No announcement yet.

So much has happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just have to add my 2 bits about the socks. I was bound and determined to get panty hose on once. Now THAT was a trip! I did it but could have killed myself in the process. That has become a goal to never be seen again!!!! Thank goodness for knee highs and thigh highs aren't too bad if you get a really good top on them. Kind of glad the trend has gone to forgetting them altogether! Keep up the good work and take it slow..
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Comment

I am fused to the sacrum and just had total hip surgery in July, so my range of motion was extremely limited. We had a wedding to go to three weeks ago and I was able to get panty hose on easily by using my sock aid. I was prepared to go without, but was surprised how easy it went.
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I wasn't able to get panty hose on without tearing them BEFORE my surgery! I generally wear tights with dresses, but I have not yet tested out my ability to put them on. However, I return to work on Nov. 4, so I'm very soon going to get a chance. I think my trusty sock tool should work fine to put them. My problem is getting socks OFF! However, as the days go by and I continue PT, I've gotten more flexible, and I can usually reach my foot behind me to pull a sock off, or use the big toe method.

My shortness of breath continues to plague me. I'm coming around to the opinion that it's the Gabapentin withdrawal. But every day I practice taking deep breaths and expanding my rib cage. So I hope that's helping. My physical therapist had me do an exercise where I sat on the big ball, and raised my arms up and down while deep breathing. I really think that one will help. I sure hope it's not fluid in the lungs, because I read on the forum about people who had to go back to the hospital for that, and the fix sounds very painful. At my 2nd post op visit I told Dr. Errico about it, and he seemed unconcerned. I trust him, so I'm going to try to be unconcerned also, even though I find it incredibly annoying.

Thank you, everyone, for all your great messages. They are very inspiring. Evelyn, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to sit on the floor with the kitten! I really aspire to sitting on the floor again someday! Just to do some gardening, or play with the cats or whatever. I can kneel on the floor, per Dr. Errico's advice, and even sit back on my heals, but it takes a lot out of me, so I try not to do it very often.

Golfnut and Leahdragonfly, it's also nice to know that the rib pain is normal. I guess it comes from them having moved my torso a couple inches to the left! And Susan, thank you for saying everything keeps getting easier. When days go by and I see no improvement, I start to get discouraged. I have to learn to practice the art of patience.

And don't get me started and that horrible Oxycontin! And the Gabapentin. I have already posted elsewhere about it so I will refrain. But I don't feel like my drug withdrawals have been more traumatic than the surgery itself. The Gabapentin did definitely help with the pain, and the needles in my feet have returned without it, but now that I'm off my vision has improved, so that's good. And people tell me I look less "drugged." So I guess that's good too!

Well, onward. PT again today. I think my therapist actually went home later and read up on my surgery, and called a friend of hers from college who had a scoliosis fusion surgery, so she is more understanding now about my limitations. No, my pelvis will never tilt again! And she eliminated the side stepping exercise where I was supposed to keep my torso straight up and down because she "didn't like how I looked while I was doing it." So I guess she has realized that I really am bolted into place down there.

Ok, ok. I will start taking my cane into the city when I go. Boo. I hate the cane. Talk about a necessary evil.

Thank you everyone for your inspiration! You all keep me going each and every day!
        Surgery June 18 by Dr. Errico at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases at age 41.
        Fused T10-Pelvis.
        "Ask me about my brand new lordosis!"

Comment

Working...
        X