October25 surgery date and terrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surgery on Nov 27th with Dr Bridwell

I hope all turns out well. I am not concerned about the surgery as I am confident that after all the years of being crooked, having some rods show will be a minor inconvenience to all the pain we have suffered.

Gardenia
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

gardenia, the point is whether the patient feels the rods, and screws. not whether they are visible...if rods or screws cause pain after
      healing and fusion, they are sometimes removed, as the bones
      are fused and the hardware is not needed to maintain that anymore...

jess

Comment

feel the rod?

Jess, I am confused. Feeling the rods and the screws? I presume that the screws will be in the bones and we don't feel the bones. Now as to the rods, do you mean the rods protruding thus the skin would feel the bump?

I guess one have to go thru this to know.
        Gardenia
        Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
        pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
        Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
        T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

people have written about certain spots on spine where they seem
          to feel things more than in other places....for example....

"I had my single iliac screw removed during my revision surgery for broken rods. I had trouble with persistent pain over the left buttock where my iliac screw was, which is why I wanted it out. Dr Hart told me that was no problem to remove after one year post-op..."

if you type in "feel screws" or other such phrases, you can find posts
          that discuss this

jess

Comment

I'm also in the group where my expectations were worse than the actual pain. That pain management person has no right giving out that 'advice.'

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I may be talking nonsense, but here is a thought. I think there is pain you remember, and pain for which you have no recollection whatsoever. For example, immediate post-surgery pain. The Pain Dr. may be reporting on patients whom he observed to be in terrible pain, but if he did his job properly, and gave the patient the meds they needed, the patient had no recollection of that stage of the pain.

Your memory isn't great right after anesthesia, and this can be a blessing.

I base this on working for a short time as a Recovery Room Tech; plus people who have said to me, after minor surgery, "Yes, I came in and saw you, and we talked for about half an hour," and I say, "What? When???"

Keep your spirits up, and be trustful that the pain --or the remembrance if it--will be under control.

Aunt M.

Comment

Working...
              X