Biggest Chicken on here - surgery date Nov 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons

Making a list of reasons for surgery is a great idea! I'm going to make my own list & place copies where I'll see them frequently. Thanks for sharing!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Jamie,
      Before my surgery, I constantly read the "First-time" section of the forum. One day, out of curiosity I peaked at the revision section and it scared me. I made a promise to myself to never read posts there again until I was over a year post-op. Keep in mind that the majority of people who have surgery are pleased and never post again as they move on with their busy lives. I think putting in writing your reasons for surgery is a great idea. I wrote up many of the positive quotes from David Wolpert's book and posted them in my bedroom to read during recovery incase I became discouraged with my slow progress.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
        I'm calm, I am trying to walk - the surgeon wants me to do physical therapy for conditioning, but I don't know how I'll be able to fit it into my schedule. so I'm trying to walk and I will add core strengthening too. i will post more tomorrow... thank you for all the support. Yes, I wanted the surgery in Oct. but the office called with Nov 4 so that's my date!
        Hi Scooter! It's great that you made a list to remind yourself why you're having surgery. I go through similar reminders myself as I continue through my recovery.

I was going to suggest, if you're able, to build up your arm strength, too. I did lots of push-ups in the months beforehand-- it helped so much to be able to push myself up when getting out of bed. You could also do squats-maybe practice at the kitchen counter. Strong quads also help you when getting in and out of bed.

Best of luck with your surgery!
        Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
        Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
        Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

UGH more news- well, I will be having another surgery in Aug. it's nothing compared to scoli, and it's elective but.... I just feel that after the scoli surgery I want to be competely done. no more procedures, no surgeries, just rest and recuperate. I need to get a cracked tooth fixed as well. It looks like I will be using some of the vacation time i have been saving.

I am trying to walk, that's about the extent of my exercise. I need to strengthen my arms, I need aerobic/ cardio exercise but I am exhausted by the time I get home from work. anyway- i have one month to exercise before this "less invasive" surgery on Aug 18, then I will probably have to rest for a few weeks. But I can continue walking , and I intend to. anyone have surgery before the scoli surgery? it's breast surgery ... I may have a drain, but it's NOT cancer Praise God, it's also not urgent surgery but I do not want to wait. thanks for sharing any tips- Jamie
          57 years old.
          thoracic curve 68 degrees
          lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
          Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
          Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
          THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Working...
          X