Newbie-Surgery 9/28/12 with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Patty,

My insurance SHOULD cover it but if not, yes they say that the hospital will pick up the cost. So it's just a matter of getting pre-authorized without any issues And that rarely happens! I hope I'm lucky.

Hannah

Comment

Hannah,
      I have Blue Cross, and they covered everything, including BMP, at Barnes.

To answer your questions, weight: Lenke's nurse told me most patients lose 10 lbs by the first followup visit and regain it by the 6 month visit. I, however, didn't lose any weight and have gained about 8 lbs by 5 months. (Too much comfort food, I guess!)

I did have S/I joint problems pre-op, but was able to fix them with physical therapy. If you can get realigned correctly, they can hold the joint in place with an s/I belt you wear under your clothes. It made my pain vanish!

Returning to house work. I don't recommend it at all!! Lol. Seriously, I had help with laundry, heavy cleaning and grocery shopping for more than 3 months. I'm guessing it will be slightly easier for you because your fusion ends higher. But I would still line up help.

Good luck!
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
        Hannah,
        I have Blue Cross, and they covered everything, including BMP, at Barnes.

To answer your questions, weight: Lenke's nurse told me most patients lose 10 lbs by the first followup visit and regain it by the 6 month visit. I, however, didn't lose any weight and have gained about 8 lbs by 5 months. (Too much comfort food, I guess!)

I did have S/I joint problems pre-op, but was able to fix them with physical therapy. If you can get realigned correctly, they can hold the joint in place with an s/I belt you wear under your clothes. It made my pain vanish!

Returning to house work. I don't recommend it at all!! Lol. Seriously, I had help with laundry, heavy cleaning and grocery shopping for more than 3 months. I'm guessing it will be slightly easier for you because your fusion ends higher. But I would still line up help.

Good luck!
        Evelyn
        Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for the reply! Your information about BCBS is great news!

My mom plans to spend Mon-Fri. all day with me and help out around the house (aka cleaning, laundry, meals). I am just hoping that after a few weeks I am not heavily reliant on her, so she can go back to work (she's taking her PTO time to help out).

Did you do the PT for SI Joint prior to surgery or after? That plus the pain in my thoracic spine has really been bothering me enough to keep me from much exercise in the past few days. I just keep trucking along though! I need to maintain my upper body strength and core to hopefully aid in recovery!

If you work, how long did it take for you to go back to work? I have a job where I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, Monday-Friday. I have FMLA that will last 12 weeks, but am hoping to go back around week 9 or 10 for half days and work up to full time from there.

Thanks again for all the info!

Hannah

Comment

Hannah,
          I received a letter from my ins. company denying BMP and panicked. Number 1-I wanted anything that would help me fuse and Number 2-I didn't want to pay for it myself. Kelly told me that Dr. Lenke would see to it that Barnes absorbed the cost and that was the last I heard of it. No problem.

I was a member of our Y in Waterloo (I'm just across the river from you) before surgery. Fortunately, I wasn't in much pain and could take all of the classes to get in as good of shape as possible. I read that walking very far is painful for you. Have you tried the pool? I had always avoided it because of my crooked back, but was encouraged by an instructor to start swimming to get in shape. After surgery in the winter, it provided a great place to walk with the indoor track. Dr. Lenke let me get back in the water and walk forward, backward, sideways. It doesn't sound like much, but I looked forward to something besides just walking. The warm water felt wonderful on my back. I still go to water aerobics and use the track and I'm back in a couple of the easier exercise classes and tap dance.
          The pre-op tests bring the reality of it all front and center. It's frightening, but, you are that much closer to getting the surgery over with and moving on to the recovery stage. Best of luck.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm in september as well!

Hey Hannah,
            Just wanted to say hello. I am 29 and having my surgery the 18th of Sept... right around the corner... CRAZY stuff.
            I will have my husband post updates for how I am doing, so if I find anything that was dire, or that wasn't too bad i'll let you know. I'm younger as well so we may not need all the bells and whistles and I have my mom taking care of me... So i'll give you a play by play right before you have yours done... Well that's my plan. We'll see what the hubby has time to post Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
              Hey Hannah,
              Just wanted to say hello. I am 29 and having my surgery the 18th of Sept... right around the corner... CRAZY stuff.
              I will have my husband post updates for how I am doing, so if I find anything that was dire, or that wasn't too bad i'll let you know. I'm younger as well so we may not need all the bells and whistles and I have my mom taking care of me... So i'll give you a play by play right before you have yours done... Well that's my plan. We'll see what the hubby has time to post Good luck
              Hey there! Good to know that someone else is going in September as well! Who is your surgeon? Where are you located? What levels will you be fused at?

We'll definitely have to keep each other up-to-date in recovery, since we'll be going through much of the same. I think I may ask my dad to post for me, since my husband really doesn't like spending much time on the computer. So we will see!

Thanks for the message!

Hannah

Comment

Hannah,
                I did P/T pre-op and haven't done any post-op (though I hope to start soon). I needed the s/I help after baby #2. I am a stay-at-home mom right now, so I haven't "gone back" to work. BUT I've spent the past several weeks taking care of my kids by myself. Everyone is different, but for me I felt I could handle that about 3.5 months post-op.

Best,
                Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Pre-Op

Had my pre-op appointment today. Looks like my curve has stayed the same. It was great to have my husband come along and actually hear what was going to happen etc. Dr. Lenke is always great and makes sure to spend as much time as he needs to with the patient. No rushing!

We also met with Karen, one of Dr. Lenke's nurse who gave us a lot of information regarding my surgery. The times of the anesthesia test and central line put in etc.

My husband was very interested in the actual structural aspect as he kept asking questions about the screws and rods (typical man:-P).

I feel a lot better about everything but can't believe that I have to wait another 44 days (I'm sure it'll fly though).

I did have my height measured today and found out I'm actually 5'4 1/2". I was 5'5" and at one time years ago I was 5'6". So over the years I've lost about 1.5 inches.

http://s1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii515/hcs033185/

See the link for my x-ray photos. He plans to fuse t2-L3 with Smith-Peterson ostiotomies from T7-T12. He said that my spine is relatively flexible so I should get pretty good correction. Good news

That's all for now!

Hannah

Comment

Originally posted by HannahCP View Post
                    Hey there! Good to know that someone else is going in September as well! Who is your surgeon? Where are you located? What levels will you be fused at?

We'll definitely have to keep each other up-to-date in recovery, since we'll be going through much of the same. I think I may ask my dad to post for me, since my husband really doesn't like spending much time on the computer. So we will see!

Thanks for the message!

Hannah
                    Hi,
                    I'm in southern Cali. My Dr. is Bederman. In Irvine, and i'll be fused from T4 to L1... I'm almost at one month out... ahhhh!!! Excited, nervous, and ready to get it done already!

Comment

Soon!

The day is fast approaching and is scary!!! I got my letter from BCBS for admittance into the hospital and surgery and it kind of made it REAL....we are working hard to get our kitchen installed before the 28th and hopefully it happens...hard to get my house "ready" without cabinets:-) any advice for the last few weeks before surgery?

Comment

Hannah,
                        I sure remember the nervousness during the weeks before the surgery when it becomes "real" as you said. My surgery was also with Dr. Lenke. I couldn't be any more pleased with my results. With a more flexible spine than mine, you will definitely get a good correction. Best of luck with a smooth recovery. We'll be anxious to hear from you when you are "on the other side."
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Does anyone have any advice on useful tools I'll need? Will I really need a raised toilet seat? my surgeon uselly reccmoned a raised toilet seat. i think it depens on the surgeon.

Is your center of gravity really messed up enough to warrent a walker/cane? I used a walker because i have a gait problems
                          Will a treadmill help? i think it will help
                          Kara
                          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                          T4-L2
                          Before 50T
                          After 20T

Comment

Please keep me informed

Originally posted by HannahCP View Post
                            I've done a lot of research through the insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield) and BMP is covered in "high risk" spinal fusions. Dr. Lenke's nurse said mine would be considered that, so I am hoping all goes well, but you never know. It's just that I have read so many circumstances of insurance denial that I am terrified that it will happen. They said that they would contact me if something was denied or there were issues with insurance. But I plan to inquire next week at my appointment anyway.

I hope that you get everything resolved with your insurance company. It is crazy considering what great things BMP is doing for successful bone fusion in spinal surgeries...
                            Hanah,
                            If you do not mind, send me an email at ccmail4g@gmail.com after your consultation with Dr Lenke. I am planning on sending a letter to Dr Bridwell asking for specifics. If Lenke can get away with it then maybe Bridwell can as well. Our company had BCBS in the past and then changed back to United Health Care. Anxious about your visit.

Thanks and good luck.
                            Gardenia
                            Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                            pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                            Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                            T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Surgery in the Same Week

Hi, Hannah,

I was late to join the forum, but have wanted to tell you that we are having surgery in the same week! Mine is right around the corner - September 24! This Monday and I think yours is this Friday. We were scheduled for the same Pre-Op date of August 15, so I was looking for you without any luck. Don't know if we will meet in the hospital, but I am estimated to be there one week, so maybe.

So now I am wishing you an excellent surgery, speedy recovery, and all that you are hoping for.

All the best, Angie

Comment

Good luck for Monday Angie. Hope you get a great correction and have a smooth recovery! Have you got someone organised to let us know how you go?
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X