No announcement yet.

Surgery tomorrow 1/7/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your updates! Seems like Libby's doing really well. To be leaving the hospital so quickly after three surgeries, is amazing.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hello out there in scoliosis land

It's me, Libby. Before I forget, I just want to say thank you one and all for you best wishes and prayers. They helped me get through. I did not have any easy time and was ready to quit in the middle of the surgeries. Ther was one that I really wanted to say enough. Not sure if it was after the first or second surgery. My memory is in a black hole somewhere. Today, I am feeling more like myself, basically up in the chair all day and not in bed. Nurse is coming in to see me, will write again soon.

Thanks again,

Libby

Comment

It's good to hear from you. You sound great after going through three surgeries. I can't even imagine. Best of luck with a smooth recovery. It gets a little better each week.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Libby,

You sound like you're doing amazingly well--up in the chair all day!!! Congrats!!! You are on "the other side!" You did it!!!!!

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Stayed in the hair too long. Feet are ow swollen, so my plan is to spend some time in the chair and some in the bed. I have trouble trying to find a good comfortable spot sitting imbed. Thebraceissowarmthatk actually went back to bed this morningsoi could remove it and use my friend the in spirometer, or whatever you call it.

Comment

Wow, you sound like you're doing so well! I couldn't sit all day in a chair till I was well into my second month of recovery. I spent most of every day in bed, just getting up to walk around the house with the walker numerous times a day and even night, and then lying back down.

To stay comfortable in bed, I had to use a whole pile of feather pillows, which could be squished for support anywhere I needed support the most. For the first couple weeks at home after surgery, my sons propped up a padded board on my bed, which had two feather pillows covering it so it was smooth and soft. I kept that incline in my bed all the time because it was more restful than lying flat. I also kept another pillow under my thighs and knees when I used the incline, pretty much like an adjustable hospital bed.

I hope you can find some comfort. Please allow yourself plenty of rest. When I was feeling a bit better, I still spent many hours being still each day for the first 7 weeks. I told family and friends I was exhausted because I was busy building new bone cells every day.
              Perhaps you can ask a nurse if you can have your legs massaged while you are lying down. I found that very helpful for the first month. It kept me from aching as much because I was used to walking a lot.
              I'm thinking about you and keeping you in prayer.
              1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
              2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
              2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
              2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
              2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
              At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
              Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
              Post op x-ray

Comment

Libby, I am worried about you! How are you? I have surgery scheduled on March 19 and 22, so a 2 day surgery. I will remember your post about wanting to cancel surgery after the first day, knowing that more is to come. The second day for me will have all of the posterior repair done and will be the big day.

Someone on their forum said that at 2 weeks, she regretted having surgery, but when things started to improve, that she was pleased with the surgery. So, this may be your lowest point, and it sounds like things will improve with time.

Just remember that with us older ladies with degeneration, in many ways there really isn't an option not to have surgery. And the longer that you wait the "more crooked and more in pain" (a quote from Dr. Hu) you will be.

Sending good thoughts your way and healing vibes!
                Hugs, Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                X