through it. May God bless you with freedom from pain.

Comment

Hi Nuts...

Have you considered getting an opinion from a doctor other than your original surgeon? Where are you located, and who did your surgery?

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Nuts...

I understand to some degree what you mean. I did have surgery when I had no choice whatsoever and couldn't sit or stand for more than a little while. Now I see that it was good for that, but as far as being flexible I know it's different for everybody, but I could do everything before and was SO flexible, like for example get into my sports car that I had to sell after the surgery.

I would do it again since having a big curve is not only bad for our overall health but at least I'm more straight now and can sit longer. The pains are different. What I'm really discouraged about is having a broken rod and loose screws after only 6 to 8 years post surgery, when they suggest that we can play football and do whatever we want without breaking anything- WRONG. I can't believe the hadware can be so fragile, and I also know now that waiting longest to have surgery is the best option since so many problems can occur later on, such as DDD, and like myself broken hardware needing another surgery. I'm so glad I waited to have it when I was 26, unlike when I was 18 and pain free(for the most part), and didn't listen to family and doctors then.

Don't despair though, and please see another orhto. It took me two years to really feel all healed and had to get a hook removed at one year post op, so there is always something that can be done for pain. Icing helped me a lot, unlike heat that made me swell but I know we're all different
            Last edited by sweetness514; 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
            X