No announcement yet.

Successful surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the input! It was very helpful.

Comment

Just to concur with Karen's advice - the recovery in middle age is much longer, certainly longer than I anticipated. I came home after 4 weeks in hospital just before Christmas, and even with my husband at home for 2 weeks we really struggled to manage. I was uncomfortable in every position and practical things felt overwhelming. It was difficult and slow getting medical advice over Christmas and the new year (UK here) and there was pain and nausea to deal with, as well as sleeplessness. This improved significantly when we were able to access medical advice and when we got a memory foam mattress pad. If you have the chance of rehab do take it for as long as possible - you will thank yourself when you eventually get home, and they will teach you ways of coping which we had to find by trial and error, or not at all.

Best wishes! It is tough but like Karen I am very glad I had the surgery.

Lavinia

Comment

I certainly love hearing the success stories

Hi:

I certainly do love hearing these success stories. I have been trying to be one of them my entire life. After each surgery in my life I did recover fairly quickly, where I was able to drive and live basically a normal life. But as my scoliosis continued to progress severely things became quite more difficult. Today I am looking for a scoliosis revision Dr. I have been hearing wonderful things about Dr. boachie New York. I live in Las Vegas, but if I have any reasonable hope of having just once success story as good as I have read on these posts, I guess I will keep trying, and trying. If anyone could please look at my web site www.FrankieBush.net possibly you might be moving give me more suggestions a successful surgeon. Right now Dr. Boachie seems to be the best. Has anyone heard About Dr. Shelokov? Thanks, Frankie

Comment

Surgery

Sharon: Please see other surgeons. If you are 53 and they are planning
          to fuse you only to L5, the chances are large that in 8 or so years, the
          areas below your L5 will fall apart from the added stress and you will have to have further surgery. On the other hand, I put off surgery for years with
          the help of a chiropracter whom I visited once a month and paid $30 a
          visit. . he was able to stretch the muscles and keep me out of surgery for 15 to 20 years. Surgery is difficult, very expensive, and has some unpleasant possibilities such as infection ( I'v had that) and the possiblility of infection in the future in another part of the body which is immediately attracted to
          the metal in our backs. You need to know ALL the negatives before
          you make this surgery decision. If I were you, I would ask and try several
          chiropracters before you jump into surgery. Your insurance will not
          probably cover all your expenses, ( we have ended paying $7,000)
          from our own pocket. (this included surgeons not on our insurance list
          plus a brace not totally covered plus other things.)
          Go into this slowly!!! Kathleens rose

Comment

I don't think you will have a problem driving after surgery

I do not think you will have a problem driving after surgery, unless there are other problems that I am unaware. I myself drove a car with a 133° curvature for many years. Even after my surgery, back then, "where you had to wear a body cast" I still drove my car across country from Columbus Georgia to Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm quite sure you will be flying in every way. Best of luck to you, sincerely, Frankie
            www.FrankieBush.net

Comment

Going to Rehab After Surgery?

My surgery is scheduled for January 19th. My concern is coming home directly after the surgery. I'm 56 and will have T3-L4 done. It will be a posterior only surgery. When I mention to the nurse I'd like to go to a rehab place for a week or so after the surgery, she seems to feel the insurance (blue cross/blue shield) won't cover it. I live alone (divorced) and my sister will be coming out here (I live in St. Louis and she lives in NJ) for a week but I'm still concerned. I'd rather she come out for a week when I'm two weeks post surgery. Any suggestions?

Lynn

Comment

Hi Lynn...

It depends on how long you'll be in the hospital. The first few days at home are probably the most difficult.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Post op care

Lynn:
                  The best way to find out whether you insurance covers rehab is to check your benefits book. The policies vary so much and nurses are not experts in these matters. You can also contact the people who do discharge planning in the hospital where your surgery is scheduled with your insurance info. This way everything can be set up in advance. I personally can not imagine it not being covered. It is much cheaper than the general hosp and it would allow you to be discharged sooner.
                  Let us know.
                  Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks Linda and Karen,

I think the plan is for a week's hospital stay. This is all sort of general because I see Dr. Bridwell about two months before the surgery and that's not scheduled until January 19th. I personally can't see going directly from the hospital to home, but i think that's the way they generally do it. I'm not the only one who's in this situation and I have great faith in Barnes Hospital.

Lynn

Comment

Back Surgery Sucess

Hi Becky,
                      Just to let you know, I had my first back surgery in 1987 in St. Louis. I didn't have scoliosis, but I was born with spina bifida occutla. They discovered a tumor in my spinal cord. As I grew it grew. I had lumbar decompression and fusion from T10-L2. I had harrington rods and pedicle screws installed. I have gone on to lead a normal life. I have done everthing to test out the back, from skydiving to rapelling. Unfortunately, I was hurt on the job 2 years ago, and had to have another surgery on my back. I now have L3-S1 fused. I am 6 months post-op and doing great. The most important thing I can tell you is listen to your docs, and keep a good attitude. You will have good days and bad days. You just have to learn how to power through the bad days. Anything else I can do to help you let me know.
                      Keith

Comment

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                        I've been reading the posts about how the husbands are doing everything for the patients. I think it's a real blessing you have them. I am concerned, however, about how people who live alone handle things after the surgery. I'm 53, live alone, and will be fused from T-2 to the sacrum. Does anyone have suggestions about how to handle these things if you live alone? Thanks.
                        JanM,
                        I'm 7 months post surgery, and mine was a big one too, top to bottom like yours. I live alone, my wonderful husband died 2 years ago. After surgery I did not come home right away. Stayed in rehab for almost 3 weeks, then 2 weeks at my brother's house, where he and his wife took good care of me. Even had a home nursing service come in (thanks to good insurance!) to evaluate and help me shower, but it was hardly needed. One advised you can do almost anything, just go slow, good advice! My doc was very worried about slips and falls for the first months.
                        When I came home, I was pretty much not using the cane anymore, felt alert, stable and able to shower on my own. I no longer have the tampon problem, but pads could be used for a bit, till you have more hip flexibility.
                        I clean up after my little dog with a long-handled pooper-scooper. I use one to pick up garden stuff too. (I have had to modify my gardening alot, I'm getting into bonsai which you can do at a table!) I have several long-handled picker-upper devices around the house, use them alot. Also have cats, and I worried about that too, but just pull a chair over and sit down to scoop. Get long handled scoopers. Friends lugged home groceries and litter for a month or so. Now I can do for myself, though I keep packages light. ASK FOR HELP! Neighbors are wonderful, and I swear it makes a guy (not to be sexist here...) feel good to be asked to help lift or carry something. I went back to work and driving 3 months post. Still having some pain issues, still taking meds. Looking forward to retirement as soon as I can, because I do not have the stamina I used too, but I stand up straight and I'm no longer the incredible shrinking woman. Good luck, you can do it!
                        Last edited by Polyphemus; 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM.
                        Mild scoliosis diagnosed at 12, wore brace for a year then ignored till after menopause when it started to progress. Lost 5 inches in height. Pre-surgery double curve measured @60/80 degrees. Surgery May 14 & 15, 2008 in Philly, Rothman Inst; Instrumentation & spine fused T1 to L4 with screws into hips. Wore brace for 3 months. Good recovery; totally off pain meds after one year. Now 3 inches taller with no hump, but I lean to side in thoracic & wear 3/4 in. lift on right shoe. No regrets!

Comment

Recovering solo is possible ...

Originally posted by whitney81180 View Post
                          Hi everyone,

Was wandering if anyone new anyone that has had a good outcome with surgeries as an adult with no major pain. Also, when you have surgery, are you able to eventually drive again and live by yourself?
                          I realize this is an old thread someone resurrected, but I don't think people can read enough positive experiences.

The outcome from my surgery was phenomenal, and I haven't regretted it for a moment (even during early recovery). I won't tell you I had absolutely NO post-op pain, but it really wasn't that bad (especially as I increased my time walking daily) - and as soon as I woke up from surgery, I immediately knew my original pain was GONE.

As far as driving, I was released - even for Houston freeways - 3 weeks after surgery. I probably *didn't* drive for another 2 weeks or so because I was walking everywhere, training for a 5K at 33 days post op.

I lived alone before surgery. A friend picked me up from the hospital on the morning of Day 6 post-op, and dropped me at my house to begin my solo recovery.

My neighbors watched my high energy dog, did med runs until I could walk the 20 or so blocks to CVS, and were great about checking to see if I needed anything when they went out. Even in the absence of neighbors, a motivated person could arrange to have these kinds of things handled.

I spent a LOT of time (pre-op) reviewing what I might need and preparing accordingly. I arranged frequently used items at optimal levels, cooked/froze ahead, made out checks for bills and placed them in stamped, addressed envelopes, executed my DNR/Medical Power of Atty paperwork (and just generally tidied my personal affairs), secured a handicapped placard (just in case), etc., etc., ETC. My pre-op to-do list was ~insane~ - LOL.

I had friends who'd drop by (one awesome woman from here actually showed up with a much appreciated load of fresh groceries not long after I got home from the hospital ;-), but I neither wanted - or needed - anyone to stay with me as a caregiver of any sort.

Of course, like everything else, this can vary from person to person. In retrospect, if anything, I was OVER prepared - but was so determined to do keep my independence, I left nothing to chance.

It is, however, certainly possible to manage alone ... even immediately after surgery.

Regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                          X