No announcement yet.

Stupid question of the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you asked this question... and it isn't dumb! I am facing surgery next week for a 55 degree curve with a smaller compensatory curve as well. My orthopaedic doc tells me that if they could correct me 100% that i would gain one inch per ten degrees of curvature... which would mean 5.5 inches taller!! Wow, and i am already 5'8"... however at 53 yrs, i'm old and rusty as an old bicycle chain, so i don't expect 100% correction, but still the spinal surgeon tells me that i will gain several inches. I had always wondered where my sons got their height. My husband is 6'1" or so... but my boys range from 6'4" to 7 feet tall (20 yr old twins are both 7')!! Now i know... it's MEEEE!!! i'm really a tall person squinched up in a short body...
    I am really dreading the surgery and painful recovery, but i am so looking forward to being able to walk straight and tall. Y'all please say a prayer for me next week!

Comment

Hi

My surgeon said that I’ll gain from 3 to 5 centimeters but I gained only 1 although my curve improved from 50 degrees to 12 so i guess it doesn't have to be always 1 inch per 10 degrees.
      Last edited by mona; 09-26-2005, 04:35 PM.
      22 years old female, Surgery date: 30 March 2005
      Posterior Fusion with MOSS Miami System: T10-L3
      Lumbar curve: pre-op 50 degrees, post-op 12 degrees

Comment

I think it depends on the type of procedure your doctor uses. As I said before, my daughter didn't really gain any height. Her doctor told us going in not to expect much additional height.

Mary Lou

Comment

Joanne, What a sense of humor you have! Wish I could be around you more rather than people who frown all the time. My prayers and my family's prayers will be with you beginning now.

Comment

Thank you so much, CrookedSpine! I appreciate the prayers..

I suppose the gain does depend on the type of instrumentation that is used. I have a pre-op appointment with him on Friday and i'll try to get more details about the 'cage' he mentioned using. Then i'll let you know afterwards.

I am trying to be as positive as i can about the whole thing... i figure that's the major part of recovery, a positive attitude...

Comment

Please let me know what he says. It seems as if every day I get more and more anxious. Linda

Comment

After reading this thread I had my husband measure me...Oh my Gawd! I now am 5' 6 3/4" I was close to 5' 8"!! I did ask my Dr. if I would get any taller he said we would be maintaining. I don't know how you couldn't get (even a smidge) taller by straightening out ones spine.

Comment

getting taller?

I gained an inch and half after my revision at age 60. My curves were 30/80/40 and reduced by 50%.

Technically, the spine is actually shortened when they remove the discs and pack bone in the intervertebral spaces to do the fusion after correction is achieved. In spite of this height is gained.

Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                  X