Why surgeons are not recommending Vbs/Vbt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flerc View Post
    I have send them her x rays and said them all what they needed to know and they said me she is candidat. Anyway is a major surgery and a surgery is a surgery.. I would prefer for her Spinecor for adults but she refused it.. both follows similar principles. But if she may need it I need to know about it all I can.
    If you ask the VBT people why she is a candidate for VBT then you can use this information to deduce why some people may not be candidates and this may be why some surgeons do not mention it?

Maybe your daughter knows more than you - may be she has read the Spinecor Story and realises that it does not work?
    Last edited by burdle; 02-02-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I really hope it never happens but if one of your daughter would need another surgery now, would you refuse Vbt?
      I have said numerous times that for my daughters lumbars I hope VBT is an option if they ever need that. The one daughter is not expected to need that and hopefully both will never need that.

For their thorax, I am not sure because those fusions look to be okay and the ROM probably isn't noticeably different there between fusion and VBT. More is known about the out years with fusion. There is no surgeon who can say VBT would have been one-stop shopping for surgery like fusion is thought to be for my one daughter. That would matter in the decision.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 02-02-2017, 11:24 AM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
        If you ask the VBT people why she is a candidate for VBT then you can use this information to deduce why some people may not be candidates and this may be why some surgeons do not mention it?
        No, I know that flexibility and some type of curve is a restriction, this has nothing to do with the fact (as it seems to be) that only fusion surgeons NEVER says nothing to any clients about Vbt regardles they may be candidats or not.

Originally posted by burdle View Post

Maybe your daughter knows more than you - may be she has read the Spinecor Story and realises that it does not work?

Which do you think is the Spinecor story?. Certainly she never reads anything about scoliosis treatments, she always hates when I talked about them, she is only interested in what her Gpr Physiatrist tell her, but when Spinecor arrived to my country I forced her to see it and she said she does not want to use it more than 3 hours per day.. it should have not surprise me, she never did (periodically) something else than Gpr few hors per month.
        Last edited by flerc; 02-02-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          I have said numerous times that for my daughters lumbars I hope VBT is an option if they ever need that. The one daughter is not expected to need that and hopefully both will never need that.

For their thorax, I am not sure because those fusions look to be okay and the ROM probably isn't noticeably different there between fusion and VBT. More is known about the out years with fusion. There is no surgeon who can say VBT would have been one-stop shopping for surgery like fusion is thought to be for my one daughter. That would matter in the decision.

So, today if you would know that she is a candidat for Vbt and you should to take a decision today, you would not refuse Vbt as you would refuse any non surgical treatment. So you agree that all only fusion surgeons should to talk about Vbt with everyone, except those they are sure (may them?) are not candidats.
          Last edited by flerc; 02-02-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Unless the surgeon thought VBT was one stop shopping for surgery like he said fusion was, I am not sure VBT can be justified for a T curve at this time for those patients because the ROM for that portion of the spine is not going to vary much between unfused versus fused versus tethered.

For lumbar I would absolutely choose VBT. That is a no-brainer.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

So you agree that at least for lumbar zone cases, all surgeons should to be notifing about Vbt. At least in my country I know they are not doing it, as I said you I personally know a mother whose daughter needs (according to surgeons) surgery in the lumbar zone. Her surgeon is the probably most recognised of my country and she also talked with many others and she never heard about Vbt until I told her about it. I have read about tons of posts of teens having fusion in the lumar zone and fusion surgeons nothing said about Vbt. Why they don't notify about Vbt?
              Last edited by flerc; 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

So you agree that at least for lumbar zone cases, all surgeons should to be notifing about Vbt. At least in my country I know they are not doing it, as I said you I personally know a mother whose daughter needs (according to surgeons) surgery in the lumbar zone. Her surgeon is the probably most recognised of my country and she also talked with many others and she never heard about Vbt until I told her about it. I have read about tons of posts of teens having fusion in the lumar zone and fusion surgeons nothing said about Vbt. Why they don't notify about Vbt?
                I think lumbar patients should know at this point about tethering. I don't think most thoracic patients need to know at this point.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I tried to join one of those FB groups and I was asked away to many questions in the pre-approval phase. They seem to be a tight-knit group who refuses new-comers. So, I think that they are keeping their knowledge inside of those ivory towers aka fb groups. They really build a wall around those groups. Not easy to get into. Sad!

Comment

Originally posted by richardis View Post
                    I tried to join one of those FB groups and I was asked away to many questions in the pre-approval phase. They seem to be a tight-knit group who refuses new-comers. So, I think that they are keeping their knowledge inside of those ivory towers aka fb groups. They really build a wall around those groups. Not easy to get into. Sad!
                    Which one? Was it a legitimate one or a chiro one?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      I think lumbar patients should know at this point about tethering.
                      I wonder how low they can tether?

L4-L5 and L5-S1 cannot be done in an XLIF (side) from what I have read. I am guessing the pelvis is in the way?

How would they anchor a tether in the lowest levels?

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by richardis View Post
                        Sure you are confused and entered to other group. They never hides nothing!
                        Last edited by flerc; 02-03-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          I think lumbar patients should know at this point about tethering. I don't think most thoracic patients need to know at this point.
                          They need to know but only fusion surgeons are not notifing to noone about Vbt (maybe there are some exception, who knows) and of course they should to notify to everyone regardless how much difference may be or not in the Rom of thoracic zone. Why they are not notifying about Vbt?
                          Last edited by flerc; 02-03-2017, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
                            This is the group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/ Sure you are confused and entered to other group.
                            I know. They blocked me.

Comment

I know. They blocked me.
                              That group is legitimate and probably the best source of first person accounts available. I am not a member but I can tell you that Maria is running that group and she is easily one of the most knowledgeable parents out there when it comes to non-fusion surgical treatments for kids.

What questions were you asked and why were you denied membership?

I don't know how they decide who to admit but if you had inadvertently said anything that even hinted of you being a chiro, that might have caused them to block you.

I hope to never need to join that group but if my kids have problems below their fusion that require further surgery, I will join.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I know. They blocked me.
                                Certainly I'm realizing I should have not to talk about that group here to everyone. It's not for curious people, or trying to prove their own theories, without the real interest in having Vbt surgery if what they expects is possible. Please delete the link to that group as I did.
                                I'm absolutely sure you gave them enough and fair reasons to blocks you.

Comment

Working...
                                X