Hey,I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatima--
    I was on pain meds for more than a year but I'm so much older than you! I still have occasional bouts of leg or back pain every few months. Currently having problems from a near fall and am taking meds right now. Usually after a few weeeks the problems disappear as mysteriously as they started. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Question for Janet

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
      Fatima--

All that you describe I can relate to. I think it is true that the rib hump appears larger after the swelling goes down. I still am concerned about that but knowing what a huge curve and rotation I had, I guess that's just the way it is. Still better than if I hadn't had it done! I was also told that the spine was settling where I lost some correction at the highest levels. Prayers and positive thoughts for you as you go through your recovery. Best wishes. Janet
      Janet -

Quick question for you. How much correction did you lose and you said it was just at the highest levels so does that mean that you only lost correction in your thoracic curve ? Also you mentioned you were still concerned . Do you still feel like you are still losing correction or that your spine is continuing to rotate? The reason I ask is because I have thesame concern and keep looking at the mirror and feel like it is changing. Like you it is still better than if I had not had it done but hoping it does not continue to a point where it wouldn't make a difference if I had it done or not

Fatima, I had severe pain esp in my lumbar area well into my 6 month and questioned why I had the surgery. I however felt much better by the 7th month so give yourself a little bit more time. I don't think your lumbar was as bad as mine but then you had a pretty big thoracic curve. Hang in there. Sending warm thoughts and wishes your way.
      Diagnosed as a teenager
      Surgery 06/21/2011 Dr Boachie HSS
      Age 34 at time of surgery
      Pre Op : Thoracic 87; Lumbar 85
      Post Op: Thoracic 36; Lumbar 21
      Gained almost 2 inches in height !

Comment

And for how long You were able to sit..??
        I don't like to use medicines because I feel that I will become addict of them.So, I more prefer to use heating pillow to get relief.
        What about you people,were just depended on medicines??
        I am more stronger than scoliosis. And I will not allow it to control my life.

Comment

Fatimah--
          I wouldn't worry too much about the meds at this early point. You want to be pain free enough to be able to get in lots of walking.
          GOE--
          When I went a year ago April, I could tell see a little shift in the very top around T2 and T3. Dr. Lenke agreed that it had settled some. Also agreed that the rib hump had gotten a little worse. To me it seems like that is slowly continuing. I don't really see an alternative except the thorcoplasty which I don't think Lenke would even consider. I asked about it once in an e-mail to Kelly and she said No! I'm sure without the surgery I would have had an enormous rib hump by now. He had told me last year I didn't need to come back for 3 years. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Take what you need

Fatimah--
            I wouldn't worry too much about the meds at this early point. You want to be pain free enough to be able to get in lots of walking.
            GOE--
            When I went a year ago April, I could tell see a little shift in the very top around T2 and T3. Dr. Lenke agreed that it had settled some. Also agreed that the rib hump had gotten a little worse. To me it seems like that is slowly continuing. I don't really see an alternative except the thorcoplasty which I don't think Lenke would even consider. I asked about it once in an e-mail to Kelly and she said No! I'm sure without the surgery I would have had an enormous rib hump by now. He had told me last year I didn't need to come back for 3 years. Janet
            Fatimah , I agree with Janet. Please take the medoicatiom that you need. I cut of all meds at 8 weeks for thesame reason as you but like I mentioned I was in severe pain for atleast 6 months. I did manage to keep up the walking thought but I was always soooo miserable with the constant pain. Now that I look back that was unecessary hardship and pain that I inflicted on myself while goingthrough an already difficult recovery. At that point all I could think of was how much I hate meds, not wanting to get addicted and also the fact that I had read that some people were off meds in 2 months. Lesson learned is for this recovery don't compare yourself to others. If you are in pain take the meds. I sat quite a bit in my recovery cos after the first month it was just sooo boring always being in bed. I would say at 5 months I could probably sit for an hr or two but always ended up in a lot of pain from that so again probably not the best position. If you can recline while sitting your back might tolerate that better.

Thanks Janet for your response. Dr Boachie will not consider a thoracoplasty for me too. He says it is not worth it and only recommended for rib humps above 25 degrees. Also said esp in my case with all the post op pain I am still having I would not tolerate that trauma too well. Oh well thoughts and prayers that the shifting/settling stops for us all and we can one day stop having to peep into every mirror we walk past.
            Diagnosed as a teenager

Comment

Fatimah--
              GOE--
              Jannet:
              AM really feeling so sad that still your hump is increasing..
              Although,3 years are passed.Your Dr haven't told you the reason of that.Because according to my very little info the changing again of bone after surgery is just rarely happens in case of adolescents whose growth isn't stopped..??

Comment

Originally posted by GOE View Post
                Fatimah , I agree with Janet. Please take the medoicatiom that you need. I cut of all meds at 8 weeks for thesame reason as you but like I mentioned I was in severe pain for atleast 6 months. I did manage to keep up the walking thought but I was always soooo miserable with the constant pain. Now that I look back that was unecessary hardship and pain that I inflicted on myself while goingthrough an already difficult recovery. At that point all I could think of was how much I hate meds, not wanting to get addicted and also the fact that I had read that some people were off meds in 2 months. Lesson learned is for this recovery don't compare yourself to others. If you are in pain take the meds. I sat quite a bit in my recovery cos after the first month it was just sooo boring always being in bed. I would say at 5 months I could probably sit for an hr or two but always ended up in a lot of pain from that so again probably not the best position. If you can recline while sitting your back might tolerate that better.

Thanks Janet for your response. Dr Boachie will not consider a thoracoplasty for me too. He says it is not worth it and only recommended for rib humps above 25 degrees. Also said esp in my case with all the post op pain I am still having I would not tolerate that trauma too well. Oh well thoughts and prayers that the shifting/settling stops for us all and we can one day stop having to peep into every mirror we walk past.
                The whole you have told about yourself is the same with me..I also feel lot of pain after sitting for hour r 2..
                I will really follow ur's and Jannet guideline.
                Raising 1 more question
                you all are so experienced and can tell me better that upto how much walk i should do..??

Comment

Fatima

You had a huge correction which will take some time to recover from. Sitting for long periods of time is difficult for most of us, try to get up and do a little walking from time to time. Many short walks are better than one long walk. Pushing past the pain seems to be something we have to do, the pain should subside in time. Keep moving, its important.

We have to consider ourselves fortunate that the technology to do something like this is available. I am thankful every day.

Hang in there, improvement will happen

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Walking

Originally posted by fatimah View Post
                    The whole you have told about yourself is the same with me..I also feel lot of pain after sitting for hour r 2..
                    I will really follow ur's and Jannet guideline.
                    Raising 1 more question
                    you all are so experienced and can tell me better that upto how much walk i should do..??

Fatimah -

At 5-6 months I was walking about 5miles about 4-5 times a week. So I guess every other day. That being said by the time I went for my 6 month appt I was in soooo much pain and could not even go back to work full time as planned. So after that visit, I cut down my walking to about 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week and that felt much better and manageable. I was still in pain but it wasn't as bad. I would say listen to your body. If you do two miles and it is too much then cut back. If you do 5 miles and you are not in too much pain then continue with that. I have read on the forum people walking anywhere from 1mile to even much more but I think the key is not to use anyone' syardstick but listen to your body and adjust to firt you needs.

walking is good for you but the goal is not to make you sooo misreable that you can't function. Hope it makes sense.

Gentle hugs. It is a long road cos your recovery seems soooo much like mine and I know I was very depressed at the 6 month mark. I hadn't expected that given my age but you live and learn. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you fatimah ?? Sending healing thoughts your way.
                    Diagnosed as a teenager

Comment

Am feeling so worry because i don't use to walk so much.I just use to take some movements
                      But i will start proper walk from today...
                      And thanks alot for your lot of help to me.
                      I am of 16 years and have posted my thread in adult forum because you people are so experienced and can better help me...
                      Regards..
                      Fatimah
                      Last edited by fatimah; 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X