Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The big question - when do you know it is time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terri,
    Welcome to the forum. Although I second guessed myself about the decision to have surgery for 13 months while on Dr. Lenke's waiting list, fortunately I have never regretted it, even in the early months of recovery. The only pain I had before my surgery was when standing in one place. I tap danced, rode a bike, went to aerobic classes, and played a lot of golf. Yes, I worried constantly that I would possibly never be able to return to my activities that I loved. I know everyone is different and not all are as happy as I am, but i am back to doing absolutely everything I did before surgery. I make modifications in some exercise classes. I know there are some who had the best surgeons, worked to get in top physical shape, and yet had complications after surgery, so there is no guarantee. I was 60 when I had surgery and am happy I didn't wait any longer. Dr. Lenke said the same thing to me that your surgeons said, so I felt the time was right. If you look at the photobucket link in my signature I am the tap dancer on the right. This was 10 months after surgery. There is also a video clip of my first round of golf after surgery. Good luck!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

adding again

1. pain will get worse thru the years
      2. deal with the future when it comes do not worry about it now
      3. if you have good coverage now, things can chage in the future
      4. Most importantly, have a surgeon with lots and lots of experience because they have seen more oops in their surgery to immediately know the cause or know the fix. Honestly and pardon the phrase, is to have a surgeon and his team say Oh Shit.
      5. If you have a good surgeon, then believe he is the professional (builder, carpenter, plumber, technician) You know the phrase you pay for what you get.

Good luck to you.

I am on email all the time (ccmail4g@gmail.com). Currently, I am in Baja California Mexico so phone calls are costly.

Gardenia
      Gardenia
      Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
      pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
      Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
      T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you all again

It is helping me in more ways then you can imagine. I feel more certain that I should do it - looks like it might be February (doctor's office will confirm end of November). I could also do it end of April when the doctor returns from traveling, but the more time I have to think about this, the more I think it will drive me crazy. Since knowing I needed this surgery, I feel like my life has been on an anxiety hold. Just the thought of it being in February has me going "oh my God - and the anxiety starts."

Your feedback has really helped me in realizing that many of you were not in horrible pain before your surgeries and you have had good outcomes and the pain you now have is very manageable. It is very encouraging. I joined the Forum last year but the past few months didn't even want to read anything, because it just got me freaked when I heard of complications.

Bless you all.

Comment

Terrik,

Everything you say is pretty normal. It's a huge surgery to get your head around, and it takes guts to face it but few have managed to face it without fear. As I mentioned, anti-anxiety meds helped me, the first and only time in my life I've ever taken them and what a difference it made. Getting fit too, helps with the fear. I don't know how that works, but it does. By the time I was very fit, I was no longer feeling anxious, just impatient. I wanted to get the show on the road!

So there are things you can do to help with the anxiety and make the waiting time much more bearable. I suspect going into surgery with anticipation as opposed to terror, is probably a good thing!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
            Hi Terrik,

Only you know the right answer. I think there are a lot of us in a similar situation and I am one of them, we can share how we made that decision, but at the end of the day you have to decide if the surgery is the right answer for you. Having said that, the fraze that drew my attention in your post is "Yet, I know surgery is inevitable"...

I am 44, with 70/40 curves, have some pain, but nothing major. I made the decision to have the surgery even before I've seen any surgeon and then agonized over it and was going back and forth.

I love to travel and traveling is becoming more and more difficult for me. I work hard and looking forward to my vacation like nothing else. I like active vacations with lots of walking and sight seeing (we'd leave a hotel at 8-9 am and returt at about 8-9 pm). Two years ago we went to Italy and Greece, I could walk all I wanted with some back ache. One year ago we went to Spain, and I had quite a bit of pain, but pushed thru it. This summer we went to NY and I could not walk more than 1.5 - 2 miles (40-50 min) without being in a lot of pain. We could not see all I wanted because of my pain. And I thought: "This is not life. If I cannot enjoy my 2-3 weeks of vacation, what sort of life is it?". I just realized in NY that my quality of life is decreasing and what would happen in 5-10 years?

Yes, I can still do basic activitiies, but I know that it will become more difficult to do just like walking long distance is almost impossible for me already. Then I scheduled appointments with orthopedic surgeons. I went there knowing deep down I need the surgery, but like you, I thought what if I'd be worse than before, I am not in a lot of pain, maybe I just should do cruises and sit on a deck like an old lady?

I also read that people who are not in a lot pain pre-op might be not as happy with their outcome. But I think it is all about managing your expectations. My surgeon at UCSF said that of course, it easier when you operate on someone with 7-8 pain level and bring them down to 3 vs. someone who is going into this surgery with 3 pain level and expects to be pain free fast. Someone in a lot of pain will reach the point of pain reduction sooner than someone who didn't have a lot of pain to begin with. I fully understand that and prepared to be in more pain and discomfort for at least a year, but I believe that I'll be better off in a long run. Because, like you, I know that this surgery is inevitable...

Some people on this forum, who are single, had this surgery. I would think that it's much more difficult going into it without family support and I can't give any advice here... But perhaps, if money allows, you can hire a caregiver?

Best of luck with your decision. I know how difficult it is, but you'll know when and if it is the time.
            IRINA: Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am in FIJI now. I have the same question and I dread my visit w/ Dr. Hart in January as I am sure that my scoliosis has increased! Again, your comments make a lot of sense to me. Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by Terrik View Post
              It is helping me in more ways then you can imagine. I feel more certain that I should do it - looks like it might be February (doctor's office will confirm end of November). I could also do it end of April when the doctor returns from traveling, but the more time I have to think about this, the more I think it will drive me crazy. Since knowing I needed this surgery, I feel like my life has been on an anxiety hold. Just the thought of it being in February has me going "oh my God - and the anxiety starts."

Your feedback has really helped me in realizing that many of you were not in horrible pain before your surgeries and you have had good outcomes and the pain you now have is very manageable. It is very encouraging. I joined the Forum last year but the past few months didn't even want to read anything, because it just got me freaked when I heard of complications.

Bless you all.
              TERRIK: Thanks for asking the same question that I have. Best of luck! Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Other thoughts about when it is time to have surgery?

Anyone have anything to add here? Still undecided but I think that the answer is inevitable. I have a second opinion on Monday which may confirm what I feel, or just confuse me more.
                Susan

Comment

How was your second opinion Susan?

Hi Susan,

I have been thinking of you a lot the last few days and wondering how the 2nd opinion went with Dr Hu? I hope well, and that you got all your questions answered.

Take care,
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                  X