Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange symptoms - does this sound right to anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have bad indigestion too

I have burping, trouble swallowing, throwing up mucus, intermittent heartburn. I am doing all the preop things, like getting different doctor opinions, even started doing Pilates to keep me more flexible.

Funny, I really didn't start having the indigestion problems until last summer. My curves are 80/70s/30s, so I can imagine it might be related.

I don't think that all these cases are just a coincidence. I think it has something to do with our organs being constricted because of the curves.

Kkong

Comment

I had all those problems.....horrible coughing all the time, bad acid problems ...in fact, I now have enough tums to last a lifetime since I have'nt touched them since the night before surgery! My biggest curve was lumbar--is that yours?? My problems got worse over time
      I have had no digestive issues since surgery...........it's been wonderful...Ly

ps. I did have the swallowing issues too & it scared the hell out of me & that's why I went to get checked by Boachie...
      Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM.

Comment

ive never had swallowing problems but i do get indegestion at night when i lay down.i also feel bloated alot
        Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Indigestion issues

I just wanted to add that I am still having indigestion issues. A lot of burping, nausea, throwing up, and things seem to get caught in my esophagus. In fact, it feels like there is an obstruction.

The only thing I can keep down is cottage cheese, and I am drinking Gatorade to help keep my electrolytes up. I am even throwing up water most of the time.

It must be related to my 70/80 curves. How can all of us have the same conditions and have them relieved by surgery? I just count the days until my surgery in January.

Kkong

Comment

Squished organs

Glad to see this thread has drawn more interest... and excited that so many of you had your abdominal pains disappear after back surgery - this may be the factor that tips the scales for me as far as deciding to have the surgery.
            For years, I've had bouts of indigestion (usually acid reflux in the middle of the night), horrible esophageal spasms triggered by eating dry foods that take about an hour to resolve, frequent bloating & gas that do not seem to be related to the types of food I ate. Now I'm wondering if the excruciating menstrual cramps I had every cycle were also somehow related - thankfully I'm past all that now
            Saw Dr. Berven @ UCSF in January & June this year; at first visit my prior x-rays were of limited value because they did not include the entire spine; Dr. Berven said to return in 6 months to have full spine x-rays done @ UCSF, which I did in June: 93 degrees kyphosis at T3 with some compensatory scoliosis at L2. The only back pain I have is in L region when I stand in one place for more than a couple of minutes. Dr. B. said that I should consider the surgery & that the curve likely could be reduced to 45 degrees of better, and would be 3 - 4 inches taller than I am now (was 5'7" @ age 18; now am 5'3 1/2" at age 61, with no bone density loss). I'll see Dr. B. again in June 2007.
            I'm leaning more (no pun intended) to having the surgery, but am getting negative feedback from my PCP and family & friends - of course they don't know what it feels like to have these problems.
            As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

swallowing...

Janet,KKong,
              I never seemed to complain about my severe scoliosis over the years since I really did'nt have horrible pain. The hump bothered me by last year..seemd to have gotten worse & I felt shorter...& the swallowing issues, I believe, started about a year ago and I seemed to be more aware of it as time went on....It completely freaked me out & I was worried there was something else wrong w/ me & that caused me to go & get my back checked... The surgeon said it probably was not related. I still thought it was....now, as I've said, its gone & I feel much better.. after surgery..Ly

Comment

Working...
              X