Burning in Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    It was just a thought. I don't know how they correct that.
    This whole thing is just a freaking nuisance! I wanna get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXNationalist View Post
      This whole thing is just a freaking nuisance! I wanna get to the bottom of it.
      Yes of course. Your surgeon has to have a plan to figure it out that entails ruling out infection, sagittal imbalance, gremlins, or anything else it might be. You are almost at a year and things should be progressively getting better not holding or getting worse. I think that alone suggests something is amiss but what do I know?

The Titanium One may come on with some ideas.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey Mr. Secessionist, check out post #5 on this thread for ideas about pain relief from the Titanium One...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...pinions-please!
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Josh

It’s the “Titanium one” here....Good thing I didn’t pick Rod Stewart as a user name....lol

I see that you mention having this burning sensation “before” surgery....now it sounds like a lordosis issue that is separate from your kyphosis surgery....since its low, this wasn’t addressed even though kypho patients DO have sagittal curve issues. (kyphosis and lordosis in 2 places, small of back and neck) Usually the complaints are from the neck.

Surgeons have to build or re-shape these curves while on the operating table. Fusing all levels is not usually an option at your age, and many un-fused scoliosis curves do “balance” themselves after surgery. I don’t know if this is the same in kyphosis. This is a good question.

Scoliosis and Kyphosis are similar, but 2 totally different animals.

Your going to have to get your surgeon thinking about this...believe me, he will think about it. In the mean time, try to hang in there.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            Josh

It’s the “Titanium one” here....Good thing I didn’t pick Rod Stewart as a user name....lol

I see that you mention having this burning sensation “before” surgery....now it sounds like a lordosis issue that is separate from your kyphosis surgery....since its low, this wasn’t addressed even though kypho patients DO have sagittal curve issues. (kyphosis and lordosis in 2 places, small of back and neck) Usually the complaints are from the neck.

Surgeons have to build or re-shape these curves while on the operating table. Fusing all levels is not usually an option at your age, and many un-fused scoliosis curves do “balance” themselves after surgery. I don’t know if this is the same in kyphosis. This is a good question.

Scoliosis and Kyphosis are similar, but 2 totally different animals.

Your going to have to get your surgeon thinking about this...believe me, he will think about it. In the mean time, try to hang in there.

Ed
            This is all great input. I think I remember them telling me I had a lordosis before surgery. In fact, they did. That it was caused by the spine compensating for the outward curve. So if that's the case, then I pray to God thay it does fix itself. I've got a lot of life ahead of me and having to go through another fusion would terrify me.

Comment

I talked to a few of the docs that I work with, and they agreed that it's nothing to worry about at this point. It is most likely transitory, and if it's not, someone can hopefully get to the bottom of it eventually. At this point, a wide range of symptoms would be considered normal, and should essentially be ignored unless it starts worsening.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                I talked to a few of the docs that I work with, and they agreed that it's nothing to worry about at this point. It is most likely transitory, and if it's not, someone can hopefully get to the bottom of it eventually. At this point, a wide range of symptoms would be considered normal, and should essentially be ignored unless it starts worsening.

--Linda
                Thanks a ton for letting me know! I feel a lot better about it. In the meantime, I'll just keep working out and icing it.

Comment

It totally amazes me the amount of surgery that people with most scoliosis patients go through and then it must really be a long time for most of their bodies to adjust. I haven't had scoliosis surgery, but have cared professionally for many people who have had massive surgeries. The body doesn't always take to being twisted one way and the twisted another without needing some settling time. We are all so individual too. I found some surgical patients had virtually little pain, and the person next to him/her had the same procedure and has such a different, more painful experience. Enough.....give your body time to heal...use cold and heat....gentle massage....relaxation.....very gentle stretching if appropriate. I hope that time heals. This forum is great because we hear such a variety of experiences!
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
                  X