No announcement yet.

Physical Therapy Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Spring, you poor dear. I need to read this whole thread a little more closely, so I think I will print it out and take it on the train with me tonight. But I just want to chime in with a "hang in there." It's so easy to get discouraged, and this is probably the hardest thing any of us will ever do in our lives. Everyone here on the forum told me it would get better, and I have to say that back at 6 months I didn't quite believe them I was so discouraged and exhausted and in pain. I read here on the forum one person who mentioned being exhausted to the point of tears during her recovery. It's the exhaustion I think that makes the rest of it so difficult to bear. We all can probably endure pain, having scoliosis means being no stranger to pain. But the sheer exhaustion you experience recovering from surgery is like nothing I've every experienced. A few times I actually fell asleep while walking home from the subway, if that's even possible. Spring, hang in there. I am sending you and everyone else who is struggling all my positive vibes! I feel since I am doing a little better now, I even have some positive vibes to spare - so I believe everyone now, that it's possible to get better! Not all the way better yet, but definitely better. Heating pad. Sleep. Comfy clothes. Let people help you. Um, maybe good nutrition. That's not much of an arsenal to defend against a full scale slog by your entire body, but it's all we have! Also, my physical therapist saved my life. She formerly worked at NYU hospital with many scoliosis fusion patients, so she knows the drill. My previous PT kept trying to get me to do pelvic tilts! That's hilarious! I think she fundamentally misunderstood the nature of fusion. But once I found Svetlana, I felt like I had someone in my corner. I never would have made it without her. Honestly I mean that. If anyone is in NYC (Brooklyn) and needs a PT referral, she is amazing and I highly recommend her.

Good healing vibes to you all!
    Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
    Fused T10-Pelvis.
    "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Comment

hi baroness,

thank you so much for your kind message. i definitely appreciate the healing vibes! and i can certainly relate to the exhaustion. i've been napping more lately, but i figure if i'm tired, my body must need the extra sleep, so i'll just go with it for now.

everyone's encouragement has definitely helped put my head in a better place!

oh PS, in another thread you gave a quote about facing fear and said you were a sci-fi nerd. so i read it to my husband, another sci-fi nerd, to see what you were referencing and he said, "oh cool, she likes Dune." he was impressed.
      Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
      Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
      Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Comment

Working...
      X