Pre-Op appointment freaked me out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roxjanine,

Do not underestimate how much difference a 50 to 60% correction will make...When I look back at the body I had in my early 20s, when my curves were more than what yours would be at 50% correction, I would take that body in a heartbeat! No one ever knew I had scoliosis, even though I always had some rotation in the lumbar.

It's terrifying surgery. That's all there is to it. I'm sure you didn't get two weeks away from it without a lot of deep thought and soul searching and weighing the benefits against the advantages.

When I get within two weeks I think I will be a basket case, and it may be one of the times in my life when I actually consider accepting some pharmaceutical calming, although I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. If only someone could just knock me out while I'm sleeping one night, when I'm still thinking it's a couple of weeks away, and not wake me until it's all over.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Yeah, like if they could just knock us out right about now (7-8 weeks out), and wake me up when I've recovered for a couple of months! (Rip-Van-Winkle-style scoliosis surgery!!)

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I know what you mean, Evelyn. John and I were on our way home from a nice vacation playing golf in Gulf Shores knowing that it would be the last for quite some time, when I checked our answering machine which had a message from Dr. Lenke's office with the schedule for my my whole day of pre- op tests The reality that I was going through with major surgery scared me unbelievably since I had seldom been in a hospital. This was also exactly at the time that well meaning friends and family members expressed their opinions that I was crazy to have major back surgery when I was in little pain. I finally told myself that I trusted my surgeon enough to go through with the surgery regardless of what others said, especially since they had no knowledge of scoliosis.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Well if I needed to be reminded that I need this surgery I was reminded today. I have great days but days that are the worst. My whole right side hurts, and the knots in my neck lower back and hip are killing me. I can't sit comfortable and even lying down is uncomfortable. I can't imagine what it would be like 20 years from now if I don't get this fixed. I feel crunches and compacted and even my right leg and arm hurt. I have to remind myself of days like this after my surgery, hopefully it will help.
          Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
          Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
          27 years old
          http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
          Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
          T2-L2 or L3
          Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Roxjanine,
            I'm sorry you're feeling so aweful. But, like you said, it is a reminder of why you are having this done. Just imagine yourself 20 years from now without the fusion. You are still very young and have age on your side. I'm having a bad time of it right now, too. But surgery isn't quite on the table for me, yet, as my curves are not as large as yours. I'm having trouble with a lot of sciatic pain for the last few days. Argh! It's not related to the scoli, as far as I know. I have DDD in my lower lumbar. So even if I have the surgery, it won't fix that unless they fuse the last couple of lumbar. I've never heard of fusing the T-spine and skipping a few and then fusing the lower L-spine. I hope you get to feeling better physically and mentally as your surgery date gets near.

Rohrer01
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Rohrer,

I think LisaB has fusion L5 to S1 and then a thoracic fusion. She did hers in two different surgeries about a year or so apart, though. The first to fix the pain in the lumbar; the second to deal with the scoli.

Best,
              Evelyn
              age 48
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Thanks, that's encouraging. I haven't had imaging done in about a year and a half, at least on the lumbar. I lifted something VERY heavy in December 2010 and now the sciatica is going both from the left and to the right. My doctor didn't believe me about the right pain because it was a new injury. He's moved on, so I might either get another MRI or go back to my scoli doc and get the imaging that he wanted to do last time I was there. It's time to go back, but I'm hesitant because of what happened last time. But one thing I know for sure is I don't want to do it two step style. If I have to have one done, then I'm going to get both done within the same hospital stay at least. I don't want to drag things out if they both need fixing. I have terrible surgery anxiety. I've had too many surgeries for other things and have one coming up possibly very soon. ARGH!

Sorry, Roxjanine. I'm not meaning to hijack your thread. I know you have important issues of your own, and I'm certainly concerned about you. Take care!

Rohrer01
                Last edited by rohrer01; 01-26-2012, 12:56 AM.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

No problem!

Here is my new blog: http://everythingwillbejustspine.blo...blog-post.html
                  27 years old
                  T2-L2 or L3

Comment

Originally posted by Roxjanine View Post
                    Clever blog name!! Nice blog. I love your attitude. You will be a star. :-)
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

You'll do great !!!

Hello Roxjanine -

Read this thread a few weeks ago but I was out of the country with limited access to email. I'm back now and while there is not much to add to all the helpful words of encouragement you have recieved I just wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

I am about 7 months out from my surgery and while I still have some nerve pain I know it was the best decision to go ahead with the surgery at the time. Like you I was petrified about the arterial line that would go in my neck, anesthesia, post op pain etc. I honestly don't think anyone could have been as scared as I was but somehow just before the surgery I found a peace that helped me go through with it I will be praying for that peace for you and also the trust that these are qualified people who do this all the time so everything will go great.

About the correction, I had pretty large and stiff curves so even after the surgery I still have visible curves but like was already mentioned even the 50 -60% correction made a huge difference. I am sure you'll be happy with your new body even if he achieves only 50% correction.

Best wishes for tomorrow and see you on the other side !!!
                      Diagnosed as a teenager
                      Surgery 06/21/2011 Dr Boachie HSS
                      Age 34 at time of surgery
                      Pre Op : Thoracic 87; Lumbar 85
                      Post Op: Thoracic 36; Lumbar 21
                      Gained almost 2 inches in height !

Comment

Wishing you the best outcome and a smooth road to recovery for 2/2, Roxjanine!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you!

THANK YOU! I will be happy to have it done and over with- the anxiety part is not fun! I get to listen to my guided imagery cd before, during and after surgery. I read that it really helps with calming nerves and reducing blood lose. I will be sure to post as soon as I can after my surgery.

27 years old
                          T2-L2 or L3

Comment

Best wishes for tomorrow!!! You should be straight, beautiful and fully recovered for your wedding next year!

Evelyn
                            age 48

Comment

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery! You will do great!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roxjanine View Post
                                THANK YOU! I will be happy to have it done and over with- the anxiety part is not fun! I get to listen to my guided imagery cd before, during and after surgery. I read that it really helps with calming nerves and reducing blood lose. I will be sure to post as soon as I can after my surgery.

That's really neat that they let you listen to your CD during the operation! You probably won't get this message until after the big event, but wanted you to know I'm thinking about you!

Take Care,
                                Rohrer01
                                Be happy!
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X