Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-op question 1: How important is Aquatic Therapy as an integral part of PT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mary...

Little victories... right?

I purchased THIS gadget, but would definitely not recommend it. I ended up just living with horribly dry and itchy legs.

As for picking up the hair, there are some grabbers that would probably work OK. I have 2 different grabbers. Some work better for different tasks.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am totally fused from C2 to my pelvis. I am about 9 months from my big surgery and I am finally able to put cream on my lower legs. Before that I was using a clean bath sponge , on a stick to apply cream.

Congratulations on your latest victory
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I am 4 weeks post-op, T4-sacrum. I can put my right ankle on my left knee and thereby put on lotion, socks, shave, or whatever. However, I haven't been doing this because I am afraid it is a big "no-no," like no BLTS. Thoughts? It would make life easier if I could just do it.
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Also, the two remaining mysteries to me are the laundry and the bottom drawer of the dishwasher. I think I can coerce my children into helping with the dishwasher, or else just wash that stuff by hand. But the laundry? I can't really even wrap my head around that yet.
          age 48
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            I am 4 weeks post-op, T4-sacrum. I can put my right ankle on my left knee and thereby put on lotion, socks, shave, or whatever. However, I haven't been doing this because I am afraid it is a big "no-no," like no BLTS. Thoughts? It would make life easier if I could just do it.
            I would definitely not do that, as I think it puts a LOT of strain on the L5-S1 joint (depending on how loose your hips are). If you don't feel any pulling, it might be OK, but I personally wouldn't do it until 3-6 months postop.

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
            Also, the two remaining mysteries to me are the laundry and the bottom drawer of the dishwasher. I think I can coerce my children into helping with the dishwasher, or else just wash that stuff by hand. But the laundry? I can't really even wrap my head around that yet.
            I did laundry within maybe 3 weeks of surgery. I just used my grabber for everything. I also used my grabber to load and unload the top rack of my dishwasher. I discovered that grabbers don't do a great job on knives, but I got around that by grabbing the entire flatware basket, loading it from my countertop.

I think it takes some time to get creative in terms of solving all the problems of every day living, but I definitely came away with the belief that necessity is definitely the mother of invention.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I would definitely not do that, as I think it puts a LOT of strain on the L5-S1 joint (depending on how loose your hips are). If you don't feel any pulling, it might be OK, but I personally wouldn't do it until 3-6 months postop.
              That's what I had been doing to get my right footie sock on (though not in the beginning), but I do feel some discomfort doing that. I didn't realize that what I was feeling could be stress on L5-S1 (definitely one of my problem spots before surgery). Now that I've learned from you guys that I can use the hospital-supplied sock puller to put on my footie socks, I should just switch to using it for both of those footie socks.
              -- Mary D. Taffet
              Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
              Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Okay, thanks Linda. I will try to behave myself. Sometimes it's easy to forget, surprisingly.

One more question, is it bad to just squat say 3-4 inches with your hips/knees to get something that's just a little out of reach?
                age 48

Comment

I started aqua therapy at 2 weeks post op. It really helped not waiting so long to get moving again. A lot of people on the forum thought it was too soon, including me. But now I see the results and I am glad I began aqua therapy early on.
                  Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
                  Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
                  27 years old
                  http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
                  Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
                  T2-L2 or L3
                  Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Working...
                  X