No announcement yet.

Appt with Dr Eberson today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gayle, thank you for the advice...and your right, it's too early to make a purchase like that without knowing how I will feel. As for the pillows, I've already started lol I have a long body pillow and tons of memory pillows and fluffy pillows. Tomorrow I'm going to go to CVS and stock up on the stool softeners, laxatives, etc. I'm terrified of getting backed up like that. My head is spinning from making so many prep lists but I Won't have any help postop really so I'm trying to prepare ahead of time as much as I can.
    38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Jennilee

Don’t thank me, thank Linda Racine, its her site! (smiley face)

My site would simply say..... Don’t plan at all, just go for it. LOL

(Hey, that was pretty funny....)

I have to admit that I don’t agree with using step stools in recovery. Its best to just stay off and don’t even think about using one. If fact, if you have one, throw it out! My mother in-laws step stool story with her titanium leg is not a story you want to hear. And all for a cob web. It’s a disaster. Falling is against the rules after spinal surgery. I was going to paint my house myself, but my brain overrode the decision and I hired a painter. A ladder fall is just not worth it.

I agree with Gayle, don’t buy a whole lot of stuff. After your release from the hospital, the insurance company will supply the walker, grabber, etc.

Are you doing this solo? Do you live alone?
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Wish2bstraight View Post
        Ed,

The doctor's office is trying to schedule surgery for the week of January 7, just waiting for a date and the insurance to say yes. He mentioned three different surgeries. One is anterior for spacers, second is removing a rib for fusion and the third the big one. there was so much information that I can't remember it all. I have my xrays and mris, so I am going to compare the notes and then send questions to the doctor. my curve is 80 degrees, mostly lumbar, starts around T5. I also have a fracture in L5. I remember him saying that he is going to fuse L5 to sacrum. As far as the bone growth, he mentioned some electrical stimulation device.

Libby, I sent you a PM
        Ed

My x-rays

Comment

ed,
          i live with my mom, stepdad and incredible 14 yo daughter. my mom and i dont get along at all and my stepdad is afraid of my mother so he just follows her lead. i dont want to turn my daughter into a nurse although thats going to be hard because shes such a caring, nurturing kid already and we are extremely close. my parents are wonderful grandparents, they just dont care too much for me. i grew up in the state's custody and to make a long story short, never had my dad and my mom just wasnt interested.even though my mom did come to all 3 appts with my surgeons, i think she thinks im faking my pain or exxagerating. i do know she feels guilty because the surgeon asked why wasnt i braced or treated when i was diagnosed at 10. i have told my mom that even if i was braced back then, there isnt any absolute proof that i would never have progressed or needed surgery. ahhhh...its just complicated. but for the most part, i will be on my own after being discharged from the hospital. my mother asked my surgeon if i can go to rehab after the hospital and told me yesterday that she isnt taking any time off of work (my stepdad is the boss so she could take plenty of time off)not even the day of surgery and when i asked her to at least stay the first night with me in the hospital, she said no, thats what the nurses are there for. i will be fine, im sure, just alittle nervous and thats why im trying to prepare as much as i can
          38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Glad to hear that you have a date for surgery.
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Good luck with your surgery
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Jennilee,
                You have received a lot of great advice from this great group of people who have been there and done that. I will be thinking of you.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennilee View Post
                  ed,
                  i live with my mom, stepdad and incredible 14 yo daughter. my mom and i dont get along at all and my stepdad is afraid of my mother so he just follows her lead. i dont want to turn my daughter into a nurse although thats going to be hard because shes such a caring, nurturing kid already and we are extremely close. my parents are wonderful grandparents, they just dont care too much for me. i grew up in the state's custody and to make a long story short, never had my dad and my mom just wasnt interested.even though my mom did come to all 3 appts with my surgeons, i think she thinks im faking my pain or exxagerating. i do know she feels guilty because the surgeon asked why wasnt i braced or treated when i was diagnosed at 10. i have told my mom that even if i was braced back then, there isnt any absolute proof that i would never have progressed or needed surgery. ahhhh...its just complicated. but for the most part, i will be on my own after being discharged from the hospital. my mother asked my surgeon if i can go to rehab after the hospital and told me yesterday that she isnt taking any time off of work (my stepdad is the boss so she could take plenty of time off)not even the day of surgery and when i asked her to at least stay the first night with me in the hospital, she said no, thats what the nurses are there for. i will be fine, im sure, just alittle nervous and thats why im trying to prepare as much as i can
                  I understand completely....There are times that we have to try to figure out why people think what they think, and do what they do, while suffering with our situation. I have also heard the “oh, its not that bad” comment before. It makes it harder when your own father has scoliosis and toughs it out.....I never got the sympathy even though I didn’t really want it...but then its different being male. I had no one, and knew no one with scoliosis years ago. I thought I was the only one. Those really were the dark ages years ago. My scoliosis was hidden....no-one could tell I had this huge “S” in my back, I was balanced quite well. The attitude was “He looks fine, and functions ok, its not that bad.” In the meanwhile, I have this overbearing ton of bricks on my shoulders and some day, I have to go in and do brutal deformity surgery. It’s a tough pill to swallow. I had to stay strong.

As a long term scoli with large curves, you know when its time. I was shot at the end, degeneration had run its course, and the pain was overbearing and was full time. When I was at the stage of capitulation, there was this inner feeling inside that drove me, the will to succeed was strong. Yes, I was extremely nervous, but I knew that it was really up to me. Nobody else would understand this or help much with my mindset. My surgeon wanted me ready mentally, this was going to be a rough one....it was more about the mind than anything else. Belief, faith, trust, and knowing that it was going to hurt. This is the important part....

I wouldn’t worry much, your going to be in good hands. They wont release you from the hospital unless you can function ok. I was walking, climbing stairs, eating, and had no problems in the bathroom. That 1st shower is heaven....Pain is controlled by the meds, and I can attest that they have some strong stuff. If they inject you, they can knock you out in 4 seconds, and there is NO pain. I was begging for shots all the time. Dilaudid, Morphine, and especially the Lortab.....Ye-ha. When you are out, you are out, there is no feeling at all.

I did my recovery alone....I do like to lick my wounds alone.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

ed,
                    wow...everything that you said pretty much sums it all up with me. my uncle has scoliosis and his curves were pretty major but he never sought treatment and went into the military and fought in saudi arabia so my family is wondering how bad can scoliosis really be. even though my mother and i are not what you would call close, this is why i wanted her to come to meet both surgeons and get alittle educationon the subject...hoping she would understand and maybe soften just alttle.
                    you are right, i will be in great hands. i am so confident in both of my surgeons and even though im new to posting here, i have been reading and learning from all of you for several months now and am so grateful to everyone here.
                    mentally, i am beyond ready. the pain has beaten me down for 3 years now and i know i deserve a better quality of life...my daughter deserves a mom who isnt always hurting or tired from hurting. physically, i am also ready. i have quit smoking which i never thought i could do! by the time i go into surgery, i will be smoke free for 11 weeks and both surgeons said they wanted me to be smoke free for 6-8 weeks. i have been taking a multi vitamin for 6 months, eating right and doing light cardio every night. im ready!!
                    i am scared of the narcotics as addiction runs in my family but my surgeons are aware of that and i have a therapist who i have been going to forever and she is also aware so i have a foundation ready just in case...
                    i dont feel alone anymore...even if i dont personally know all of you or talk to you all every day, i now know that there are people who have been there, done that like sally said and understand every single emotion that i am going through. and that is one of the reasons that i know i can do this...with my family or without them.
                    sally, thank you for your kind words, knowing that i am being thought of is a great feeling, and makes me stronger.
                    this is definitely my time to heal

Comment

Jennilee, congratulations on quitting smoking...
                      i quit years ago...hardest thing i ever did...
                      i didn't sleep for weeks, and when i did, i dreamed i was smoking!
                      i hope it wasn't as hard for you...i was a heavy smoker by the time
                      i stopped...

"family of origin" troubles can haunt people for years...i have my own...
                      many more people than one might suspect have such memories....
                      what can help is the family we create...whether blood, friends, whatever...
                      so perhaps people on forum are now part of your family of creation...
                      i am glad you can find help and comfort on this website...

hope your operation is smooth and recovery uneventful...
                      jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jess, hi! I'm so sorry quitting was so hard for you. I did it with chantix which I took for 1 month. It was a HUGE help although right before taking chantix, I was getting pretty sick of smoking but couldn't just quit on my own. I'm not taking it anymore and I feel pretty solid and praying every day to keep it up. Surgery is a huge motivator because both of my surgeons said they would NOT operate if I continued to smoke. Not to mention the fusion might not heal.. I couldn't agree with you more...family is not always blood. In my case that is the way it is and I'm ok with that. Thank you so much for your well wishes! I already have found comfort here and it's a great feeling knowing that its sincere and it's so appreciated!!

Comment

Jennilee,
                          Congratulations on your willpower to quit smoking. I'm sure it wasn't easy. Although we can't physcially be there for you, you know we are here for you and will be cheering you on every step of the way before and after your surgery.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Karen, you just brought tears to my eyes..Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much that means to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X