No announcement yet.

Was your surgery..2 part, or just one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, is it a reasonable assumption to make that residents/fellows would have less involvement in two-step surgery vs. one-step because each part of two-step surgery would be shorter and your surgeon would be able to handle the majority of it? If this is true, then, if given a choice, I would probably choose two-step.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckett View Post
      Hi Kootenaygal, I was wondering if you ever had your surgery? I just had 2 part surgery this past May 2012. Originally the surgeon thought he could do it all at one time but then he decided against that. A good thing too because the first surgery took 5 hours but the second surgery was 11 hours. He stopped the first surgery short because he said I lost more blood than he anticipated but he was able to set everything up and get all the screws in place.

My surgery produced good results reducing my thoracic curve from 72 degrees to 25 degrees. I don't know the current degrees of my lumbar curve, previously it was about 45 degrees. I'm about 3 inches taller and stand much straighter than I ever have. I'm looking forward to the day when everything in my body settles down and I can resume my normal activities. Right now I'm still dependent on my adult daughter helping me out as I'm only 4 weeks post-op but all things considered I'm doing quite well.

Hope to hear back from you to learn about your progress.
      I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well, in your recovery! My curve is mainly in my thoracic. My spine is collapsing, also have numerous compression fractures. My ribs are sitting on my hips, especially on my one side. In fact, I had to turn suddenly ( went completely against my curve, in that move)...my rib DID go under the crest of my hip. I have never felt so much pain....ambulance >laughing gas > ER.
      I do know that my surgery will be posterior, and done in one day. I just got a message, that I have a date for another MRI. I hope my surgery will be shortly there after. I'm in so much pain, especially in the morning...it usually takes me a hour or so, to get going. ( pain meds, hot pack, & my coffee)

How old are you? I'm 61..was concerned about my age, but in my consult with the surgeon. He said, I had nothing to be concerned about. I'm so looking forward to putting this surgery me. I'll be watching for your posts, to see how you are progressing. I'll be keeping everyone "in the loop" re; my surgery.
      Kootenaygal.

Comment

Hi kootenayagal,

I am glad to hear that your surgery will be all posterior and hope you'll get a date soon. I also have ribs on hips discomfort. I can't say it hurts a lot, but it is very uncomfortable. How did your pain progress? Did it start like discomfort and then gradually increased to severe pain from rib cage pushing on pelvic bone? Do you remember when you first noticed that pain?

Comment

My first surgery when I was 15 was just one surgery. But the rod broke and a screw came loose! Then by 30 I was bedridden and my lower back was being crushed by all the weight. SO I just had 2 surgeries in January. I think its good when they do two because it means the Doctor is solidifying all his work so it fuses better. Its really not a big deal. He took out 2 ribs and made 4 incisions. Two on my side one on my back and one in the front. I had the surgeries a week apart. I feel for you. I don't know how you handle that pain. I am very excited for you that you finally get to feel a little better. I wish you the best

Comment

Thanks for all of your postings! I was just phoned, saying that I was booked for another MRI, in August in Edmonton, at the hospital where the surgery will be done. I asked if my surgery would be done soon thereafter. The answer was NO, still on the wait list. It's hard to believe that this surgery is classified as Elective. I'm in more pain,& feeling worse as the days pass by...but still elective.

Thanks again for your help. Kootenaygal

Comment

Koot

That sounds incredibly painful having your rib getting caught under your pelvis....wow!

I had a 2 part A/P with 2 scoli surgeons and a vascular surgeon for the anterior. My vascular surgeon basically dug the hole from the front. These guys are just hardcore. 3 superheroes, Superman, Spiderman, and Batman. I don’t know if Robin was there... (smiley face)

At first I was going to be done in a posterior only, but the anterior decision came later. I didn’t question this method, and left the call completely up to my surgeon. It was his call.

Sounds great if you can get done in a posterior only....

Hope you can get a surgery date soon.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                So, is it a reasonable assumption to make that residents/fellows would have less involvement in two-step surgery vs. one-step because each part of two-step surgery would be shorter and your surgeon would be able to handle the majority of it? If this is true, then, if given a choice, I would probably choose two-step.
                Hi Irina,

I don't think this assumption is necessarily correct. Remember, the fellows and residents are there to learn (if your hospital is a teaching hospital--if not, no worries). They are going to be there on the big surgeries and the smaller surgeries. I think if you are concerned about this I would ask your surgeon specifically about his role vs that of the fellows/residents. I personally would never submit to two separate surgeries merely for the hope that the fellow/resident wouldn't be operating on you. I just don't think it quite works that way.

I don't think a good surgeon whose reputation is on the line would allow a resident/fellow to do a portion of the operation that they were not ready to do without supervision. There has to be common sense involved, and the best outcome for the patient should always be the foremost concern. Please consider discussing your concerns honestly with your surgeon. This surgery is scary enough going in to, it would be 100 times more scary if you are concerned about whether or not you will get the best surgical care!

Good luck,
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thank you, Gayle. I'll definitely discuss it with the surgeons.

Comment

made me smile

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    My surgery was just one part, 9 hrs. Good luck to you, I hope you don't have too long a wait. The wait is the worst part--even worse than the recovery.
                    I hope you are so right! I am in the waiting mode right now. Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke in October 2012. I can't believe I am less then 4 months out.

Heidi
                    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                    53*T 71*L
                    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Irina,
                      Also, David Wolpert's book says two-stage surgeries have a higher complication rate than all posterior. Plus, I believe all posterior is generally thought to be easier to recover from.

I asked Dr. Lenke point blank if he would be doing all the of the operating on me. He said he would do everything but the closing--stitching the incision, etc. I was fine with that. Plus, the resident who assisted him left shortly after to start his own practice, so I figured he could handle stitching me.

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                        Irina,
                        Also, David Wolpert's book says two-stage surgeries have a higher complication rate than all posterior. Plus, I believe all posterior is generally thought to be easier to recover from.

I asked Dr. Lenke point blank if he would be doing all the of the operating on me. He said he would do everything but the closing--stitching the incision, etc. I was fine with that. Plus, the resident who assisted him left shortly after to start his own practice, so I figured he could handle stitching me.

Best,
                        Evelyn
                        Thank you, thank you Evelyn so much! You, guys, are amazing! I am going to buy this book right away. Not only I am only learning so much here, but getting a courage because I don't think I have a choice. May be the fact Dr. Lenke is doing most of the surgeries himself with minimal resident's involvement is one of the reasons for his high success rate?

Irina.

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                          There is no logic in your assumption from what I can gather. Everyone that operates on you is qualified or they wouldn't be there.Your surgeon would not turn over any responsibility unless he/she was 100% sure of that person's skill.....Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                            There is no logic in your assumption from what I can gather. Everyone that operates on you is qualified or they wouldn't be there.Your surgeon would not turn over any responsibility unless he/she was 100% sure of that person's skill.....Susan
                            Susan, there is no need to put me down.

Comment

Hi Irina,
                              I'm sure Susan didn't mean that to sound like it did. She is generally very supportive.

Anyway, definitely get David Wolpert's book. You can order it through this website or amazon.com, I think. It's called: Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive Patient's Reference. It's a must-read, in my opinion.

Best,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X