Post Op Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
    Well, I leave for surgery in about a week, and I have been shopping like mad! I may live to regret this, but my husband and I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a split king adjustable memory foam bed. That means we can each adjust our own sides independently. As others have said, I'm pretty sure it will be flat in the first few months, but I am hoping to take advantage of the raised head eventually. I have reflux, so you are supposed to sleep with a raised head. Also, it was SOOOOOOOO comfortable in the store. (I do realize that will all change in about 10 days for me!)

I did all the online research, and compared Sleep Number and memory foam, and they both come out very well for back pain relief. It was time for us to get a new bed anyway, or I would have just bought a topper. But, my hubby liked the feel of the foam better, and it gets rave reviews on this site, as well. So, we took the plunge. I did not buy Tempurpedic, though, as it is $$$$. We got an iComfort--a cheaper version of Tempurpedic. I saw that you can get this set-up at Sams Club for a (relatively) reasonable price. Let me just add that all the Sleep Number and Tempurpedic beds are expensive, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am excited about the split-king part, because it means I will still be near my hubby, but will actually be on my own bed. Hence, I won't feel him move, and hopefully, he won't kick me or anything. Also hopefully I won't wake him up when I get up at night. Only bummer is it's not being delivered until Saturday. So I will only get to enjoy it for two nights before I leave for St. Louis.

For the chair, I already had a firmer recliner like Linda recommended. I do not think I will be able to recline it myself, though, as you have to push to recline. Oops! Oh well, looks like I'm going to be owing my mom even more favors. (She will be living with me for 3 months helping me with my kids.)

Good luck -- keep me posted!

Evelyn
    Hi Evelyn...

I also thought it would be difficult to recline in my recliner after surgery, but it wasn't a problem for me. I would, however, recommend that you try to do it when someone is close by. I was able to recline without a problem, but, for a second, thought I wasn't going to be able to sit up again. After a moment, I realized it was just a matter of shifting my weight somewhat.

Best of luck with your surgery. I bet you're going to be super motivated to get back home and into your new bed!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the well-wishes. I didn't mean to hijack the thread! I will post more on my thread about last-minute preparations.

Cheers,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
      X