Physical preparation for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jennilee View Post
    i am a CNA and take care of an 86 yo woman who I love but isn't really ambulatory and is alot of lifting and pulling which sometimes is excruciating but
    But, you only have one chance at your recovery.

I know how strong certified nursing assistants can be especially in using the patient straps to lift a person up out of bed. I hope you are not doing this anymore, and of course there is always a hoyer lift. This would be the way to go in the future “if” you will need to do this.

Recovery takes months, and I’m worried about you rushing back to work too soon and lifting. Please convey to your boss exactly what spinal fusion entails.

We all want you to recover and have a successful fusion.....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, you must know some cna's lol we are strong but only because of how physical demanding the job can be. That's why I switched To the overnight shift So I'm not bending, lifting, and pulling Like I was on the first shift. All I really have to do now is put her on the bedpan a few times in reposition her Which can still be very physically demanding, especially because she's half asleep in the middle of the night and doesn't really help… I also raise her electric bed as high up as I can so I'm not leaning down over her. You're right, I need to go as slow as I have to go for my recovery. I am going to have a long fusion which will limit me to begin with and this family thinks that I will be coming back in March. I am the head CNA so they do depend on me for pretty much everything But I have been training another CNA to take my place in four weeks. My mother also said once I am wheeled into the OR, I will not be getting my cell back so they cannot call and harass me like they do on a daily basis LOL. I feel so guilty sometimes because my patient has three daughters who literally do nothing for her, I do her shopping, doctors appointments, laundry, housecleaning, you get the picture. But now I'm taking care of me and I m not rushing back because it will only slow my recovery, if not damage, my recovery. So I will take both of my surgeons' Advice and of course any advice that I'm blessed enough to receive from all if you here.
      38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Ok. Good. I say these things because we have seen patients who are back at work much sooner than they should be. If something were to go wrong lifting something early in your recovery, you could set yourself back for a long time. It just doesn’t make sense to go through everything that scoliosis surgery entails, and disregard all the specifics required to make it work. Its like cutting your finger, removing the bandage a week later, and then hitting it with a hammer....Its going to delay healing and hurt for a much longer time.

My father had ALS years ago so I know a little about what you guys do. I also know that bending and then lifting produces and incredible amount of force in the musculature around the spine. I didn’t lift more than a dinner plate for around 3 months, then stepped it up to a “few” pounds for another 3 months. I was hesitant about exerting forces in my recovery and walked on eggshells for 6 months. All I can say is “it worked” and it worked well.

After you get your x-rays, carry a copy of your “rack” to educate people. Most have no idea what this is all about, and will help you get out of “lifting duties”. All the people where I work get jumpy when I lift something now, I get a kick out of it. Text books will say that bone fusion takes 12 months, so you can get an idea of what it takes.....

I know that many have bills to pay and set dates to return to work. Going back to work on a part time basis at 3 months would sound realistic, but this re-entry back into the work force should be treated as a minimal kind of thing....It will take a full year to completely recover.....

You will also be very tired....that’s guaranteed, it happens to all of us. The fatigue takes a LONG time to get over. I had to take daily naps till I was 18 months along....

I agree with Linda about practicing squats. I didn’t have to since I’m an active skier, but it will come in handy. I used to RUN up and down staircases to train for skiing when I was younger. You can practice squats in the kitchen with a hand on the counter. Also do heel lifts. You don’t need any equipment for this, and can do this at work.

When you are done with your recovery, you will have to come out skiing. I’m in the red jacket.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEypv3Vz8o&feature=plcp

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed,

I was scared for you watching that skiing video. Wow, all I can say.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Ed,
            I was nervous as you were going through the woods. I have always wanted to try skiing but was always to scared I would break my back. I couldn't imagine doing it now at all!
            Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Ed,

You have been an inspiration to me ever since I started on the forum and found you. The camera person couldn't even keep up with you. WOW!

Libby

Comment

I like to throw that vid up to show that these things are possible after fusion.

If anyone here should have broken his back, it should have been me... Over the last 50 years on skis, I have had a few really hard equipment breaking crashes. Amazing what the spine can handle.

Libby, I will have to copy this and forward your message to my cameraman. (smiley face)

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Thanks for posting this question and thanks for all of the suggestions.
                  Congrats on quitting smoking!
                  My physical therapist recommended swimming and exercise bicycle for getting ready for surgery. I will add deep knee bends to my regime...thanks Linda for that suggestion. Makes a lot of sense.
                  Good luck and wishing you a good recovery.
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I would agree with making sure to strengthen your legs for all the squatting and kneeling (and getting back up) you will eventually do. Make sure you have thighs of steel!

I am still on bending/lifting restrictions, and the bane of my existence is getting things off the floor. I squat fine, and can get back up, but my knees don't always like it after numerous squats!

I have been a lap swimmer for years, so I upped my lap swimming regimen considerably before surgery. I went into surgery in excellent cardiovascular health, and I think this was helpful in recovery. The long hours of swimming also helped reduce my pre-op anxiety.
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

To protect your knees when doing deep knee bends, make sure when you go down that your knees do not go forward of your toes. Stick you butt out as if you were going to sit in a chair. Also for those of you who have trouble getting up from a squat, go down on one knee. It is much easier to get up and it is better for you knees. Thighs can also be strengthened simply doing leg lifts either lying down or sitting in a chair.
                      Strengthen your arms also as you will need to have strong arms to push yourself up as you log roll out of bed.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally...sending you PM

jess

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                          I would agree with making sure to strengthen your legs for all the squatting and kneeling (and getting back up) you will eventually do. Make sure you have thighs of steel!

I am still on bending/lifting restrictions, and the bane of my existence is getting things off the floor. I squat fine, and can get back up, but my knees don't always like it after numerous squats!

I have been a lap swimmer for years, so I upped my lap swimming regimen considerably before surgery. I went into surgery in excellent cardiovascular health, and I think this was helpful in recovery. The long hours of swimming also helped reduce my pre-op anxiety.
                          Wonder if a 66 year old can have "thighs of steel". I'm working on it.
                          Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Don't go back to work too soon

Hi Jennilee,

I just was reading back over your thread and I am very afraid for you about your return to work plans. I am a nurse in a cath lab, a physically demanding job but different than yours. My surgeon VERY reluctantly allowed me to go back to work at 3 months, but he did NOT allow any bending/lifting more than 10 lbs/twisting.

I was allowed to go back doing seated work only. Even at this I feel like I went back to work too soon. I was still in pain, and still had plenty of significant "aches and pains" that made my early days back at work less than pleasant. I definitely set myself back in recovery by returning to work when I did, however I felt I had no choice because I am the sole earner in our family, and I was worried what my employer would do with my job. I felt like I am tough and could suck it up, going back to work. I felt like I could be tough and force my recovery to happen faster. News flash...you can't will yourself to heal faster than your body needs.

I did start to feel better around 4.5 months, but still there is no way I could have or should have been doing CNA-style physical work. I was released to full duty at 6 months, but my physician implored me not to lift patients, and I was definitely hindered at work by my lack of ability to bend or stoop. I just don't see how you will be able to do CNA work at 2-3 months post-op. It is simply too soon.

I broke my rods at 15 months post-op. I don't think it's because I went back to work too soon necessarily, but I always have to wonder if it contributed. I am also embarrassed to say I didn't fully understand some of the immediate post-op activity restrictions and I know I did some bending from the waist that I now realize was ill-advised. So I have that on my conscience too. I underwent a very extensive, 8 hour lumbar revision to replace the broken rods, and I'm now about 10 months post-op from that. If you think missing a couple months of work is bad once, try doing this whole surgery and recovery twice. It really sucks, let me tell you.

So please, please do not go back to work too early. Like Ed said, you only have once to do this recovery right, and your back has to last you your whole life. You must give it enough time to heal.
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I went back to work in 7 weeks. Way too soon!It has left many complications---not a thing good came from it as I was still so sick from the 1st major surgery. It helped to lead to the next surgery. I though I was ready,but I was still very run down. If you private message me I will tell you why I had to go to work so soon!
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                              Osteotomy

Comment

This thread should be stickied. It has essential advice about preparation for surgery. I wish I had known some of this.

I agree with others about walking a lot. Having strong legs and abs is essential.

I severely injured my back in mid July of 2012. That is what finally led me to get the surgery done in October of 2012.
                                Because of the injury, I kept my whole middle section really tight all the time to keep my vertebrae from collapsing even further. I had to log roll to get in and out of bed. I kept as straight as possible at all times and didn't bend over or twist. It's not easy log-rolling off an MRI table. The technicians who did my MRI were a bit freaked and didn't know how I would get up off the table. I looked broken in half! Doing all these strengthening motions before surgery for about 2 1/2 months was a big benefit since I was already accustomed to log rolling and not bending or twisting.

The first month after surgery, I was in bed most of the time. I was still strong from before surgery so all that strengthening was a huge help. But then I didn't do enough toning so I lost a lot of strength half way through month two, which was just when I was getting up and moving more. If I could do it over, I would have tried to keep my thighs strengthened by doing leg stretches or careful movement even while in bed. That way I wouldn't have lost so much strength by the third month.

I'm now in my fifth month of recovery and I'm starting to feel as strong as I was before surgery. I don't walk great distances or very fast because my pelvic fixation needs a little more time to heal, but I tighten my abs, back and legs all the time. I'm still in pain but I'm no longer discouraged about the future. Recovery just takes time. Getting toned before surgery is already a huge part of your recovery!
                                Last edited by JuliaAnn; 02-28-2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling... sorry.
                                1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                                2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                                2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                                2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                                2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                                At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                                Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                                Post op x-ray

Comment

Working...
                                X