No announcement yet.

Is Log-Rolling Forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still log roll after 2 years. It has become second nature. Don't know if I could get up any other way. I don't even try.

Also, I take antibiotics before dental procedures. I had some minor surgery on my eyelid a couple of weeks ago and was told I needed to take the antibiotics before that procedure also. I take them 1 hour prior to the procedures. None afterward. It's my understanding this will be on-going....
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Probably the dumbest question ever asked on this blog

I know that this is a dumb question and I can hear everyone laughing now....but....I know what log rolling is, but I am having trouble visualizing how you do it. So, wouldn't you roll out of bed onto the floor? So you roll to the edge, but how do you get your feet on the floor and your body upright? I have been log rolling for many years due to back pain, but when I push with my arms to sit up [when I am on my side] and swing my legs over the side, I seem to bend A LOT at the waist. I bet Doreen has a video of how to do this! I'll see if I can find it.
      Until I find it, stop laughing and help me understand the action here. Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

log rolling

Doreen has a great blog on here with a video demonstrating log rolling.
        Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
        53*T 71*L
        Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
        Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

I have to log roll in order to get out of bed and I haven't had surgery. My bed has a headboard that I can grab on to (it's a four poster bed). I do the roll with the assistance of the headboard. I roll to the left since that's the side I sleep on. I grab the headboard with my right hand and roll my whole body onto my left side. Then with one fell swoop swing my legs to the floor and the torso automatically sits up with that motion. When I worked in the nursing homes, that's how I would help the people get into a sitting position. It works wonderfully and there is no motion in the back at all if done correctly. I have my better days when I can jump out of bed, but for the most part this is how I do it. I find it very difficult to get out of a bed that doesn't have a headboard (on bad pain days). I also have an adjustable bed without a headboard that I often lay in when I'm in pain. If I can't get out of that bed, I raise the head so that I just need to swing my legs over. Anyway, this is what works for me. =)
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
          X