Continued Tightness in Thoracic Area.....18 months post op : (

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
    I have very little flesh on my back as well. Could that be the issue? Or at least part of it? I've also thought about getting the hardware removed. From what I understand, once you are fused, removal of the hardware is fine. The curve won't come back. I have my two year follow up in June. I'm wondering if I should go/call sooner. I just don't want to be given meds for this. I can't live my life with meds just yet ^^

@Kennedy: I hadn't thought about the weather. I don't remember it being so much of an issue last winter but maybe the cold is making it worse. I am usually indoors and am never cold. On a recent trip to NYC we were outside in 40 degree weather walking all day and I was fine. Maybe because I was too busy to think about it.
    When I was 1 year post op I told my surgeon the pressure pain wasnt going away he said very casually don't worry if its still like that at 2 years I can remove the metalwork. At 2 years I told him its the same so I was sent for a bone scan. I asked him if it was possible to just remove the part in the middle of my back he said he's not done it before but its a possibility so we will see.

On the days its not so bad I could live with it and accept I can't be as busy as other people-but then I do have a busy day and I can't bear it. Its going to be a difficult decision because I know there's no guarantee that metalwork removal is the answer.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Hardware removal

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
      When I was 1 year post op I told my surgeon the pressure pain wasnt going away he said very casually don't worry if its still like that at 2 years I can remove the metalwork. At 2 years I told him its the same so I was sent for a bone scan. I asked him if it was possible to just remove the part in the middle of my back he said he's not done it before but its a possibility so we will see.

On the days its not so bad I could live with it and accept I can't be as busy as other people-but then I do have a busy day and I can't bear it. Its going to be a difficult decision because I know there's no guarantee that metalwork removal is the answer.
      And the fact that you will have to go through major surgery again : ( What is the recovery time for hardware removal? Is it as grueling as when you had the fusion surgery?
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I would be extremely cautious about hardware removal. I met Nanlo from the forum at an appointment with Dr. Lenke, and she told me her initial surgery, done as a teenager, was done without hardware. She got fusion, but because bones are a living thing, they continued to curve over the years. She had to have a revision many years later. (Nanlo, I hope I'm recalling this accurately!) Anyway, it scared me away from hardware removal. (With the possible exception of my iliac screw--but that's a different issue.)
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'm certainly not going to rush into anything, I'm trying to find as much about it as I can. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many people who have had this done so I can't really go by others experiences. I have spoken to the mother of a 15yr old who had her hardware removed after on going pain and pain is no longer an issue for her.

My dilemma is that I'm sure these 3/4 protruding big screws just to the right of my spine in the thoracic area give me a lot of discomfort and they are in the area where all my pain is-but just those alone can't be removed because of how they are situated-the whole lot has to come out. These screws are also on the apex of where my curve was and where all my correction was achieved.

Comment

Please don't rush into this, My surgeon talked with me about removing some screws, but we ended up fusing the levels above,because that was what was bothering me. I hope it will soon get better for you
            Jackie
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Hardware Removal

I definitely wouldn't consider removing the hardware unless there was an issue and that was the only way to correct it.

Besides, I don't think the insurance would pay for the surgery if the reason was only that the hardware was uncomfortable : (
              50 years old!!!!!
              Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

My hardware isn't just 'uncomfortable' at times its damn painful!
                My surgeon examined the protruding screws and said they were very protruding and agreed they are most likely causing my pain. It's just unfortunate it all has to come out in order to remove them-that's why it's a difficult decision for me to make.

I have no worries on cost-I'm in the UK so our wonderful NHS will pay )

Comment

You are fortunate to have such great health care!! Perhaps someday we will be there too : )

Your situation does indeed sound painful and hopefully your surgeon can get relief for you. Mine is more discomfort than pain and I don't think my insurance would cover any surgery for mere discomfort. Although at times, it does hurt. Brief, shooting pain, nothing constant.
                  50 years old!!!!!
                  Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

i think it would be awful to have insurance refuse to remove painful
                    hardware...
                    insurance tries to get away with a lot...
                    i just had an assistant at my pain doctor's office get approval
                    on a prescription...i've been taking the medication for about 2 years...
                    i had to change from one branch of Aetna to another...all of a sudden.
                    the new branch said they wont pay for same medication...
                    it would cost me $250 a month...one phone call and she had it
                    approved, when i was about to just start paying for it...
                    i think patients in this country have to stand up and let the
                    insurance companies know that we expect better care and treatment
                    from them...same insurance companies who are busy paying their CEO's, and other top executives, millions of dollars salary and bonuses a year...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      i think it would be awful to have insurance refuse to remove painful
                      hardware...
                      insurance tries to get away with a lot...
                      i just had an assistant at my pain doctor's office get approval
                      on a prescription...i've been taking the medication for about 2 years...
                      i had to change from one branch of Aetna to another...all of a sudden.
                      the new branch said they wont pay for same medication...
                      it would cost me $250 a month...one phone call and she had it
                      approved, when i was about to just start paying for it...
                      i think patients in this country have to stand up and let the
                      insurance companies know that we expect better care and treatment
                      from them...same insurance companies who are busy paying their CEO's, and other top executives, millions of dollars salary and bonuses a year...

jess
                      So true, Jess, and such a shame that we have to work so hard to get what we need.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Tightness just a sign of healing

Geez, who would have thought that healing would take so long. It's a complicated surgery, I get it, but 18+ months??

Went to see my surgeon last week just to make sure everything was okay. Had x-rays and he told me everything looks fantastic. At least I don't have to worry about protruding screws, broken rods, etc....

He also told me to continue with my workouts.

I'll continue to heal and try not to fret : ))
                        50 years old!!!!!
                        Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Working...
                        X