No announcement yet.

Now my husband's inviting me on a trip to Maui in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 1in memory foam about 12 inches wide and 18 inch length that I covered and take with me every where to sit against. I also have one about 12 by 30 that I take if we're going places I will need to sit on the ground at and as a bonus if I need to lay down my whole back and head fits on it.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by mdtaffet View Post
      Though things may change with my altered wardrobe (no jeans or other zip-up pants for me now), in general I barely have enough room left over in a suitcase to even be able to close it without a lot of elbow grease. I always put my pillow in my suitcase; I would never rely on the pillows available in hotel rooms. And my pillow takes up quite a bit of room all by itself....
      Buy a new pillow as soon as you get there and pack elastic waisted shorts and tops or buy a MuMu when you get there. You certainly won't need jeans in Hawaii.
      I think we stopped briefly in Chicago and then changed planes in San Francisco. I doubt there are any direct flights even from New York, but I could be wrong. By the way, take an aspirin before you get on a plane to also help prevent blood clots. I have never been uncomfortable in an airplane seat even when I couldn't sit on a sofa for long. Go figure.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I cannot fly without a pillow behind my lower back....and carry a very soft down pillow in a carry on for every flight.

I could go to Hawaii with no clothes. It just seems that on every trip, I go clothes shopping right away....You have to have new Hawaiian gear right? Shorts, t-shirt, and sandals will cover 99% of what you will need out there.

One of the things I used to do was ship my dive gear out UPS. I would track and insure this package and save all the heartburn of security issues that divers go through with extensive gear. Computers and hoses make them jumpy....

UPS charges have risen quite a bit in the last few years so if you do this method, keep it light.

Just going to Hawaii for the mental break and relaxation is totally worth it. I have flown out there standing up in the back of the plane many times in the past.....On many of my trips I was in MAJOR pain out there before my surgeries, and on the Big Island which doesn’t have much of a hospital at all....

There is a pediatric scoli surgeon in Honolulu....

On the way out on the plane they usually have everyone guess the exact halfway point of the flight. If you calculate correctly, they give you a bag of Macadamia nuts......I won once and was expecting a little more than just nuts.....Its ok, your going to Hawaii, not Seacaucus, N.J. (smiley face)
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
          Buy a new pillow as soon as you get there
          If I could find a WAL-PIL-O in a store, then I would consider doing that, but they have to be special-ordered. They do sell a travel-size WAL-PIL-O, but I doubt that a travel-size pillow will help for somebody like me who goes back and forth between side sleeping and back sleeping multiple times every night.

-- Thanks,
          Mary
          -- Mary D. Taffet
          Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
          Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            Shorts, t-shirt, and sandals will cover 99% of what you will need out there.

[snip]
            On the way out on the plane they usually have everyone guess the exact halfway point of the flight. If you calculate correctly, they give you a bag of Macadamia nuts
            I don't wear sandals; not enough support for my very bad feet (heel spurs, heel bursitis, plantar fasciitis if not supportive enough, hammertoes, Morton's neuroma, metatarsalgia, etc., etc.). I only wear New Balance men's 8 EEEE, usually the MR1012MC, as long as I have somebody who can tie my shoes for me. Shoes are another item that takes up a lot of room for me. If I have to have a 2nd pair of shoes, that's another very bulky item that has to go in my suitcase.

But my podiatrist does work with a shoe company that makes special sandals with built-in custom orthotics; unfortunately I can't remember the name. That might be an option to consider.

I don't eat nuts, so I don't think there would be anything in it for me to guess the halfway point.

-- Thanks,
            Mary
            -- Mary D. Taffet
            Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
            Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Go. Find out how long the airline trip is, but I bet it isn't as long as you think. Can you sit OK? Maybe bring a soft backrest and soft seat....only if you think that you will need them. Bring your handicapped car badge [if you have one] and if you need more time, tell the airline and they will let you on the airplane early.
              You will no doubt stay in a nice hotel where the medical conf is [i assumed medical], so they will have a nice pool, whirl pool, a gym for exercise, and ocean maybe to dip your toes in, and optional activities. Maui is awesome!
              You will love it!!!!!

Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Back from three weeks of business trips.

I am eight months post surgery and I'd say go for it. I bring a 2 inch thick memory foam pillow with me on the plane. It makes the seats bearable.

Someday I'll make it to Hawaii.

Have fun!
                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                Before and after xrays:
                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                X