Facial Swelling post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
    Dr. Lenke has some patients (including me) wear "halos." I don't know exactly what it is because I was never awake with it, but it holds your head in such a way as to relieve pressure on your eyes. Maybe this helps some with the swelling and sores? I did not get any facial sores that I can remember.

I know what you mean about sometimes feeling your spouse got a physically inactive partner. But you (and he) may be pleased that surgery may actually enable you to be more active. Maybe you'll be able to sit through a movie, etc., after you have recovered.

Best wishes,
    Evelyn

I had a halo during my 15 hour surgery. It did prevent facial swelling. I hope that your doctor can figure out a way for you that you have minimal or no facial swelling.

I will pray for you.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I vaguely remember something about the halo thing with Dr. Lenke. 10 hours flat definitely caused swelling. I had told my husband previous to surgery to take a picture of me since I knew I would be swollen & wanted to see if I looked pretty funny. (When I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled I looked like a pumpkin.) After seeing me he decided not to take a picture. I don't think it lasted more than a day. This really was not a big deal at all. I had no idea until he told me much later. I still would have liked a picture!
      Ed, that table is crazy. I had no idea that's how it looked. Interesting! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'd have liked a picture too, Janet!

Those surgery tables look so flimsy!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          I wouldn’t worry about any swelling, eventually it goes down.

This is probably what you will be laying on.....notice all the foam,(tempurpedic) and of course fully adjustable. Now they need to improve the hospital beds.....that’s another subject.

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/pat...ent-care-kits/

http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/mod...l-surgery-top/

Ed
          I want surgery on the second table as the chick was able to keep her clothes on! Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
            OK but did anyone actually get skin breakdown on their face ? it's the pressure on the face that causes the rebound edema, but it can also cause skin breakdown- think bedsore or pressure ulcer. That's the same process that occurs as your face is pressed against the padded support during surgery .
            I've never heard of this, and have seen thousands of patients 6 weeks after surgery. The worst I've ever seen is tape burns, which I had myself, and which were clear within a few weeks.

Your face is not mushed up against the table. If it were, you probably wouldn't have swelling. Your face has to be cradled, like shown in the pictures that Ed found, to keep the spine stable and allow for the intubation tube to give the patient a continuous supply of oxygen.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think Jackson tables are used for most spine surgeries. Here's what the patients actually look like on the frame:

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image...007412-gr2.jpg
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                I think Jackson tables are used for most spine surgeries. Here's what the patients actually look like on the frame:

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image...007412-gr2.jpg
                Thanks, Linda! It's been bugging me what those tables were called... at least I got the "son" part right in my response. Oh well. Now my brain can rest on that topic. Ha ha. Back to the other things at hand.

Susan-- they drape you so it's not like everyone will be looking at you unclothed. Don't worry!
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Interesting, thanks Linda.

It's a wonder we don't freeze to death in those operating rooms. I had my gall bladder out last year and was in the OR for a good 5 minutes before I was put to sleep and I had a cotton blanket over me and I was freezing.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X